Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

Stop Hating

OSU_1992_UFM's picture
March 14, 2014 at 3:28pm
58 Comments

This is going to be short and sweet

I, along with 80% of this site is getting extremely tired of reading the "Fire Fickell" nonsense. I'm just done with it, every post turns into that somehow.

Thanks

Deadly Nuts's picture

Did you see the defense last year? I'm usually not the on bursting out "Fire Fickell" but.....

Fire Fickell

LEBRON

+13 HS
Buckeyeneer's picture

FIRE FINKLE!!!!! If not for him, the Dolphins would have won Super Bowl XVII!!!

"Because the rules won't let you go for three." - Woody Hayes
THE Ohio State University

+13 HS
Johnny-Shane_Utah-Falco's picture

Fickell? Fact is this: If he weren't a former OSU football player, he would have been gone a looong time ago!

And, it's not "hate" --- it's just --- LOOK AT THE STATS!

p.s. where did you get that "80%" number you threw out?

I bet it's closer to 80% think he should have been gone already

+9 HS
OSU_1992_UFM's picture

Past couple of days seems like a big upswing in the number of Fire Fickell comments

The 80% was a estimation...sorry im not a mathematician, but in the Indy sighting thread it seemed to be more about people again wanting him gone than about the actual "story" 

UFM_Renewal

-10 HS
Bolt's picture

Really, the defenses Fickell has been involved with in his time at OSU as both the linebackers coach and defensive coordinator have been statistically stellar. The correlation with the bad defenses of the last couple years and the piss poor pass coverage have been with the arrival of Everett Withers and Kerry Coombs. I'm not going to claim causality on that and I'm not saying it's all their fault and none of Fickell's, but at the same time those calling for his head are taking all of their frustrations on one man when the turd that was our defense was very much a collaborative effort among all of the coaches on that side of the ball and some of the players not performing and a lack of depth at certain positions.

Unky Buck's picture

Jason did give us permission to have a multitude of "Fire Fickell" threads though.

+9 HS
Unky Buck's picture

Stan Pac says it pays to name drop...

+2 HS
chicagobuckeye's picture

I see that you are relatively new to 11w. I will provide you with a little insight. People are going to complain about Fickell, don't open a thread with Fickell in the title and expect anything different. Also, creating this thread is part of the problem.

+11 HS
Earle's picture

FIRE FICKELL!!! provides the juice that runs the internet.  Well, that and Recent Comments.  And since we no longer have the latter, we have to deal with the former. 

Also, isn't FIRE FICKELL!!! supposed to be code for "I hate the new site"?  Where are the complaints about that? Oh, wait, I just made one.

Italics are for emphasis.

+8 HS
Furious George 27's picture

Good to know that no one should have a different opinion from yours.... Not sure if you know how these inter-web forums work.

Yeah, well…that’s just like, your opinion, man.

+4 HS
PittBuckeye's picture

I think it's more the amount of it, it's been a lot better lately and the timing seems strange, but for awhile there seemed like there were 2 new threads a day started about it. We all understand how people feel about Fick, it isn't a secret. It also isn't a secret that he's staying and we'll have to see how it goes next year.

+4 HS
Hovenaut's picture

Well, M...igan still sucks.

"Success...it's what you do with what you got" - Woody Hayes

+4 HS
OSU_1992_UFM's picture

Not new to the site, i don't like Luke but I also dont like reading it all over the site constantly

UFM_Renewal

-3 HS
FloridaBuck's picture

You know what I'm sick of?  People creating posts whining about shit. 

OSU_1992_UFM's picture

Want to know what I'm sick of?

Little punks that get on here to bash peoples opinions..I'm allowed to post what I want here, if you don't have something constructive to add then please go away

UFM_Renewal

-7 HS
AkronBuckeye13's picture

While we're complaning.

You know what really grinds my gears? People in the 19th century. Why don't they get with the program? It's called an automobile, folks. It's much faster than a horse.

+2 HS
OSU_1992_UFM's picture

I've heard rumors out of NC that they are working on a "flying machine"

Supposed to change our lives...

UFM_Renewal

-1 HS
97Buckeye's picture

You know what really burns MY ass? A flame about three feet tall.

OSU069's picture

Are you FUCKING KIDDING ME???! That's not a foul!!

Edit: sorry wrong thread

+9 HS
Hovenaut's picture

Right sentiment though.

"Success...it's what you do with what you got" - Woody Hayes

+3 HS
teddyballgame's picture

Let's wait and see how the next season goes.  Not giving up on Fickell yet. 

+1 HS
hit_the_couch's picture

Some people get a second chance, but 3rd, 4th and 5th is getting ridiculous.

And then I told her...i'm no weatherman, but tonight's forecast is calling for several inches!

+1 HS
andretolstoy's picture

Yes, and some of us wanted Fickell to produce a "Narduzzi defense" at Ohio State in three years when it took Narduzzi seven at MSU.

GABuckeye's picture

To be fair MSU's 2011 & 2012 were both top 10 defenses as well, so I wouldn't exactly say it took him 7 years.  

andretolstoy's picture

Ok. 5 and 6 years.  And we almost beat them with a wounded '11 squad, and beat them in 12'

If we were being fair, we wouldn't have all these threads.

OSU_1992_UFM's picture

Just go look at the thread about Luke being in Indy

It took 2 comments to start the Fire Fickell campaign

Just saying its getting very, very old

UFM_Renewal

vitaminB's picture

Fire Fickell >>>> Didn't play Stanford Football

+4 HS
Unky Buck's picture

Can Fickell be fired because Stanford didn't play Stanford football?

sbentz4's picture

I think that we need more of these threads...

+2 HS
BroJim's picture

I am for giving Fickell another shot. 

I season my simple food with hunger

+3 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

I trust in UFM and RDS - I through the last one in there free of charge.

+2 HS
Go1Bucks's picture

What?  We kept Fickell?!  Damn, dream sequence.  I thought we fired that guy already.  Oh well..

Go Bucks!

Go Bucks!

Seattle Linga's picture

My kind of humor Go1

+1 HS
Li Xiao Buckeye's picture

This thread reminds me of this...

I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine. - Bruce Lee

+10 HS
HighBallAce's picture

I can't figure out if that's a he or a she?....lol

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

They are called HESHE'S

Ericgobucks's picture

If you can't tell that is a guy in make-up you are never permitted to be my wing man. 

+3 HS
ek68's picture

Still laughing!! You all crack me up. Still want to see Luke & the "D" succeed. Let us see how well Chris & Luke work together & then we can discuss who deserves the credit.

+1 HS
BuckeyeWags's picture

It has nothing to do with hating Fickell and everything to do with excellence, competing, championships, and loving OSU. He may be a great guy but he has been catastrophic as a coach. Grow up.

-2 HS
allinosu's picture

Do you really think Urban would keep somebody that bad or are you off your rocker? I think the latter.

-1 HS
hit_the_couch's picture

Fickell pologists are killing me.

And then I told her...i'm no weatherman, but tonight's forecast is calling for several inches!

+1 HS
Crumb's picture

It's pretty simple, Fickell has a chance to right the ship this year and if doesn't I don't think he'll be around next year, if he does kudos to him.

"The only good thing about it is winning the d*** thing" - Urban Meyer on The Game The War

+4 HS
kmp10's picture

This site is for everyone and the opinions are varied and divergent. What's 'tiresome' isn't the discussion regarding Luke Fickell, but the people who think nothing negative should ever be uttered about anything Buckeye. This is a place to have debates and discuss our passion; Ohio State athletics (football in particular). You're certainly entitled to your opinion, but if discussing / opining about Fickell is tiresome to you then I suggest that you move on to the next thread. It's really that simple...

+3 HS
OSU_1992_UFM's picture

I agree with you, but its hard to avoid it when every thread turns into it...even if it has nothing to do with Fickell

UFM_Renewal

-2 HS
Ericgobucks's picture

I just posted a thread about a week ago supposing that if our D is greatly improved where would credit go. There wasn't a single "fire Fickell" post on the thread and it was a discussion about the defensive responsibilities and what we could become this year. I generally don't like to down vote, but if we could on topics still, I would. Your topic is whiny, and pointless. If people are upset with Fickell let that vent on a message board as long as it's not advocating violence or being hateful to the man. Luke Fickell is a cool guy that just sucks as a coach. I'd love to have a beer with him. 

Colerain 2004 G.O.A.T.'s picture

I wonder if the supporters would be willing to dominate offensively every game of the year but lose the conference championship and bowl game every year. As far as we know this could have been the second consecutive year we lost both games that count at the end of the year. Yes we beat *ichigan this year in the out house but they were putting on a clinic on the offensive side of the ball and our D made an injured Devin Gardner look like Cam Newtons bigger badder big brother. Ever since JT left the defense has been on a steady decline. The only common denominator has been Fickell. Yes he is a very good LB coach and yes he can recruit his ass off. It will eventually get to the point that anyone defending his defensive coordinator skills will either start to look like a family member of his or just a completely blind retarded homer that knows nothing about the game of football. He has his work cut out for him this year too,we lose two All American caliber possible first round picks off of a horrible defense. Lets try to be honest with ourselves here and say if there is a drastic improvement on D next year Ash is going to get most of the credit and it will probably be well deserved. It will egt the critics off of Fickells back unless the LB unit is just completely horrible.

I speak the truth but I guess that's a foreign language to yall.~~Lil Wayne

+1 HS
GoBucksOSU's picture

But Fire Fickell threads are entertaining at this point.

Ericgobucks's picture

Ok, if you are done with it, stop reading the threads. Unless you are like 8 years old and have no recollection beyond that last 3 years, you are missing out on some legendary defenses that played for Ohio State. In fact, over the last 20 years I'd put our defenses up against anyones year in and year out. We used to have a thing called tradition on that side of the ball and now we are bottom 10% of all FBS teams. We used to have guys that could use angles to tackle and safeties that were in position for both run support or pass support. Also guys used their arms to hold on to players after they hit them with a shoulder. We gave up over 500 years to Devin Gardner on a broken foot. We made a shitty Michigan team look elite. That is why my patience is gone. And that went for Everett Withers before he left, too. Stop coddling Luke because he's a legendary player and a cool guy. Cool guys should have radio shows, winners should coach. 

-1 HS
HotSauceCommittee's picture

Many of you think Luke Fickell went straight into coaching after his pro-football aspirations fizzled out. It is simply not true. Did you know Luke Fickell tried his hand at professional wrestling? In fact, he was the third member of the famous WWF tag team The Nasty Boys. It was Brian Knobbs, Jerry Sags and Luke Fickell. At Starcade 6, Luke cost them a championship match against the Harlem Heat when Booker T hit him with the spinarpooni.  After the match Nasty Knobbs hit Luke with Jeff Jarrett's guitar splintering Luke's right orbital bone. With his football and wrestling dreams done, he became a graduate assistant and budding defensive coordinator. True Story.

-1 HS
andretolstoy's picture

Our defense was bad last season. There is no getting around it. But they were still good enough to keep us in the Wisky game, and saved us (along with Hyde's heroics) against NW.

As bad as out defense was, we lost in the BIGCG because of our mismanagement of Hyde. We struggled against ScuM because of the same thing. As bad as I defense was, I cannot for the life of me figure out why our offensive minds would not get the fact (by the end of the season) that Hyde was the best player on the field and solely put the game in Braxton's hands? Meyer even stated at the end of the year that Braxton was the best player on the field. Now THAT'S horrific to ponder! As bad as our defense was, we were still in position to win the Orange bowl. We had some bad luck there in the end. As much as Fickell dropped the ball defensively, our Head Honcho didn't know who the best player on the field was ....

I agree with the initiator of this thread. But It's not so much that criticizing Fickell is old, it's plain ignorant and doesn't speak to the facts. It's a false narrative. And it's lazy to a point that we're almost fearful of pointing out that the Meyer philosophy actually has some weak spots.

I'm not into Mythology, so I can tell you Meyer and Herman were the one's who lost our two games last year, not Fickell.

How do you like them apples?

+1 HS
Ericgobucks's picture

Your post is full of so many incorrect assertions and poor logic. So, it was our offense that made up perform badly in NW, Wisconsin, Michigan, and the BTFCG? You can argue about some particular play calls, but if you are not grounded in reality, you can't have debate. MSU was stacking the box early in the game and daring us to throw. It was Braxton's legs that got the offense to finally break out while we were in passing formations. With the exception of a couple of long pass plays, we were almost entirely one-dimensional. As good as Hyde was, if MSU was stacking the box we had to be able to throw it. Our offense was top 10 in the country and our defense was bottom 10. It's literally that simple. I certainly do not feel Meyer is invincible or infallible. But Meyer is an offensive guy and our offense is as good as it's been in my lifetime. And no our defense didn't "keep us in" the NW game, Braxton had 3 turnover. We overcame 3 costly turnovers and our offense was still good enough to come back and win. I think you need to pick some different apples and try eating them yourself. 

andretolstoy's picture

First you assert this, So, it was our offense that made up perform badly in NW?

Then  you say this, And no our defense didn't "keep us in" the NW game, Braxton had 3 turnover. We overcame 3 costly turnovers and our offense was still good enough to come back and win. I think you need to pick some different apples and try eating them yourself

Yes, our offense, which apparently our Offensive coaching staff thought was entirely and only Braxton,  gave up three turnovers. Braxton almost threw away that game for us. Our defense kept us from getting blown out, and then Hyde did the rest. When we put the ball in Hyde's hands we were fine. I'm not sure what game you were watching? Nothing worked but running the ball. In fact, our receiving corps was almost as bad as our defense.

The point isn't that we shouldn't utilize Braxton, the point was that in pivotal moments in two games when Hyde was busting through the line and picking up yardage, Meyer and Herman abruptly stopped using him and "started thinking" with Braxton. The first was the ScuM game in the first half and then in the Championship game. If you remember, our defense actually made some stops BIGCG.

The game of football is one of momentum. Dare I say, momentum is more important than throwing up thousands of yards. When you begin to over think (or just want to look good in front of others) and just abruptly stop doing something that works, like rolling Hyde, you throw the entire (body) team off balance. Couple this lack of balance with a depleted defense, and you eventually lose a game. Yes, MSU was stacking, and Hyde was still busing through the line in the second half and gaining huge chunks of yardage. And then they abruptly stopped him .... and we began looking for huge, style type things; we forgot about Hyde. And then we expected our Defense not to crack. Well, that ain't football.

It was this quest of attempting to build solid momentum and balance that made Tressel a pretty successful coach. This is what made us wonder what the hell he was doing sometimes with the Dave calls. In essence, it was an attempt to go back to the bread and butter when you begin to overreach and make too many mistakes. You reset. Or, in the case when you have a buster like Hyde, you don't just stop him when he is running through the line.

Meyer-ball is just Tressel ball with the QB. Both rely too much on one thing, even with the obvious smacking you in the face. Meyer said after the BIGCG that he wanted to put the ball in "his best players hands".... well, I'm discouraged to tears that he thought that was Braxton and not Hyde. And no one in the press really called him out on this. They were too busy posting "Where's Fickell photos..."

Humbuck's picture

Before Fickell it was Bollman, before him it was Cooper, before him it was Bruce.  There is always a scapegoat on the staff with OSU football.  Sometimes he deserves the wrath, other times he is just the focal point.

The defense sucked in 2011 when Heacock was running the show.  Go figure, it was great when he and Fickell were running it together. 

The defense was bad last year and the entire D staff and players share the blame.  Fick gets the most attention but I think Withers was a poor hire and so-so coach, he was Meyer's 3rd choice at a critical point in the recruiting cycle where a full staff was critical. 

+2 HS
Killer nuts's picture

Wasn't Coombs the third choice? Not Withers

MadDogMike's picture

...and although Robert E. Lee took the Army of Northern Virginia into Pennsylvania to feed his army and draw the north away from Washington DC, due to the ravaged landscape of Virginia, we now know that this was not one of his better offensive tactics....uh....oh wait...sorry...I thought this was a discussion about that worthless Gen.Dan Fickell at Gettysburg....my bad....