Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

Cool Woody story

InvertMyVeer's picture
March 14, 2014 at 4:56pm
14 Comments

Hello Buckeyes! Figured I'd share a funny story about the time my father interviewed Woody.

For many years my dad was a reporter. In this case he was covering an outdoor campaign event in the mid-80s that Hayes was in attendance for. He told me he knew Woody was tight-lipped with the press but he couldn't pass up the opportunity to interview him.

I can't remember who he said the picnic was being held for, but first he asked Woody about the candidate and got one word responses. Knowing Hayes was a big supporter of the military he tried asking some questions about that but still Hayes didn't open up.

Finally when he asked how the Buckeyes were going to look Woody started talking. Of course Woody said the Buckeyes were going to be good, and after going into a little detail my dad asked him about Illinois (The Illini were coming off a Rose Bowl appearance).

"They cheat" Woody muttered.

"Well everyone cheats" my father replied.

Woody stood up, slammed his fist down and said "Young man, Ohio State does not cheat!"

InvertMyVeer's picture

My dad went to a different Big Ten school than either one mentioned in here. He said he had a lot of respect for Hayes (who was no longer coaching at this point) and immediately regretted saying 'everybody cheats' to him. Still, makes for a pretty funny story to share with my fellow 11dubbers!

Football is complicated...

+9 HS
Jason Priestas's picture

Very cool. Thanks for sharing.

Horvath22's picture

Thanks for sharing, IMV.

+2 HS
InvertMyVeer's picture

No problem! I would have posted it a while ago but my father had told me about it so long ago that I was a little fuzzy on the details. Yesterday I remembered to ask him about it and I'm happy to share it. I can picture the whole scene in my head and it just cracks me up!

+2 HS
M Man's picture

In the mid-eighties, Illinois DID cheat.  Mike White was running the football program in Champaign-Urbana, and he ran it like it was UNLV.  They finally demanded White's resignation, with a minor payoff, after the 175th NCAA recruiting violation came in.

Woody was right.  And Bo Schembechler HATED Illinois under Mike White.  In 1981, we beat Illinois 70-21 in Ann Arbor.  If there had been more time, we would have beaten them 100-21.

And yes; if Coach Hayes looked me in the eye and said that Ohio State didn't cheat, I'd pretty much take that to the bank.  

+2 HS
InvertMyVeer's picture

Wow didn't know that about the Illini coach (I'm a young Buck and that was before my time), thank you for helping add to my story. Always appreciate your insight on here M Man.

Hovenaut's picture

I've lost most of my elders and don't get home much anymore (been nearly a decade now). So to get to read/hear more about first-hand Buckeye experiences from the generation or two before us has become a rarity for me these days.

Another reason to love the site. Great story IMV - thanks for sharing!

I am not very smart, but I recognize that I am not very smart.

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Awesome Story thanks for sharing IMV - you'll need to pass that down in the family

+1 HS
PittBuckeye's picture

Always gota love a good story about Woody, they don't make em like that anymore.

+1 HS
BroJim's picture

I season my simple food with hunger

+1 HS
InvertMyVeer's picture

Sorry I bored you with a personal story about our greatest coach :)

BroJim's picture

No need to apologize, I was not "bored". It was, indeed, a cool story. 

I season my simple food with hunger

+1 HS
InvertMyVeer's picture

Gotcha... the Hansel part made me think it was sarcastic. No worries buddy!

Seattle Linga's picture

Do you have any other photo's of the Wood Man?