Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

Why didn't O-St run more diamond formation last year?

Mean Mr Mustard's picture
March 13, 2014 at 2:46pm
21 Comments

Was it b/c Rod Smith was in the doghouse?  I know they ran a lot of it last spring and in 2012, but we did not see that much of it in 2013.

Any update from this spring?  I like a 4-wide w/ Wilson at the H-WR and Marshall in the slot more than the diamond this year. 

Brandon26841's picture

Probably because it just wasn't very effective in practice.

I remember being pretty pumped about that formation whenever it was added to NCAA football (the game), because let's face it... it just looks cool and it seems like there are a lot of different things you can do with it. But I hardly ever used it and it's really nothing more than an interesting look. Having Miller back there with Elliott, Wilson, Smith does sound intriguing, but if it was that effective we would had seen it last year.  

+2 HS
JakeBuckeye's picture

Yeah, I think Coach Meyer was playing NCAA Football as well when he decided he wasn't going to use the Diamond Formation this year.

+5 HS
JakeBuckeye's picture

But honestly, if that game was anything close to indicative of what is effective and not effective in real life I think offenses would be running Four Verticals every single play en route to a national championship.

+1 HS
Deadly Nuts's picture

That doesn't work too well. 

LEBRON

+1 HS
JakeBuckeye's picture

I don't know what NCAA you're playing, but if its any of the recent ones on Xbox, choose 4 verticals with a tight end (he'll be the "A" selection) and wait a few seconds and bomb it deep to him.

SoCalBuck26's picture

I agree.  But if you were to run a Vertical Set. I would always to a 5 wide set, w/one of the slots running a slant for a guaranteed 1st down.  When I'm lazy I could run this formation all day, just switch which wr is running a slant.

daytonbuckeye1983's picture

I have a buddy who puts the #1 receiver in the #4 spot in certain formations to match him up with linebacker and run the slant.  This has morphed into us spending 15 minutes before each game we play screwing with packages, depth charts, and audibles...During the Ted Ginn days, he would put him in as the QB in certain formations and just outrun everyone to the sideline, so cheap and unstoppable

Brandon26841's picture

Haha, obviously I realize that just because something isn't effective in NCAA 14 doesn't mean it won't work in real life, but what I was trying to say was... maybe it's just one of those formations that really doesn't add much more to an offense. It's just "getting cute" for no reason other than to spice things up and throw out a different look, when maybe strategically it doesn't really offer much. You can do a few different things with it (I know a lot of teams put a FB and a TE back there as the lead backs) but eh... it's probably just not worth the trouble to implement. This offense seems to be 3 WRs split out with a TE either in an H-back spot or in the slot 90% of the time and they can do pretty much anything they want to from that formation. 

Seattle Linga's picture

It would be nice to use the formation even in a blow out - just to keep them guessing,

Colerain 2004 G.O.A.T.'s picture

Oklahoma St. ran the diamond formation quite a bit and was absolutely killing people with it. I remember seeing them in the middle of the year run it down someones throat and got all excited thinking we would pull it out for the weasel or championship game.

I speak the truth but I guess that's a foreign language to yall.~~Lil Wayne

Mean Mr Mustard's picture

In 2012, we saw a lot of 2 back diamond formation--or what I would call it.  Hyde was in the pistol and Rod Smith was in the fullback position beside Braxton.  Putting Hyde in the pistol, instead of the inside zone or inverted veer postion, was great b/c it would allow him to run downfield more

+1 HS
Frankly Scarlet's picture

Coach Herman probably couldn't figure out a way to get it into the game plan.

"Buclkle your chinstrap, we're gonna grind meat!" - Woody Hayes  

9Route's picture

"Why didn't O-St run more diamond formation last year?"

...because the cubic zirconia formation was much cheaper to run?

I'm just happy to be here

+7 HS
9Route's picture

"Why didn't O-St run more diamond formation last year?"

...because the cubic zirconia formation was much cheaper to run?

I'm just happy to be here

+2 HS
Mortc15's picture

Unless your offensive line can just maul everyone out of the way, the diamond doesnt work because it puts all your players within 2 yards of each other. Add in the quarterback and you're down to 7 players left to use. That basically leaves at most 1 wide receiver, unless you run only 5 on the line. Why would a defense not load up the box against that? OSU didnt have a receiver good enough to consistently get open last year to alleviate the problem of loading up the box.

Buck-I4Life

buckeyedexter's picture

I'm pretty sure a caller asked Meyer that on a call in show last fall.  He said something like, to put 2 more running backs in there, you'll have to take out Heureman and Wilson, and he wanted to get the ball to them more not less.

buckguyfan1's picture

Saving it for 2014. 

Son of Sevenless's picture

Ahh, the Diamond Formation Discussion. It must be March. On a serious note, though, it would be interesting to see it implemented with all these talented backs. Just not sure the coaches will give it serious consideration due to the success of the offense without it.

+1 HS
PittBuckeye's picture

Been wondering when this thread would show up. Only one response.

bull1214's picture

the problem with the diamond formation in 2013 was we only had 2 guys touching the ball 90% of the time in miller/hyde. the defense reads those 2 no matter what formation they're in. diamond needs 4 capable guys including receivers downfield to be more effective.