Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

How would you rate Jim Tressel?

BassDropper's picture
March 18, 2014 at 5:15pm
27 Comments

Today's poll question has got me to thinking, when Tressel was at Ohio State where would you rank him? (unbiased as possible please)

Best coach in America

Top 3

Top 5

Top 10

Outside of the top 10

ab1993's picture

Outside of the top 10 but he's still a damn good coach

Edit: I quickly read this and thought you were asking of all time, but while he was coaching, I'd say top 10.

Class of '16

+6 HS
Borrowed Time's picture

please stop downvoting comments you don't agree with

+4 HS
ab1993's picture

while you get down voted for having a perfectly valid comment. thanks

Class of '16

+5 HS
MacG91's picture

When he was here I felt only Pete Carroll and Mack Brown were better. No one besides Carroll won as consistently as Tressel did. He wasn't flashy but he was smart. Top 3 during the 2000s.

Mac..yeah

+6 HS
teddyballgame's picture

You didn't think Urban was better?

MacG91's picture

Sure Urban is excellent but he only coached at a BCS level for half of the decade and two of the seasons he didnt end with 10 wins. Of the 10 seasons Tressel coached he only had 2 seasons that didnt reach 10 wins. If Urban coached at the BCS level for all ten years and sustained that success then sure he would be above Tressel because of his 2 NC. During Tressel's rein at OSU he coached in 8 BCS games while Urban only coached in 4. 

Mac..yeah

+3 HS
BassDropper's picture

I think thats about right

1.Pete Carrol

2.Mack Brown

3.Urban Meyer

4.Jim Tressel

5.Nick Saban/Les Miles

DIRECTIONER

teddyballgame's picture

Harbaugh was also a rising star during that decade.

Oyster's picture

I have an issue rating Brown higher than Tressel.  When I watched Brown rub his lip raw on national TV during a Buckeyes game, that tells me all I need to know about who is the better coach.

+1 HS
Stellar's picture

Mack Brown doesn't belong anywhere near this list. Bob Stoops maybe but not Mack Brown

+1 HS
dbit's picture

I'd give him about a 10 on the "Hot or Not" app

+2 HS
Pa_snoborder's picture

Top 10. With all due respect to Jim and "Tresselball," how often did mike nugent bail coach out?  

"No one puts baby in a corner!" - P.Swayze.

-4 HS
Buckeyevstheworld's picture

Is this serious?

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+4 HS
MacG91's picture

Well Tressel won many many games after Nugent left. Sure Nugent was a very good kicker, but I dont think he ever "bailed" coach out.. I tend to think of Nugent more as a strategic luxury rather than a bail out plan. 

Mac..yeah

BrooklynBuckeye's picture

I would have had him top 3 with Carrol and Urban. Mack Brown didn't win jack before Vince Young ate that power star and was invincible for a season. Then he had a couple good years with Colt, but consistently had top 5 recruiting classes and finished second in his conference. 

+1 HS
Hovenaut's picture

Top 3, easy. One of the best coaches during the BCS era imo.

"Success...it's what you do with what you got" - Woody Hayes

+1 HS
kmp10's picture

Tressel, in my opinion, was top 3. Carrol, Saban, Meyer / Tressel (tie)… in that order. Tressel did a lot that grated on my nerves, i.e. thinking he was a quarterback guru, running a conservative offense as the teams de facto offensive coordinator, sitting on 10 point leads, taking his foot off the opponents neck, but the guy was a winner of the highest order. I disagree that Mack Brown was better than or even the equal of Tressel. Miles isn't close to Tressel as a leader IMO. He was average at Oklahoma State and has a tremendous built in recruiting advantage at LSU. In all honesty, I cannot say with 100% certainty that I'd take Urban over Tressel specific to Ohio State. I probably would based on Meyer being a top 2 recruiter in college football, but Tressel fit perfectly at Ohio State. It's like he was born to be the head coach here. No one, not even the most ardent Tressel detractor, can argue with the man's results. All the guy did was win lots of games, big games and championships. I'm gonna have to wait until Meyer's been here a decade(ish) before I'll say I'd definitely choose him over Tressel. I love Meyer and that isn't a knock on him… but Tressel earned MUCH respect from me. Lets see if Urban can do as well...

+3 HS
andretolstoy's picture

I always believed Meyer was Tressel's natural replacement. After he retired, not ousted.

I think the only thing that gives Meyer the edge over Tressel was the head to head loss. 1. Saban 2. Meyer 3. Carrol 4. Tressel.

Go1Bucks's picture

Top 3. Easy

Go Bucks!

+1 HS
stubbzzz's picture

Top 2 for most of his reign.  Him and Pete Carroll were dominating college football there for a while.  if we didn't have those embarrassing losses in the championship games and the head to head match ups with USC, i think it'd be hard to argue Tressel wasn't number 1.

+2 HS
Buckeyevstheworld's picture

That lying piece of poop isn't even in the top 200. Cheater, Cheater, Pumpkin Eater!

---

His last year? Top 3.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

OSU_ALUM_05's picture

I liked Tressel - of the realistic possibilities for head coach at Ohio State, I probably wouldn't have traded him for anyone other than Urbs.  Glad that worked out.

Seattle Linga's picture

The debate continues - The man is welcome back anytime in my mind.

Frankly Scarlet's picture

Easy top 3 based on his pure stats alone.

"Buclkle your chinstrap, we're gonna grind meat!" - Woody Hayes  

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

And not just by what he did at OSU.

+1 HS