Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

Fastest Buckeye?

SlimBuckin''s picture
February 19, 2014 at 8:02pm
33 Comments

I Know its early but who are our top 3 fastest Bucks regardless of position or class?

SlimBuckin''s picture

1.) James Clark---WR
2.) Dontre Wilson-RB/FLEX/KR/PR
3.) Curtis Samuel-RB/FLEX/KR/PR

osu07asu10's picture

I'm still going to give Braxton a chance to crack the top 3.

"They don't know what they don't know." - Coach Mick

+1 HS
chicagobuckeye's picture

I always wonder with Brax because he appears to get caught even when he breaks through. Don't know if it is just who runs him down, he runs out of gas, or his top end speed isn't as high as others. Don't get me wrong my ankles break watching him make those plays, but top end speed doesn't seem to be his strong suit.

+2 HS
MacG91's picture

Braxtons best attribute is his acceleration, thats why he does the stutter step. His top end speed is probably around 4.5, but he can get there just as fast if not faster than anyone on the team. 

Mac..yeah

Mortc15's picture

I agree. I believe Braxton would be that guy that gets a jump on a field of 100m guys then gets left in the last 40-50 because his top end speed just isn't there.

Buck-I4Life

+1 HS
JTACbuckeye's picture

james clark, curtis samuel, dontre wilson, braxton miller, or devin smith?

normally the dbs are the fastest on a football team, but i don t see a whole lot of elite speed in our backfield with roby gone.

The strong will stand, the weak will fall by the wayside.  100% and then some!

teddyballgame's picture

Terry Mclaurin looks pretty quick too.

+1 HS
SlimBuckin''s picture

Parris Campbell may have some juice as well

m5987usus's picture

Curtis Samuel, Dontre Wilson, and James Clark, in any order IMO

PittBuckeye's picture

Depends on how Clark comes back, I haven't heard anything but guys can lose a step from that pretty easily. But he might be the fastest guy straight line on the team. I don't think Brax is top 5.

+2 HS
SlimBuckin''s picture

Is anybody just as or more excited about Samuel as they were for D.Wilson?

+4 HS
PittBuckeye's picture

A lot of people are more excited because of the size.

Brandon26841's picture

1. James Clark

2. Curtis Samuel

3. Terry Mclaurin

4. Dontre Wilson

5. Devin Smith

Seattle Linga's picture

Forgot about Mclaurin - he is lightning..........

mobboss1984's picture

Mclaurin 40 time is ridiculous. 

Dontre, Curtis, Clark, Mclaurin, Parris, Devin

Always be yourself, express yourself, have faith in yourself, do not go out and look for a successful personality and duplicate it.
Bruce Lee

One Bad Buckeye's picture

James Clark has some ground to make up after the injury, no?  Don't get me wrong, I WANT him to be faster than grease lightning, but I have to imagine a shattered ankle would cost you a half a stride at least.  

I've never broken a bone like that, so I'm purely speculating, but that's gotta be tough to come back from and think to yourself: "Yep, I'm back!"

"I'm One Bad Buckeye, and I approve this message."

Silver Bullet 10's picture

Bones heal back stronger when broken. After some rehab there is a chance James Clark is faster than ever. Will take a year or two though for that to happen.

gm3jones's picture

There is nothing more remarkable as learning to think better.

+2 HS
Silver Bullet 10's picture

At least it gets back to "100%"

+1 HS
gm3jones's picture

Yep. Surely fast enough ;-)

There is nothing more remarkable as learning to think better.

Dirty330Buckeye's picture

Devin Smith was the state champion in Ohio in the 100

+1 HS
Humbuck's picture

Zeke Elliott has some speed to burn.  Might not be the fastest on the team but he posted the 8th best U-18 110 hurdles time his senior year.  Won the 110 and 300 M hurdles state titles twice.  Started running the 100M as an afterthought during his senior year and won a state title.

He is really fast.

Would not be surprised to see him in the top 5. 

Mortc15's picture

Wouldn't it be nice to run a 100m as an "afterthought" and just happen to win state in the process? Must be tough.

Buck-I4Life

dcbucks's picture

According to the record books (100M) 

1. Jesse Owens .............10.20 1936

2. Chris Sanders ............10.25 1992

3. Anthony Cole .............10.29 2008

It's too bad they don't have an all-time 40yd in the football records. 

http://grfx.cstv.com/schools/osu/graphics/pdf/m-track/recordbook.pdf

+1 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

James Clark was a 10.43 in high school IIRC.

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

OSUFlash's picture

Clarks highlight video is very impressive. You almost see a little of Ginns stride in him. He is my x factor next season. His top end speed is lightening!

osuflash

Curt Heinrichs's picture

I was hoping to see someone mention Beth Mowins' right hand man, Mr. Joey Galloway. 

+1 HS
Humbuck's picture

Interesting thing about track times, we all know Terry McLaurin is a speedster but his 100 times are behind James Clark, Johnnie Dixon, Dontre Wilson, Zeke Elliott, Parris Campbell and Gareon Conley. 

Track speed and football speed aren't the same but it sure as hell helps to run a sub-11.00/100M. 

teddyballgame's picture

true, what people really care about is your speed in pads w/ the ball in your hand :)

BuckeyeJ's picture

I care about speed. But what I love is the stop and then the acceleration after. I love when kids have that home run breakaway speed after that stop

+1 HS
Hovenaut's picture

I like the fact that there are multiple answers to the question.

Didn't have as many answers with Tress or Coop's teams - a couple burners here and there, but not stockpiled like Urban has 'em.

"Success - it's what you do with what you got" - Woody Hayes

+1 HS
stubbzzz's picture

i bet it's Clark.  i'm really interested to see the combine times for Roby, Shazier, and Philly today.  I wanna know if these guys are really as fast as we thought they were.