Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

First Buckeye Drafted

MacG91's picture
February 19, 2014 at 1:22pm
33 Comments

Who do you all think will be the first Buckeye drafted? Its really only down to Roby, Hyde and Shazier. My thinking is that it will go Roby in late Round 1(will impress with 4.35 40 time and nice shuttle) then Shazier (4.48 40 time) within the first 5 of round 2 then Hyde (4.65 40 and most bench reps of RBs) shortly after within 5 picks. But its a toss up because you never know who these teams are targeting. All those times are my predictions. Also think Mewhort will go late 2nd round. 

tennbuckeye19's picture

You're right, combines and workouts will be big for them. I think it should be Hyde going in the 1st round, but it will probably be Roby taken late in the 1st. Running back value is down overall, but, if a team falls in love with Hyde, he could sneak into the 1st round. Would be cool to have both taken early. 

+1 HS
CC's picture

I'm (obviously) not a draft expert, but I don't see Roby drafted before round 3.  Last year I was downvoted to oblivian for suggest that Hank may not be in the first round.

RDS, then Roby then Hyde.

+1 HS
MacG91's picture

Yeah Roby didnt have the year we were hoping for but his size at 6', his aggressive style, speed and agility is what will have him drafted high. 

Mac..yeah

PittBuckeye's picture

It sounds weird but I think the defense as a whole being so bad helps Roby. Nothing was working there were clearly scheming problems, among other things. I think his measurables will get him drafted higher than a lot of people expect.

+1 HS
teddyballgame's picture

I think Roby and Shazier go before Hyde. 

Hyde was the best at what he does but his position isn't valued as high in the NFL.

+1 HS
vitaminB's picture

Roby will go at 31 to the Broncos and replace Champ Bailey from day 1.  Hyde goes in the 2nd, RDS in the 3rd and Mewhort in the 4th.

+1 HS
Killer nuts's picture

I think Shazier is a steal in the third round

+1 HS
Mortc15's picture

If Shazier lasts until the 3rd, someone just got the Linebacker equivalent of Russell Wilson. Early 2nd or before is where RDS should be taken.

Buck-I4Life

IH8UOFM's picture

I think it goes Hyde, Shazier, Roby.

kwaz50's picture

I would love to see the Browns take Hyde late in the 1st by trading up or something.  Browns need a power runner to balance out our passing game with josh gordon.

RBuck's picture

As a long suffering Browns fan I have to ask this question: What passing game? Other than that, I'd like to see Hyde there also.

"It's just another case of there you are". ~ Doc (1918-2012)

tennbuckeye19's picture

That's what made Gordon's season so crazy. He put up big numbers and lead the league in receiving yards despite missing games due to suspension and with instability at the QB position.

kwaz50's picture

That was just saying that there was at least somewhat of a passing game compared to our non-existent running game.

BDobina's picture

Roby will run a sub 4.4 and impress at the combine. Late first round. Hyde will come off the board next in the early second (good possibility he goes to the Browns at pick 4, 1-3 all are set at RB) Shazier will go in the mid second (if he does not have a good showing at the combine or runs a slow 40 he will drop to late second possibly third) then Mewort is going to surprise and go late second.

saltybuck61's picture

I have to agree with you here. I would be shocked if Roby didn't put up eye-popping numbers at the combine. I think he goes in the late first round as well. Hyde is a guy that will probably fall to the second round, even though he will still be the first running back drafted. I can see Shazier going first round, but I think many teams will pass until the second round because of the size. I am not sure about Mewhort. I think he could be a second round guy, however I believe that teams will wait until the third round for him. He could be an absolute steal.

vwhiegs57's picture

Hyde goes 1st round to Carolina! With his size and obvious power running, i think he turns some heads in the 40 which bumps him up on draft boards and he goes as the First Buckeye in the '14 Draft!

Squirrel Master's picture

I doubt Carolina will go RB in the first round. They have 3 RB already, two under contract for a few years. Plus they have Cam to run.

Carolina needs a WR desperately. They will select one in the first round, especially when a bunch of wideouts are being projected to go in the late first.

I saw a UFO once.......it told me to have a goodyear!

Killer nuts's picture

But the Panthers have this guy at receiver

He can block and return punts too

DCBucki's picture

I love that Teddy went to the Panthers!! I think he fits into their system greats!! My wife is a Panthers fan, So Teddy makes watching them more exciting!!

"The deadliest weapon in the world is a MARINE and his rifle!"
GEN. PERSHING, US.ARMY

MacG91's picture

I think Hyde will be the second RB off the board, I think DeAnthony Thomas will go first. I think he'll have a Tavon Austin type combine and blow people away by his speed and go around 15 like Austin. The NFL loves those types of players. 

Mac..yeah

-1 HS
Squirrel Master's picture

I'm going to wait till after this weekend at the combine. 40 time could alter Roby and Hyde's stock. I think Shazier will impress with shuttle and lifting because they think he is undersized. I think he is just fine for a 3-4 inside linebacker. They don't have to be the huge Mike like in a 4-3.

I saw a UFO once.......it told me to have a goodyear!

buckeyebowhunter's picture

I think all Hyde goes first late 1st round.  Roby and Shazier both early second.

Poison nuts's picture

My prediction, Hyde, Shazier, Roby in that order.

"Death created time to grow the things that it would kill" - Detective Rustin Cohle.

m5987usus's picture

Hyde goes first, BOOK IT

O-H!

TCOB_6's picture

I think Hyde and/or Shazier should make the first round. Roby hurt his draft stock with the season he had, but he will still probably go late first round. Can't coach size and speed.

Brandon26841's picture

Roby's going to really light up the combine and once they look more into his disappointing junior year and see how terrible the defensive scheme was (I've already seen it referenced several times in articles talking about Roby) I think he'll end up going a lot higher than expected. CB's that run in the low 4.3's (which I think he'll hit) and are extremely physical tacklers don't last very long in the draft. I think he likely goes in the early 2nd, but no later than the mid 2nd.

Shazier will light up the combine as well (I'm thinking a 4.49-4.51 40) but his size (probably come in around 235-238 lbs) will scare teams off. Early 2nd most likely, but definitely won't last to the 3rd round. 

Hyde will have a good combine and seems to be the consensus #1 RB, so he'll probably go late first at the earliest, but more than likely he'll be a early 2nd rounder. I think all three of these guys are picked around the same area, and it's a complete toss-up who goes first... I'll go Roby since he plays a premier position. 

Mewhort will go in the 4th - 5th, Corey Brown in the 6th - 7th. I think Brown could really help his stock this week. 

+1 HS
OSU_ALUM_05's picture

The first Ohio State player drafted in the NFL was Chuck Ream - drafted in 1938 by the Cleveland Rams

+1 HS
Josh P's picture

The simplicity of this made me chuckle

bull1214's picture

roby's size and skill set is a fit for most teams. so I see him going late 1 to mid 2nd rd. shazier will be looked at by teams running a 4-3 and looking for a weakside olb. unless a team falls in love, he looks like a 2nd rd guy. hyde fits a lot of teams but not all and rb's usually go 2-3rd rd.

DCBucki's picture

I think that it all depends on the Combine. I think Roby, Shazier and Hyde will ALL have great 40 times. My money would be on Roby in mid to late 1st round, but I could see either Hyde or Shazier getting picked sooner depending on team needs. I would LOVE to see Shazier go to the Colts, but I'm sure they will probably go after a WR. He fits with thier undersized, but quick defense. Hyde has a slight image issue with the suspension, so I think that may knock him to the 2nd or 3rd round, which would be an absolute STEAL!! Think Roby will get a pass on his defense this year considering how down the unit was as a whole, and get drafted in the first round.

"The deadliest weapon in the world is a MARINE and his rifle!"
GEN. PERSHING, US.ARMY

Adam21's picture

Hyde has a slight image issue with the suspension, so I think that may knock him to the 2nd or 3rd round, which would be an absolute STEAL!! Think Roby will get a pass on his defense this year considering how down the unit was as a whole, and get drafted in the first round.

Just pure speculation, but I think once the teams interview Carlos, that will relieve the teams of all concerns regarding character. The kid went through and learned a lot from that experience.

+1 HS
Mortc15's picture

I want to say Hyde because I think he has the potential to be the best of the three right away, but I think Roby's combine will put him into the mid to late 1st round range and I can't see a RB getting taken before that.

Buck-I4Life

BassDropper's picture

Corey Linsley just put up a 36 on the bench press, he will likely be drafted in the first after that performance

DIRECTIONER