Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

Saban continues to prove what a joke he really is

Floyd Stahl's picture
March 5, 2014 at 4:41am
36 Comments

In this article on espn.com, Nicky Saban continues to tout player safety as a reason for slowing down the game. First of all, he compares playing more plays to someone smoking more cigarettes. "The fastball guys (up-tempo coaches) say there's no data out there, and I guess you have to use some logic. What's the logic? If you smoke one cigarette, do you have the same chances of getting cancer if you smoke 20? I guess there's no study that specifically says that. But logically, we would say, 'Yeah, there probably is.'"

Secondly, he says,"I always go back to what they do in the NFL because they spend millions of dollars to figure out what's best for the game," Saban said. You mean, Nicky, because they spend millions of dollars in concussion research and then cover it up, and that's what's best for the game? I can't believe this guy says these things without a smirk or without laughing, they are so outlandish. Just another day in Nicky's egocentric, self-involved SEC-centered world, nothing to see here. Move along now.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/10552938/nick-saban-alaba...

Silver Bullet 10's picture

Saban is a punk. This is the douchebag who stepped over one of his convulsing players. What a piece of shit. He's tainting his legacy.

AngryWoody's picture

Mark Emmert is so far up Saban's ass he can do or say whatever he wants.

Our Honor Defend!

+2 HS
Oyster's picture

The bottom line is this, with the success he has had in recent years, he will get a platform and an audience to plead his case.  People will listen, people will report on it and the NCAA will take notice.  Reverse the roles and have the coach at a .500 type team who has been plodding along for the last few years and nobody will give him a second thought.

+1 HS
Buckeyevstheworld's picture

Well Bert is also getting a platform when his team was awful last year.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Point - Counter Point - well taken

+1 HS
TUNBUCK89's picture

I think OYSTER has a certain coach in mind. Our beloved  coach for the Team Up North.

darbnurb's picture

I agree with Saban.  We must reduce the number of plays per game.  We cannot have 40+ point games at the expense of these exploited athletes.  Saban should advocate the following to injury to student athletes.    

1.  Let the game clock keep running (stop only for scores).  No stoppage for incomplete passes, 1st downs, or out of bounds.  Make it like the other football.

2.  Overtime should be eliminated.

3.  QB's and offensive linemen should sit at least 1 offensive drive per half.

4.  No spring practice.

5.  Cheerleaders should only be tossed in the air twice per game.  

6.  NCAA should forbid athletes from smoking more than 1 cigarette per day.

7.  Incorporate more streakers to interrupt play (keep clock running).  

8.  Extend the play clock.  

9.  Play 8 v 8.  After all, fewer players on the field = fewer injuries.

10.  Forbid 85 limit scholarship teams to play 65 limit scholarship teams.    

+8 HS
Oyster's picture

I'm ok with all these except #5.  You simply went too far with that one.

+4 HS
c92996p's picture

Number 8 should be "Eliminate the play clock."

+2 HS
JohnnyKozmo's picture

I'm surprised he didn't bring up the game clock running after the player goes out of bounds.  I seem to remember something happening along these lines, that gave Bama 1 second to attempt a long field goal, hmmmm......

+3 HS
Floyd Stahl's picture

Haha, I wish I could upvote this.

+1 HS
D-Day0043's picture

I've got you covered. ;-)

I am D-Day0043 and I approve this message.

Hovenaut's picture

11. No returning of missed field goals.

+4 HS
Oyster's picture

So you don't think that Saban would want this rule?

TUNBUCK89's picture

Or whistle the game over as soon as the clock expires even if a play is still in progress.

FROMTHE18's picture

still think that the SEC should just go ahead and implement its own rule on game-speed. Similar to the DH. Let conferences vote on it. If they want to have conference games be moderated that way then so be it, but if the B1G doesn't want it, then why should the B1G be forced to have it? Bowl games are 'neutral' site games, therefore the NCAA rule would apply (i.e. no slow-down rule). If the SEC wants to slow their games down, go for it, I'd love to see how conditioned those players are then when they'd have to go up against the Baylor, Oregon, and Ohio State's of the world. 

Chief B1G Dump's picture

Can we just expose all of his cheating once and for all and put and end to this turd?

He is out of control and a terrible human...

+4 HS
TUNBUCK89's picture

That will require ousting Mark Emmert first.

BUCKSOMIES's picture

Three words:  Saban's A Bum!

+1 HS
brandonbauer87's picture

To further his analogy, I think someone that normally smokes 20 cigarettes is more capable of handling it than someone who normally smokes 1. 

+1 HS
Unky Buck's picture

His analogy is freaking terrible. For one, does anyone know of anyone who says they smoke 1 cigarette a day. First off, let's be realistic when trying to compare things and not use grossly understated numbers to prove a point. Secondly, the fact that there is no data saying anything in regards to player safety with more snaps a game can't be compared to something where there is data. Again, just because you make an assumption doesn't make it right. Remember, all an assumption means is that you'll be an ass and the ump will shun you. Lastly, yeah, the NFL tries and keeps plays down because, ya know, the Bills no-huddle offense back in the early 90's didn't help pave the way for teams to increase the amount of offensive plays per game and that has never been utilized again.

+1 HS
Buckeye5000's picture

Assume: when you assume you make an (ASS) out of (U) and (ME).

Go Bucks!

Unky Buck's picture

Yeah, I know what it is, lol. Did you click the link to it? There's a reason it was phrased that way.

+1 HS
Buckeye5000's picture

No I didn't click the link before but I just did. The Fresh Prince of Bel Air was one of my favorite '90's t.v. shows. Great clip that I had forgotten about. +1 for you :). I was just trying to add to what you said. Even without the clip, great post. But the clip made it even better, if I could you would get a +2 (actually you kind of did get a +2 because I am the one who up voted your original post). Bravo Unky (Uncle) Buck...also one of my favorite movies.

Go Bucks!

SilverState's picture

Would be great if a media member asked him if he is concerned about the number of plays, why not reduce the length of quarters from 15 to 12 minutes. Would love to see his response.

+1 HS
Oyster's picture

That is an oustanding proposition!

Kudos to you.

TUNBUCK89's picture

That proposition WOULD NEVER get approved by ..............E$PN !!!

sbentz4's picture

According to this analogy, I guess they should stop playing football altogether.

Norwalk's picture

no...he said it's okay to smoke.. but stop at 19 per day...any more than that is bad for your health...

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Maybe fans should stop attending games because fights can break out occaisionally and that is harmful and destructive.

Buckeyeneer's picture

RIP SEC Speed 2006-2014

"Because the rules won't let you go for three." - Woody Hayes

THE Ohio State University

+1 HS
GOOMBAY's picture

"Our game's getting to where it's not about blocking and tackling," Saban said. "It's about how fast can we go so they can't get lined up. Is that what we want the game to be?"

Saban then noted his ancestral football objections to the forward pass, non-leather helmets, face masks, moving goal posts to the back of the end zone, AstroTurf, FieldTurf, alternate uniforms, replay review, and television in general. "I mean, who would ever need more than 30 or 40 minutes of sled drills? Next thing they'll be talking about is double-digit scores. It's just a dang shame where the game is headed."

+1 HS
Doc's picture

I would respond, but I gave up cursing for Lent.

"Say my name."

+2 HS
Buckeyevstheworld's picture

I guess that means you haven't watched Buckeye basketball lately. XD

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+2 HS
teddyballgame's picture

So now Saban likes the NFL?  lol

+4 HS
BuckAlum09's picture

Saban is a joke?

Yea I bet he laughs real loud every time he walks past his trophy case.

Choice words my man.... Go Bucks.

"...and when we win the game, we'll buy a keg of booze. And we'll drink to old Ohio till we wobble in our shoes."