Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

Jalin Marshall

Johnny-Shane_Utah-Falco's picture
March 4, 2014 at 1:39pm
45 Comments

Wondering --- did he redshirt last year?

I think that could really help the team in the future.

Wondering who else redshirted?

I think it can be a good thing when guys observe for a season and soak up all of the knowledge, instead of being thrown into the fire.

I think James Clark may be eligible for a medical redshirt.

Corey Smith and Mike Thomas...not sure on them either.

thanks

JakeBuckeye's picture

I'm pretty sure (almost 100%) that Marshall, Smith, and Thomas all redshirted. And I'm sure Clark will be eligible for a medical redshirt should they pursue it (which why wouldn't they, so yeah).

+4 HS
m5987usus's picture

Jalin Marshall was a  Redshirt because of a concussion suffered in summer camp that held his development back a little bit and because he was switching positions as well so he had to learn a new position.

O-H!

+1 HS
rdubs's picture

The answer is everyone redshirted.  Or at least way more than Meyer expected, not clear if that is more on the players or coaches.  I can't wait to see our offensive weapons this year, I loved Hyde but I hope we become less one dimensional this year.  That way when we go away from the run game we are more successful than when we went away from Hyde.

kyletp2's picture

Is this a joke?? Were you living in a hole the past year?

You are lame if you tweet!

-10 HS
BassDropper's picture

was thinking the same. 

DIRECTIONER

-7 HS

NOT a joke, Kyle.

And, no, I was NOT living in Detroit last year...but thanks for asking anyways.

+10 HS
kareemabduljacobb's picture

Just go here for the football scholarship rundown, which includes all of who RS last season.

http://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-state-football/scholarship-grid

+11 HS
buckeyeboy31's picture

Does anyone know when medical redshirts will be announced?  I know Underwood, for example, should get one for his acl tear last year

+2 HS
brandonbauer87's picture

Medical redshirts are typically not applied for until the player has exhausted his regular eligibility. 

+3 HS
The Rill Dill's picture

Definitely living in a cave.

-3 HS

snark snark...man, aren't some of us snarky? wtf

some people have a life outside of 11W, I know it's hard to believe

-2 HS
DeepSouthBuckeye's picture

There is life outside of 11W? Damn, I wonder how much I have been missing...

Loving all things Buckeye from SEC country in Alabama.
"How firm thy friendship....O-HI-O"

+8 HS
osu07asu10's picture

Asks a question even my wife knows the answer to...gets defensive when obvious blow back occurs...

Thanks for the contribution?

"They don't know what they don't know." - Coach Mick

+3 HS
seafus26's picture

Agree. I especially enjoy those that serve as either editors or personal assistants that have to monitor for spelling and grammatical errors in their day job and then feel the need to flex those high paid skills here. 

Go Bucks and michigan STILL SUCKS!

-4 HS
AndyVance's picture

I don't know about the OP, but I'm just a simple unfrozen caveman lawyer. Your ways are strange and frightening to me.

+4 HS

I'm just a caveman. I fell on some ice and later got thawed out by some of your scientists.

Your world frightens and confuses me! Sometimes the honking horns of your traffic make me want to get out of my BMW ... and run off into the hills, or wherever.

Sometimes when I get a message on my fax machine, I wonder: "Did little demons get inside and type it?" I don't know! My primitive mind can't grasp these concepts.

-1 HS
m5987usus's picture

i completely agree with this comment.  (There is nothing showing) LOL.

O-H!

+9 HS
The Rill Dill's picture

I heard we got two new defensive coaches?...

+1 HS
OSU_1992_UFM's picture

No freaking way?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

UFM_Renewal

Hovenaut's picture

I am not the Last Dragon, therefore I do not possess the power of the Glow.

+11 HS
Colerain 2004 G.O.A.T.'s picture

I got into a few heated arguments over last years receivers when I told people I seen Jalin in person and he would need a redshirt just to work on hands. If he got injured or not he needed that year. I did pick James Clark to have the best career and his injury might prevent that from happening.

I speak the truth but I guess that's a foreign language to yall.~~Lil Wayne

buckguyfan1's picture

Johnny-Shane, if you missed it M;ch/g@n still sucks. 

+2 HS
PittBuckeye's picture

I think we've thoroughly covered the bad jokes about how can you not know that. 

Let's all try to be a little nicer to the guy who was just asking a simple question. None of you are nearly as witty as you think, move on.

+5 HS

Thank you

I'm relatively new on here, and just signed up.

I used to browse the old site with ease, but I am still getting used to navigating the new site...and finding info.

+1 HS
AndyVance's picture

I beg your pardon, Sir - I am every bit as witty as I think I am. You have no clue how witty I think I am.

+5 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

OOOOOOOOOOO                      WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

+7 HS
OSUFlash's picture

I hear Ohio stadium is called the Horseshoe????

JK had to get one more in. It's all good fun.

osuflash

+5 HS
BuckAlum09's picture

One of 100 questions that's been answered 100 times in the past 3 months... also easily answered using www.google.com

Some guys just like the sound of their own... uh... fingers

"...and when we win the game, we'll buy a keg of booze. And we'll drink to old Ohio till we wobble in our shoes."

-1 HS
PittBuckeye's picture

So you bring this back to the top to again bash the poor guy. Maybe you could have just let this die and moved on?

+2 HS

Anyone else very confused after hearing Urban speak of Jalin in his practice interview? Every report from the sites say Jalin looked great but Urban says he looks like a total different player from last year and he puts that blame on the coaches. He mentions just letting the kids play and just go have fun on the field. Have to admit Im pretty confused on the whole thing. Did he look great or did he look like shit.

+1 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

Did he say "blame" or did he say "He's a different player and I put that on the coaches" meaning that they coached him up from a high school QB to a college WR?

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

+2 HS

Im not totally sure and thats the reason I am asking hoping somebody else might have a little bit deeper insight on the situation. And reporters wrote how electric J. Dixon looked but then Urban basically says the opposite again and singles the kid out for not looking good. I mean unless old Urbs talks in italics then it would all make sense.

OldColumbusTown's picture

Now that we are two years into the Urban Meyer era, I think it is starting to become apparent he doesn't give the clearest answers at times!  He tries, but many times talks in short segmented sentences that could have multiple meanings.

Based on his comments, I took it as him saying Jalin Marshall looks like a completely different player right now compared to last fall, and that is a great thing for now - but, he blames the coaches for him not looking like this last fall and not being ready to contribute the way he maybe should have.

Time and time again we've heard Urban lament the shortcomings of last year's freshmen class and their lack of production on the field -  I think his comments about Marshall correlate to that end once again.

TheBadOwl's picture

Did he say "blame" or did he say "He's a different player and I put that on the coaches" meaning that they coached him up from a high school QB to a college WR?

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

-1 HS
cinserious's picture

Did he look great or did he look like shit.

The correct answer is: Jalin Marshall looked like he redshirted and didn't play at all.

Life's daily struggle is choosing between saying F--ck-it, or soldiering on with your responsibilities.  

btalbert25's picture

I think Marshall is going to be stud.  He was the recruit everyone was excited about until the Wilson Hoopla started.  You can make an argument that Wilson needed a redshirt year too.  He needs more size and to learn how to block.  

+2 HS
Humbuck's picture

Jalin Marshall is 25 pounds heavier than Wilson and runs like a faster version of Braxton Miller.  Adapting to his new position has to be a challenge but watching him in high school, this kid has great vision and patience with a fast first couple steps.  He will be a part of some big plays in '14

Marshall, Wilson and Elliott will probably all be on the field at the same time.  That is some serious speed to  burn when you have a QB who is a threat to run or extend a play to make a pass to one of these guys in space. 

Would not be shocked to see Marshall rack up stats. 

Buckeyevstheworld's picture

faster version of Braxton Miller. 

Who said he was faster than Braxton?

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

Jalin is not faster then Braxton,Have seen them both in person and that one is not even close. Jalin does have a spin move that is unrivaled and is a tougher runner then Brax.

+2 HS
KevinJ's picture

Don't know about his speed vs Miller but if you watch his HS film he looks like Miller running the ball, which is something to get very excited about. As C2004G said his spin move is pretty badass!

Brandon26841's picture

Braxton isn't an elite straight-line speedster by any means, but he's definitely faster than Marshall. Marshall is more agile / quick than fast. He ran a 4.66 electronic 40 at a combine and he looks around there on tape. He's got enough speed, but he's not a burner. He doesn't need to be.