Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

Ohio State Football Collectibles

Il_Padrino's picture
March 19, 2014 at 2:03pm
89 Comments

What items do you have?  Please share.  

I'm an avid historian of The OSU football program and wanted to start this thread to see if perhaps there are others out there that share the collecting passion like I do.

Some recent additions to my ever expanding collecting:

Keith Byars 1983 to 1985 game helmet (still investigating whether it was also used in his first season 82'):

In 84' Byars was runner-up in Heisman voting to Doug Flutie who was riding the media storm when BC beat Miami on his Hail Mary pass.  We will never know, but many feel that Byars had it won but the Flutie pass and Flutie being a senior that year allowed him to overtake Byars in the voting... plus many must have felt that Byars would have his senior year to win (sadly he injured his foot in pre-senior year training). 

Keith Byars would finish as the runner-up to Flutie, falling victim to two of the Heisman voters’ most aggravating tendencies- rewarding a guy for one play or game (see Tim Brown, Charles Woodson, Desmond Howard, Flutie) and looking at career numbers instead of who had the best year.

Link to a great write-up on Byars done by Joe Beale 5 years ago:

http://www.elevenwarriors.com/2009/06/25-years-ago-keith-byars.html

Keith Byars multi-season worn helmet.
Got my Byars group in one spot for a photo (all came from the same location... Byars).

1. 84 OSU vs Illinois game ball presented to Byars for his 274 yards and 5 TD's.

2. 85 Fiesta Bowl ball was a gathering of All-America's from all sports and they were presented this ball (it has several autographs on it). 

3. Photo in the center (Byars with Bo Jackson at the 1986 Ricoh Japan Bowl). 

4. Byars 1986 Japan Bowl jacket still has a Japanese restaurant menu folded in the pocket and equated to his "last meal" - meaning his LAST game in an Ohio State uniform.

5. His helmet.

Byars
Byars

Il_Padrino's picture

1916 Ohio State vs. Wisconsin, it has been stated that this was Chic Harley’s “coming out” game where he accounted for all 14 of OSU’s points that day, it was homecoming, and the crowd numbered 12,500 making it the largest crowd to ever see an Ohio State game.  Coming in to the game the Badgers had outscored their opponents 91-10 and were considered “sure locks” to beat the young Buckeyes; but Buckeye coach John Wilce had other plans and held practice until dark each evening in preparation for the November 4th contest between the two undefeated teams; Ohio State (3-0) vs. Wisconsin (4-0).  Ohio State finished the season undefeated (7-0) and won their first Western Conference Championship and in the process set the record (which still stands today) for the most points scored against an opponent 128-0 vs. Oberlin College.

The ticket has seen its share of... well... time.  But here she is in all her glory:

1916 Ohio State vs. Wisconsin Ticket.

Living the life!  Go Buckeyes!

+5 HS
Il_Padrino's picture

1919 Ohio State vs. Michigan.  Our FIRST victory over TTUN.  

Prior to 1919 the Buckeyes had not fared so well and had lost 13 games and tied twice.  Since 1919 “The Rivalry” has Ohio State vs. Michigan nose to nose with OSU posting 46 victories, UM 45 victories, while sharing four ties.  Chic Harley made a huge impact in the game by intercepting four passes and scoring all points on offense.  Following the Buckeyes' 13-3 win, the legendary Michigan head coach Fielding H. Yost asked for and was granted a rare moment to address the Ohio State team and stated "You deserve your victory, you fought brilliantly.  You boys gave a grand exhibition of football strategy and while I am sorry, dreadfully sorry, that we lost, I want to congratulate you. And you, Mr. Harley, I believe, are one of the finest little machines I have ever seen."

Chic Harley made such an impact that someone wrote his name on the front of the program (that is not Chic in the photo, as this was at UM).

I present my 1919 Ohio State vs. Michigan Program and Tickets:

1919 Ohio State vs Michigan Program and Tickets.

+3 HS
Il_Padrino's picture

1919 Ohio State vs. Illinois.  Chic Harley’s final college game and the 1919 OSU Homecoming.  Subsequently the last game of Chic Harley’s Ohio State career that resulted in his only loss while playing three seasons for the Buckeyes (1916, 1917, and 1919).  It has been stated that Harley was absolutely devastated, took all the blame for the loss, and remained in the locker room until well past midnight.  Center Fritz Holtkamp wrote “Chic Harley… was as wonderful in defeat as he had been after his many victories.  The only difference was that in defeat he took all the blame for the loss, while in victory all his praise was for the other man”.

When Harley was finished playing at Ohio State the Buckeyes had only one loss over his three seasons, Ohio State's first consensus first-team All-America selection and first three-time All-America selection, he became a charter inductee in the College Football Hall of Fame in 1951, was critical in Ohio State’s first victory over Michigan, and through his play the new Ohio Stadium aka “The Shoe” or “The Horseshoe” was finished shortly after Harley’s last game at a total cost of $1.49 million and stood as the largest poured concrete structure in the world.

The program and ticket from the game:

1919 Ohio State vs Illinois (Chic Harley's last game) program and ticket.

+1 HS
Adam21's picture

I have an Ohio State football with the following signatures on it:

AJ Hawk (#47 OLB; 02-05)
Jim Tressel (HC; 01-10)
Earle Bruce (HC; 79-87)
Keith Byars (#41 RB; 82-85)
Nick Mangold (#55 C; 02-05)
BJ Sander (#21 P; 2000-03)
Antonio Pittman (#25 RB; 04-06)
Scott McMullen (#15 QB; 2000-03)
Bob Murphy (DB; 77-80)
Bobby Carpenter (#42 OLB; 02-05)
Joe Cooper (#10 OLB; 98-2001)
John Adams (#49 FB)
Anthony Schlegel (#51 MLB; 04-05)
Jonathan Wells (#28 RB; 98-2001)
Dan “Big Daddy” Wilkinson (#72 DT; 91-93)
Pete Johnson (#33 FB; 73-76)
Michael Wiley (#5 RB; 96-99)

+1 HS
Il_Padrino's picture

During his explosive 1984 season, Byars found himself looking up at a 24-0 deficit to Illinois in the Horseshoe on October 13 in front of more than 89,000 uneasy Buckeye fans.  Byars turned in an amazing performance to lead Ohio State back, rushing for 274 yards and five touchdowns en route to a 45-38 win.

Byars ignited the crowd with his fourth touchdown of the day, a 67-yard run that featured a cutback at the Illini 35, where Keith threw a shoe and still outran the entire defense for the score.

His fifth touchdown came in the final minute of the game to win it for the Buckeyes. The Shoe went from crypt-silent to pandemonium over the course of the performance. Byars grew stronger and throughout the game and wore down the Illinois defense. It was one of the great comebacks in Ohio State history!

I present THE GAME BALL that was presented to Byars:

1984 Keith Byars Ohio State vs. Illinois Game Ball.

+4 HS
Ericgobucks's picture

I, also, was there. I was 11 years old and one of my first Ohio State football games in person. We didn't have much money growing up and if I was lucky enough to get tickets someone was giving away Northwestern tickets. I went to this Illinois game and like 4 Northwestern games until I was in college. 

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

That is Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!

+1 HS
Il_Padrino's picture

My 1890 MAKIO (The OSU yearbook) that has the first ever football team photo in it. 

1890 MAKIO
Columbus was once one of the leading buggy makers in the US.  Shame we hadn't converted over to motor vehicles.
Advertisement within

Take notice to the name of "Foot Ball" as it had been called in the early days and later clearly became "Football". 

Played a total of 4 games in 1890 (in the Spring) and by the time the 1890 MAKIO was printed they had only played 1 of the 4 (see schedule) and the game was our only victory that first season (Record 1-3):

Schedule

The 1890 team (our first) from inside the MAKIO yearbook:

1890 Ohio State team

+2 HS
DCBucki's picture

WOW!! Those are some awesome collectables!! I wish I still lived in Ohio so I could hunt some treasures like these down!

"The deadliest weapon in the world is a MARINE and his rifle!"
GEN. PERSHING, US.ARMY

+1 HS
Il_Padrino's picture

Active duty military, been moving around the globe for 27 years of active duty and haven't lived in Ohio since I joined in 1986.  In fact, I live in Italy currently and have been stationed in Europe for the most part since 2006.

IH8UOFM's picture

Might be able to snag an autograph from Della Valle in the near future

+2 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

Don't really have anything... My dad has a few things.

I guess my biggest thing would be a selfie with me holding one of Orlando Pace's Lombardi Awards when I went to the Gold Pants Social last year..... 

The first man gets the ((((Oyster)))), the second man gets the shell.

+1 HS
OSU_ALUM_05's picture

Mini-helmet signed by seniors on the 2002 national title team.

Replica jersey signed by Archie.

Hat signed by JT - I met him at a student event and just handed him my hat to sign - cheapest collectible I own.

3 foot tall Brutus bobble head statue.

Miscellaneous other stuff.

Most important:  2 college degrees (one for me; one for wife)

+1 HS
Anthrodigger's picture

I dont have a collectible per say but I did come across these folks at a game. They sell an awesome beach ball that looks like brutus' head. They are a local Columbus company so you can see them at some local games or order one online but id rather grab one at a game

Andrew Kramer

9Route's picture

added this somewhere else already, but I should put it here, too.

Jack Tatum jersey from the '68 season:

I'm just happy to be here

+4 HS
Il_Padrino's picture

Tatum for the WIN!!!!!  Very nice item. 

I've had this for a while, but just framed it with a turn of the century frame I found here in Italy (hand blown glass as well).

Rare 1909 Ohio State University football composite team picture.  Item originated from the Hatfield (player) estate.

This is the same 1909 composite team photo that the Ohio State University has in their archives, but the one they have is only an 8" x 10" except this item is enormous at 13" x 19" & on heavy paper stock.

1909 Ohio State Composite

Item originated from the Hatfield (player) estate.

Hatfield

The ol' Ball Coach: Coach Albert "Al" Herrnstein (1906–1909, coached in 39 games, with 28 wins, only 10 losses, and 1 tie.  Net result a .731 winning percentage).

Coach Albert "Al" Herrnstein

+1 HS
Il_Padrino's picture

1906 OSU vs Michigan Postcard

OSU vs TTUN

+2 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

1906 Very nice Padrino

+1 HS
Il_Padrino's picture

We almost got them that year, game ended 6 to 0 for TTUN.

From our first victory over TTUN in 1919, the record in The Rivalry stands at 46 Wins for The OSU and 45 Wins for TTUN, with 4 ties.

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

History buff are we? Nice job

+1 HS
Il_Padrino's picture

New addition:

Rare photograph from the famous 1950 Michigan v. Ohio State "Snow Bowl". The game was played in a blizzard and it made it almost impossible for photographers to bear the elements and take quality images so photographs from this game are VERY rare.

1950 OSU vs UM SNOW BOWL

+1 HS
Il_Padrino's picture

1914 Ohio State vs Illinois (we got lumped that day) field view of the crowd (how things have changed):

1914 OSU vs Illinois

+2 HS
Onionballz's picture

They need to stop worrying about who is sitting or standing and start enforcing THAT dresscode.

+1 HS
osubux5600's picture

How about a 1936 OSU team photo, original print, NOT a reprint.  It is signed by 11 players, including All-Americans Charles "Tank" Hamrick and Inwood "Tuck" Smith.  I have had this item for quite some time and I received it from the Hallabrin family (John Hallabrin played in 1939-40-41).  I would like to add a picture, but I am in the process of finishing the custom framing for my office.  I would be interested in any input on the value of the item, I have never really tried to find out because I don't intend to sell it.  I have many other unique items that I will post with pics soon.

"The Pride of the Buckeyes"

+2 HS
Il_Padrino's picture

Very nice.  Please add a photo of the item when you can.  You can send me an email and I have a friend of mine that is a huge autograph collector and has a keen insight in to the autograph world in regard to value and rarity of certain autographs.

*** I would like to add that NONE OF MY ITEMS ARE REPRINTS.

osubux5600's picture

I will post pictures as soon as I can.  I didn't mean to imply that any of your items were reprints, it seems fairly obvious to me that they are not.  Nice collection by the way.

+1 HS
Il_Padrino's picture

I didn't read it that way, just wanted to emphasize the point.  In fact I detest reprints and feel that any type of item that is reprinted does nothing but to hurt the market. 

Thanks!  I'll be posting more up shortly as I have tons of material.

Il_Padrino's picture

One of my all-time favorite items I own: 1922 Ohio Stadium Dedication Game panoramic between Ohio State vs Michigan.  VERY LARGE (10 x 44)

1922 Ohio Stadium Game Dedication Panoramic

+1 HS
Il_Padrino's picture

1913 Ohio State vs Northwestern Program:

1913 OSU program

+1 HS
Il_Padrino's picture

1919 Ohio State BATTLE CRY with lyrics:

+1 HS
Il_Padrino's picture

Eleven Warriors - ever wonder where the name of the site comes from?  Here are the original lyrics from 1919.

Buckeye Battle Cry:

In old Ohio there’s a team
That’s known thru-out the land;
Eleven warriors, brave and bold,
Whose fame will ever stand.
And when the ball goes over,
Our cheers will reach the sky,
Ohio field will hear again
The Buckeye Battle Cry –

Drive! Drive on down the field,
Men of the scarlet and gray;
Don’t let them thru that line,
We have to win this game today,
Come on, Ohio!
Smash through to victory.
We cheer you as you go:
Our honor defend
We will fight to the end for O-hi-o.
Across The Field
Fight the team across the field,
Show them Ohio’s here
Set the earth reverberating
with a mighty cheer
Rah! Rah! Rah!
Hit them hard and see how they fall;
Never let that team get the ball,
Hail! Hail! the gang’s all here,
So let’s win that
old conference now.

Eleven Warriors

+2 HS
Il_Padrino's picture

It would be great to see what other items are out there. 

+2 HS
Stoicpaisano's picture

Awesome stuff Il Padrino.

I have a couple game jerseys:

- 2012 home #8. Sizing pegs it as Southward, not Spence. The nameplate has been removed so I can say it was worn on the sidelines for a handful of games, rather than it being a backup set.

- 2008 road #6. Grant Schwartz jersey that saw some action. Nameplate removed but some evident purple paint transfer from the November shellacking in Evanston.

Might be of interest to some people, the OSU site is selling team issued 2012 jerseys for $125, 2013 for $200. Still some decent numbers left. Fat fans should stay away as these are fitted tight.

Swayze's picture

i have my great uncle's (Gomer Jones All-American 1935) shoulder pads and football pants from OSU.

+3 HS
buckguyfan1's picture

Gomer Jones was a great Buckeye!  My grandfather played with him. 

+1 HS
Il_Padrino's picture
Gomer Jones

In case you've never seen one, here is my 1935 Catalina Sweater Die Cut of Gomer Jones (very rare large die-cut).  He was one heck of a ball player!

+2 HS
bucked up's picture

I thought my autographs, classic programs and newspaper clippings were cool. But after seeing the artifacts from Il Padrino's collection my stuff seems a whole lot less interesting

+1 HS
Il_Padrino's picture

Some of my photos of The Shoe when she was going up. 

The Shoe Construction

+1 HS
Il_Padrino's picture

Recent addition: Vintage Rawlings R5 Official Ohio State Football.  Still trying to ascertain the year (era) that this may have been used.

OSU football
OSU Football

+1 HS
Il_Padrino's picture
Mr. Woodrow (Woody) Hayes and then Assistant Athletic Director J. Edgar Weaver and is a financial assistance agreement for player John C. Martin who was on the 55, 56, and 57 teams.
Hayes

+1 HS
Il_Padrino's picture

One of, if not the, greatest Buckeye ever to suit up: Chic Harley

Just recently added these very rare Type I photos from 1919. 

Chic Harley
Chic Harley

+1 HS
TheVictoryBell45's picture

Game program from the 2003 National Championship game autographed by Matt Wilhelm. 

+1 HS
Il_Padrino's picture

Recent additions:

1924 Ohio State vs Michigan

1924 Ohio State vs Michigan

2003 Fiesta Bowl Lapel Pin

2003 Fiesta Bowl

+1 HS
Hovenaut's picture

Some great pieces of OSU history shown here, very impressive.

Thanks for is sharing Il_Padrino (and for your service)!

+1 HS
Il_Padrino's picture

Thanks!  It is my honor to serve! 

+1 HS
MSchwade's picture

Thanks for sharing all your great pieces Dan!  Here's one of my favorite pieces in my collection, an envelope that was signed by then Ohio State head coach Sam Williaman in 1933 to an 18 year old prospect in West Virginia.  Willaman would remain coach of Ohio State through the end of that season and would move on to Western Reserve for 1934.  Before he could return for his second season, he passed away at the young age of 44.  Because of this, his autograph is quite rare.  I've only seen one other one in all my time of collecting.

Collect autographs of former Ohio State football coaches and All-Americans.

+3 HS
Il_Padrino's picture

Matt,

Amazing autograph, I've never seen one before. 

I'm still looking for a Charles "Chic" Harley autograph and more photos of him.

Dan 

Il_Padrino's picture
1926 Chicago Bears vs. Louisville Colonels. 

Ohio State Alumn Pete Stinchcomb is featured on this original broadside.

*** Chicago won the match 34-0.
Bears

+1 HS
bigbadbuck's picture

Lived just outside of Findlay in a housing (I don't think "development" is the right word here as it was still pretty much country back in 1968) group of 4 or 5 houses built by Pete Stinchcomb and accompanied him and my father to the game vs Purdue when they were ranked first in the country with Mike Phipps and Leroy Keyes about 10 rows off the field near the 50 yard line.

+1 HS
Il_Padrino's picture

Neat story; I'm always looking for Stinchcomb items.  He was an amazing player and, in my opinion, did a wonderful job playing alongside Chic Harley and never speaking an ill word of "playing second fiddle" to Harley.  A real class act Stinchcomb was/is.

+1 HS
Il_Padrino's picture

A few recent pickups:

1941 Ohio State Coach Paul Brown (please excuse the text but people continue to copy images and sell as original on Ebay or other sites so I protect my original prints in this manner).

Coach Brown

1941 Coach Brown
1941 Coach Brown

+1 HS
puffy's picture

My favorite piece is my 2010 game helmet pro combat style, and the cleats and pants to go with it. Also have Pants, gloves, and cleats to the 09 Pro Combat line, along with cleats from 2011 vs Wisconsin in the pro combat uniforms. A game worn jersey from the national championship vs LSU with nameplate and bowl patch both still intact. Numerous autographs, and a TON of game and practice cleats from a former Buckeye that were from his NFL days.

+1 HS
Il_Padrino's picture

Please post up some photos of the items.  I had hoped that many more would do so in the spirit of the thread title and sharing the different types of collectables we all have.  Thanks.

Il_Padrino's picture

Some more of Coach Paul Brown (1941):

Paul Brown
Paul Brown
Paul Brown

+1 HS
Il_Padrino's picture

1968 Ohio State vs TTUN = The OSU NATIONAL CHAMPIONS Program!!!!!

1968 Ohio State vs TTUN program

+1 HS
DCBucki's picture

Question, would anybody be interested in making copies of some of their pics/programs so I can frame them and put them up? The real thing would be great, but the images are awesome! I'd love to have some pics of Coach Paul Brown, Woodie and that program from THE GAME in '68!! I'll pay for the costs, message me if interested. Thanks!!

"The deadliest weapon in the world is a MARINE and his rifle!"
GEN. PERSHING, US.ARMY

Il_Padrino's picture

The photos of Brown, etc. will not be displayed without the ownership statement across the front because people are turning profits via reprints.  They are originals and will not be reprinted.  That being said, if you are interested in buying items just send me a message and we can discuss (my email is everywhere above this post). 

Dan

Il_Padrino's picture

Here is another one of my items; would really like to see what anyone else has. 

October 28, 1905 Ohio State vs Case Western Reserve (tie ball game 0 - 0) AT Ohio Field.

Go Buckeyes!

+1 HS
osubux5600's picture

Hey IL_Padrino...how do you post pictures in your comment, I would like to share a few.  Thanks.

+1 HS
Il_Padrino's picture

When you write responses there are icons (bold, italics, etc.) and there is an icon that looks like mountains (image tab 4th from right). 

Select that tab and  you will need to paste in the URL section the photo's information...

If on photobucket just go to the actual photo, select it, right click and select "copy image location" then paste that in the URL section.  You will also need to write something in the line below URL (line is called "alternate text")...  then hit "OK". 

Yes, Eleven Warriors could simply enable IMG links and I am mystified why they don't.  SO, in the meantime you have to do all the stuff I just listed.  Once you do it you'll get the hang of it and it isn't too tough.

Dan

Il_Padrino's picture

1909 Freshmen vs Sophomores:

+2 HS
Il_Padrino's picture

Are there no OSU collectors out there?  Come on folks!!!! WHAT YOU GOT?

Rob Reese's picture

This is an extraordinary collection.  Your collection is more Smithsonian-like than anything else.  I don't have much, a few signed things I managed to gather while a student in Columbus, and a few signed mini's and 8x10's since but hardly anything rare and unique like the items you've acquired.  Just...wow!

Not OSU, but I do have a 1954 baseball signed by the '54 World Series Tribe...Feller, Bob Lemon, Al Rosen, Early Wynn, Larry Doby, Al Lopez, Vic Wertz, Mike Garcia, Bob Avila, and more.  27 sigs in total.  

"All I have known at Michigan is failure.  That's all I know." - Taylor Lewan

+1 HS
Il_Padrino's picture

What a devastating season that ended up being.  To win all those games and then to lose to the New York Giants in 4 straight that included Will "Say Hey" Mays catch over his shoulder... might have been the beginning for all of Cleveland's woes (e.g. The Catch (Mays), The Drive (Elway), The Fumble... The Move...... etc. etc. etc). 

Rob Reese's picture

That 'catch' of course, now symbolizes the rise of a young, relatively unheard of future Hall of Famer; Willie Mays (was actually hit by Vic Wertz in what would have been a 2-run double, at minimum as Doby and Rosen were both on base, with no outs and the score tied 2-2 in the 8th). I tend to agree; that catch and series was the beginning of a long, long dark period of Cleveland baseball.

+1 HS
niblick's picture

Ive got some nice stuff for ya, just need to get off my asd and get ya some pics.

Il_Padrino's picture

Post them up when you can please.  I wrote a bit earlier on how to post up images in case you weren't sure how to. 

Il_Padrino's picture
1909 Ohio State vs. TTUN (at Ferry Field)
1909 OSU vs UM

+2 HS
osubux5600's picture
Stadium Chair

Signed by Archie & Eddie

+4 HS
osubux5600's picture
OSUMB Bass Drum w/Lights & Hat

OSUMB Bass Drum signed by entire band (2013) along with band hat complete with plume.  The ball in the corner is signed by Hawk, Schlegel, and Carpenter.  The other is signed by Doug Worthington, Brian Hartline, James Laurinaitis, Anderson Russell, Jake Ballard, and Thad Gibson.  Both balls are game balls.

+3 HS
Rob Reese's picture

Wow...I'll swap you my first born (for all I know, he/she might not be until ~2025) for that bass drum.  Very, very nice.

osubux5600's picture

Thanks, but that sounds like a questionable trade.  It took some work to get the drum into the piece that it is, especially with the LED lighting inside.  I'll be posting more stuff soon, those were just a couple of the easy ones.

osubux5600's picture

Original 1936 team picture signed by the following 11 players: Charles "Tank" Hamrick (Captain), Ironwood "Tuck" Smith (Captain), Nick Wasylik, Keith Bliss, Bob Miller, Frank Antenucci, Ed West, Thom Monahan, Charlie Ream, Ken Kleinfelder, and Warren Crissinger.  Still in the process of custom framing.

+3 HS
osubux5600's picture

Not the greatest of pictures, but this is a game ball signed by all current living Heisman winners.

+2 HS
osubux5600's picture

Another average picture, but a custom National Championship shadow box with LED lighting and panoramic print signed by the 2002 seniors and Craig Krenzel.  This is much larger than it appears, 40" X 30".

+3 HS
Rob Reese's picture

You've a very nice mix of both OSU relics and modern day memorabilia, Osubux.

+1 HS
DCBuckeye33's picture

im late to this party but I still have a plastic bag of grass (well mostly just sand now) from the field after the 2002 win over Michigan. Took up a chunk from the endzone and stuffed it in my pocket, kept that baby and will NOT let anyone throw it out

GO BUCKS

+2 HS
Il_Padrino's picture

Post some photos because I started this thread to be about collectibles that are important to each of us for our beloved BUCKEYES. 

Il_Padrino's picture

Now we're talking!  Nice items OSUbux. 

osubux5600's picture

This is one of the rough possibilities for the 1936 picture, nothing is permanent which is why it looks like it does.  i am open for any opinions and thoughts.  I want a vintage yet classy look.  Been struggling with this for a while.

+1 HS
Il_Padrino's picture

Being an avid Ohio State football collector I occasionally come across unique The Best Damn Band in the Land (TBDBITL) and halftime band related items and thought it appropriate to share some of them here.

1922 Ohio State Football (first game in new stadium (Oct 7)) - OSU vs Ohio Wesleyan pre-game the band marching toward the new Ohio Stadium.  Result was a WIN 5-0.

1922 Ohio State Football (first game in new stadium).

Il_Padrino's picture

Some random 1923 season band photos:

Il_Padrino's picture

A few more 1923 photos:

Il_Padrino's picture

1943 Homecoming (halftime) Queen and Court.

Il_Padrino's picture

What should have/could have been a National Championship season (but unfortunately wasn't) but we got a Heisman Trophy winner that year (Horvath).  The 1944 Ohio State Buckeyes football team represented the Ohio State University in the college football season of 1944-1945. The Buckeyes compiled a 9–0 record under Coach Widdoes and the Buckeyes outscored opponents 287-79 during the season.

1944 OSU vs Great Lakes (Oct 21) Coach Widdoes Formation:

1944 OSU vs Great Lakes (Oct 21) Ohio Formation:

1944 OSU vs Great Lakes (Oct 21) Paul Brown Formation:

1944 OSU vs Great Lakes (Oct 21) Paul Brown Formation:

1944 OSU vs Indiana (Nov 4) Dads Formation (Father's Day):

1944 OSU vs Indiana (Nov 4) FDR Formation (Franklin D Roosevelt):

1944 OSU vs Indiana (Nov 4) Mule Formation:

1944 OSU vs Indiana (Nov 4) Star Formation:

1944 OSU vs Michigan (Nov 25) Chic Harley Formation:

1944 OSU vs Michigan (Nov 25) Hourglass Formation:

Il_Padrino's picture

Come on guys.  Who has collectibles? 

airbuckeye's picture

I have one put for some damn reason everytime i try to post it on here it will not let me post it. And as far as i know it is the only one the even exist because there were only two of them even made. It is a statue of Archie and it was signed by him while he was still playing for the bungle's but it is him dressed in OSU gear.

+1 HS
Il_Padrino's picture

The image has to be hosted elsewhere (e.g. photobucket, etc.) and you copy the exact image location (URL) and go to the little landscape (mountain) looking icon above the section of writing responses and you can paste the image URL there.  You have to also make sure you give the item a quick name (line under the URL line) and you should see your image herein.  Not sure why 11W makes it so tough for folks to place images, but that is how it has to be done.