Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

Hyde allegedly scores a 9 on Wonderlic

RedStorm45's picture
March 3, 2014 at 1:28pm
40 Comments
Jim's picture

If he really did score a 9, which is below the literacy rate, then someone needs to question exactly how he made it through several years of college.

+4 HS
lsjSnail's picture

You do realize this test is the most retarded fucking thing they could make these guys take. Have you seen the questions? 

+1 HS
Johnny-Shane_Utah-Falco's picture

I am wondering, (after hearing him talk), what Prince Shembo scored. I find it hard to believe that guy qualified academically at ND.

I'm also wondering what Richie Incognito's Wonderlic score was...can't imagine it was too high.

-1 HS
703Buckeye's picture

Incognito bullied the Wonderlic admins into giving him a decent score.

"Attack the Strong, Trample the Weak, Hurdle the Dead!"
-Former OSU S&C Coach Lichter

+18 HS
PittBuckeye's picture

I think Incognito is actually a pretty bright guy, obviously has some problems, but he's kinda bright.

Buckeye Chuck's picture

I've never been convinced there's any relationship between a good/bad Wonderlic score and success/failure in the NFL, so I'm not sure why they continue to give them at the combine other than make-work.

The most "loud mouth, disrespect" poster on 11W.

+1 HS
AndyVance's picture

According to this fascinating gallery via SI, Terrelle Pryor scored a 7, A.J. Green scored a 10, and Terrell Suggs scored 3 points higher than Peyton Manning. What does this tell us? Not a goddamn thing.

From what I could tell, quarterbacks generally performed better on the test than players at other positions, but as with any set of data, there were outliers and exceptions to that observation.

Hyde will be fine.

+8 HS
osu07asu10's picture

http://footballiqscore.com/

The link is for a sample wonderlic test (50 questions in 12 minutes).

"They don't know what they don't know." - Coach Mick

+2 HS
teddyballgame's picture

I wonder if that site doesn't have harder questions than the actual wonderlic...look at the sample questions from the wonderlic company themselves:

http://www.wonderlic.com/sites/default/files/ClassicCognitiveSample%20Questions.pdf

They're very short questions you could pretty much just rely on common sense for.

osu07asu10's picture

Dumb? That puts you in the 96th percentile (%) for NFL players!

Buckeye Chuck's picture

But the Wonderlic has a timed component. I believe it's quite common for people to not finish in the alloted time. If you can't work arithmetic in your head, for example, that's going to slow you down some.

The most "loud mouth, disrespect" poster on 11W.

+2 HS
osu07asu10's picture

I've taken Wonderlic's for job assessments before and have always scored very well. The questions are not difficult and the math questions generally follow a pattern.  It is pretty amazing to me that most NFL rookies can't easily bang out a 20. 

+1 HS
teddyballgame's picture

That site doesn't seem to be following this principle...

"the Wonderlic Cognitive Ability Test presents its questions in an open response format that becomes increasingly more difficult as one progresses through the test."

Some of the more challenging (or time intensive) questions have been given to me early while rather simple ones were given towards the end of the test.  I have a feeling the actual wonderlic test is fairly easy up until about question 20 or so.

+1 HS
vitaminB's picture

I hate doing math in my head.  Ugh.  I did get a 28 though, and killed 12 minutes of work.

+1 HS
OldColumbusTown's picture

Dan Marino supposedly scored a 15, I believe.  I also believe he turned out fine.

+1 HS
CALPOPPY's picture

Maybe if he had scored a 16 he would have won a Superbowl.

I'm a hurtin' buckaroo.

+6 HS
kholmes's picture

Tony Gerdeman from the Ozone retweeted the below tweet earlier today...well stated i believe as Im sure a bunch of losers on twitter will sit and laugh at the low scores as they are leaked.

@BrendanLeister: The only reason most of you want the wonderlic score info is so you can make fun of a bunch of 22 year olds. Says more about you than them.

+3 HS
vitaminB's picture

Taylor Lewan ate his paper, cried and then soiled himself.

+8 HS
brandonbauer87's picture

You forgot the part where he slammed his head into the desk to make his face bleed. 

+2 HS
buckguyfan1's picture

Used to use them often and 9 is very low.

Once had a girl/woman get a 49 out of 50 in 10 1/2 minutes with no college degree.  She was one of the best partners we ever hired at that company.  Too bad her family issues got in the way.

Hyde will be fine.  It's one tool to use when drafting an athlete.  He has a higher "footbal" IQ I'm quite sure, which is equally important as far as on the field stuff go.

Good Luck El Guapo!

+2 HS
sbentz4's picture

I think a lot of people don't understand that cognitive ability (what the Wonderlic measures) is most predictive for complex jobs.  The lower the complexity of the job, i.e. NFL running back, the less predictive the test.  If I was hiring an engineer or attorney, the cognitive ability test would be much more important of a predictor.  I believe that QB is a much more complex job than RB and so the Wonderlic is more important for QB than other positions.

+2 HS
Chief B1G Dump's picture

Wonderlic scores DO matter for a couple of positions like QB...getting a 9 though, if true, cant help matters.  But not sure RB is a position where brains is one of the top required attributes.  Still embarrassing if true...

Many employers these days are requiring potential employees take the test, Abercrombie for example.  I would say the test holds more merit in the corporate world than the athletic field.

AndyVance's picture

I agree with everything you said. Hyde's ability to run between the tackles and shake off four or five defenders has nothing to do with his ability to do word problems.

+1 HS
vitaminB's picture

Yes, but when you add this to his low bench reps (17 IIRC) and the fact that he pulled a hamstring on his very first attempt at showcasing his athletic ability, it doesn't bode well for his draft stock.

+4 HS
AndyVance's picture

Oh, that's certainly the case. His combine was an unmitigated disaster.

That said, with a solid pro day, and his highlight reel of a season, he's clearly worth taking with an early pick.

buckeyebowhunter's picture

I took the test and got a 29. It said It was as good as Golden Tate.  Not sure if that's a good or bad score.  

+1 HS
daveyt11's picture

Thats pretty decent...I got a 27, I am as smart as Joe Flacco.

faux_maestro's picture

Excuse me while I go puke......

You scored 25
That's as good as Ben Roethlisberger. He scored a 25

Inní mér syngur vitleysingur

OSU_ALUM_05's picture

Are we getting to the territory where it's so bad you question whether it was on purpose?

+1 HS
BABuckeye's picture

Everyone knows the Wondelic is coming...why not take a few practice exams online so you don't embarrass yourself?  

+5 HS
Buckeyeneer's picture

Hey, BABUCKEYE, its not like they have millions riding on it . . . oh, wait. . .

"Because the rules won't let you go for three." - Woody Hayes

THE Ohio State University

+2 HS
Go1Bucks's picture

These tests are only to make people in charge feel good about their decisions.  Another example of useless measurements - sorta like listening to a psychiatrist or a psychologist.

Hyde will be fine, especially on the Browns.

Go Bucks!

-2 HS
Crimson's picture

Crimson: So what do you so for a living?

Go1Bucks: I'm a psychiatrist.

Crimson: *Uncontrollable laughter*

I hope my inner dialogue isn't spilling onto the internet again.

+1 HS
Buckeyeneer's picture

Wat?

I don't know why I am laughing at this, but I am.

"Because the rules won't let you go for three." - Woody Hayes

THE Ohio State University

Seattle Linga's picture

Comments are true about practicing on line. This should be a requirement from the coaches who care.

The Rill Dill's picture

He ain't come to play skool.

+3 HS
sbentz4's picture

I think that the test is not really that important for NFL players, but very important if they do not pan out.  Cognitive ability or intelligence is really important for most high paying jobs, just not playing in the NFL.

causeicouldntgo43's picture

Did someone say Wonder Lick? 

+3 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

That was so wrong ................yet so right

+3 HS