Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

Corey Brown

Drewbuckeye's picture
February 23, 2014 at 9:42am
54 Comments

Just ran an unofficial 4.37 40!

buckeye4life050233's picture

He took his time off and got healthy and showed the speed he had to start the season.  He definitely lost a step late in the year bc of being injured/dinged up 

+1 HS
gumtape's picture

He will definitely get his chance. I hope he ends up on a decent team with a good qb.

just another psycho, irrational, delusional Ohio St fan

cpewster's picture

I saw that time and was amazed. A lot of people say Devin Smith is the fast one but I doubt he can run a 4.37 40 time.

Si vis pacem parabellum.

+1 HS
jaxbuckeye's picture

Depends.  Was Devin a track guy?  Track guys always run the fastest 40s.  Hated running the 40 for that simple reason.  Only did it during summer session.  Big difference between running  track and running during fb.

+1 HS
CC's picture

Devin was.  It's all in the start and I agree, it's awkward to stay low for that long.  My fastest times always felt slow because I felt like I was stumbling at the start.

Chief B1G Dump's picture
+11 HS
703Buckeye's picture

Al Davis just rose from the dead.

"Attack the Strong, Trample the Weak, Hurdle the Dead!"
-Former OSU S&C Coach Lichter

+3 HS
SilverBullet33's picture

If he has risen....let's hope he tells his kid to get a haircut. Has anyone ever told him about that cut?

+1 HS
route4buckeye's picture

Good for Corey. Might have just gotten himself a bump up in the draft if he builds on his impressive 40.

+1 HS
brandonbauer87's picture

If we could dig up old posts I'd find where I said Philly was 2nd fastest on the team behind Roby. 

+2 HS
FROMTHE18's picture

can catch passes in traffic…breaking tackles improved but wasn't elite…definitely has the ability to be a very good WR at the next level.

jaxbuckeye's picture

Agreed.  Biggest problem for him was first tackler got him down too many times.   Even Urban pointed that out.

Chise47's picture

I jumped out my seat screaming, "Hell Yeah!!!!!", when I seen that time.

He would be a good fit for any QB that spreads it around. S.D., N.E., N.O., Den., or G.B.: I truly believe he will excell in the NFL like Hartlien has.

+1 HS
BassDropper's picture

Who knew? I saw it live and was stunned. I knew he was fast, but I was thinking he was a low 4.5 guy. 

DIRECTIONER

bigbadbuck's picture

That's worth only a 4.55 or a 4.6 in the SEC.

Battles are sometimes won by generals; wars are nearly always won by sergeants and privates. Football is no different, the guys down in the trenches win the games, not the coach.            

brandonbauer87's picture

He didn't look great running routes. No drops, but not very clean routes. 

jaxbuckeye's picture

Correction, I saw at least one drop.

brandonbauer87's picture

Good point. I didn't realize I missed the first part of receiving drills until I saw the second group go. 

m5987usus's picture

I bet his stock will rise now with that time, the combine is all about the speed

O-H!

+2 HS
PittBuckeye's picture

Wow I had no clue he would be in that range.

+1 HS
OSUStu's picture

Very impressive. Get em Philly!

If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.  ~ Bruce Lee

+1 HS
kareemabduljacobb's picture

Well they just released the official 40 times, and Philly wasn't in the top 10... so he either is at 4.44 (the 10th fastest WR was at 4.44) or slower officially.

+1 HS
OSUStu's picture

Philly wasn't top 10 with the unofficial times either. He was 11 at 4.37. So, he might be right below that 4.44 mark.

If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.  ~ Bruce Lee

Buckeyebrowny919's picture

Yeah anyone have his official? Don't understand the wide variance in unofficial and official

To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift - Steve Prefontaine

kareemabduljacobb's picture

True, some guys are closer to their unofficial times than others like that Brandon Cooks guy official was 4.33, I think his unofficial was either 4.3 or 4.31... Watkins ran a 4.34 and a 4.37 I believe, but his official time was 4.43.

cplunk's picture

Unofficial is hand timed. That's always faster than the official electronically timed.

teddyballgame's picture

bleh.  why do they even bother with handtimed garbage

+2 HS
bergy22's picture

Officially via NFL.com his time was 4.51

+4 HS
Youngbuck85's picture

Anyone know what time the running backs run?

FROMTHE18's picture

how do you unofficially run a 4.37 and have it adjusted by nearly .2 seconds? Is it one guy doing the unofficial times and the computers doing the official or what? Just seems odd theres that relative large gap between unofficial and official. In football there is quite a difference in a 4.4 and a 4.6 so its just surprising.

+1 HS
rdubs's picture

So the main difference is the finish is laser timed, but the start is still hand timed either way.  Thinking back about it I am not surprised that his time was adjusted more because he pumped his hand before he moved his feet.  If the official hand starter took that as the start then he would be slower than someone who waited for his body to move.

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

I really hope he blows up in the NFL and gets with a team that can work on his positives and negatives. He is a real baller

The Rill Dill's picture

Unofficial: hand-timed

Official: laser

gumtape's picture

The official 40 time is a bit of a misconception. The start is hand timed and the finish is laser. A human reaction time on pushing the button on the stopwatch is somewhere between .12 and .2 seconds. Seems like a lot of inaccuracy for something that can mean the difference between the first and third round.

just another psycho, irrational, delusional Ohio St fan

+1 HS
Buckeye5000's picture

It makes you wonder why there is no laser at the beginning.

Go Bucks!

The Rill Dill's picture

He actually hates being called 'Philly'.  I'll bet he's really hating the fact that his combine shirt actually says 'P. Brown' on the back!!  I'm thinking he's gonna have to get used to, and or accept it.

brandonbauer87's picture

I think hating "Philly" is a thing of the past. It seems like he's embraced it in the last year and a half. 

Earle's picture

'I think hating "Philly" is a thing of the past'--W.C. Fields would like a word...

Italics are for emphasis.

BroJim's picture

Hell Yeah!

I season my simple food with hunger

FrontOfficeJT's picture

Philly might have a shot playing the slot. That speed will help him get a few looks 

TFON JT

teddyballgame's picture

Why wouldn't the start and finish both be laser timed for the official?  As far as I know the point of this isn't to test their reaction speed so much as it is to see how fast they cover the distance from point A to B.  Should be laser start and laser finish IMO.

Go to humanbenchmark.com and test your reaction speed.  Leaving room for human timer start is still inaccurate as hell and can be up to .3sec off.

+2 HS
CC's picture

I would argue reaction is part of it.  If all it was is getting from A to B why not have a running start?

+1 HS
2002osubuck's picture

Perfect for the patriots slot. They showed Bellichek watching his run intently, could see them taking him in the 4th or 5th.

hit_the_couch's picture

HIs official is 4.51. I thought it'd be better since he runs around 10.7 in the 100. He's still graded as not likely to make a roster though.

And then I told her...i'm no weatherman, but tonight's forecast is calling for several inches!

+1 HS
CC's picture

Why are these times unnofficial?  They are running inside and done with lasers no?

The Urban Legend's picture

It's unofficial because initial times are done by hand. They then go back and get the official time from the laser on the field

The Legend continues

OSUStu's picture

Which begs the question, why do they time the 40s by hand at all?  Why not just have one system that is triggered by two lasers and could give you the times immediately?

+3 HS
Crimson's picture

That would make too much sense.

+1 HS
The Urban Legend's picture

The world may never know.

The Legend continues

Brandon26841's picture

Well, they have to wait until the entire group (every single WR or every single RB) runs their 40's, so I'm pretty sure they have to have everyone's times to calculate the official times; they must compare them in some way.

What's interesting is that NFL teams pay no attention to the "official" times. It's really just for casual fans / a reference point. Teams usually always use their hand-times that they get themselves personally. It's weird... like with Taylor Mays a few years ago, he obviously ran a freakishly fast time and NFL Network had him hand-timed at 4.24, but the official time came out to being 4.43. After the combine, almost every single team said that clocked him at 4.30 - 4.33 and they all agreed that the 4.43 time was way off. NFLDraftScout.com is the best site to look at for accurate 40 times. http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=65827&draftyear=...

bergy22's picture

I believe that the laser time accounts for first movement, whether that is first hand movement or head raising at the beginning. So if Philly's hand was the first thing to move off of the start line, thats what the laser sees. Times reported by hand generally begin at body movement of of the line. That accounts for the some of the discrepancy between times but it is not all inclusive.