Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

Ohio Stadium ranked number #2 college stadium to visit in 2013 on bleacher report

mobboss1984's picture
February 19, 2014 at 7:41am
30 Comments
mh277907's picture

I went to LSU for the Kent St. game this past fall. It is a pretty cool stadium/tailgate experience but, even though it was a 6 o'clock kickoff, there were plenty of open seats and the stadium was not that loud. It did feel a little intimidating, though, as the stands on the sidelines feel like they go straight up and are right on top of the field. I am sure that place gets rowdy for big games but I would put a night game at OSU up against anything.

buckeyebobcat

+2 HS
mobboss1984's picture

Ohio Stadium can be very intimidating. Not too many schools can rival against us. I went to the ichigan game in 2012 and it was freezing cold. It was loud in that stadium and it was daytime.

Always be yourself, express yourself, have faith in yourself, do not go out and look for a successful personality and duplicate it.
Bruce Lee

+1 HS
mh277907's picture

Yea, like I said, I would put the stadium experience at OSU up against any stadium in the country.

buckeyebobcat

+1 HS
CC's picture

I totally agree.  I'm a homer, but I've been to USC, PSU, Miami, and UF all at night.  The Shoe for a night game is simply better.

I think one thing that gets over-looked by non-buckeyes is the build up.  At OSU the stands are full 20 minutes before the game because there is no way we would miss the band march on the field.  No other schools that I've been to have anything similar.  UF hosting LSU at night and USC hosting Cal at night (1 vs. 7 if I remember correctly), PSU vs. Alabama all had seats open at kickoff.

I've probably only been to 25 games in the Shoe of which only a handful (of snoozers) didn't have the stands full 20 minutes before kick.

+1 HS
Chief B1G Dump's picture

I was going to comment that 2013 was last year and what about 2014?

But the article state that it is the 25 stadiums to visit before you die...and happened be published on 12/30/13.  Anyhow, hard to disagree...I didnt look at the full ranking but the top 10 or so are all really just subjective and based on your allegiance/upbrining/fandom.

Personally, I've been to many different stadiums all over the world for many different sports and concerts...and I will say, the Shoe totally kicks ass.

+1 HS
BullCityBuckeye's picture

Another thing I like about the Horseshoe is that the view is still decent (and engaging) from the nosebleed sections.

+1 HS
mobboss1984's picture

Does Ohio Stadium still hold concerts?

Always be yourself, express yourself, have faith in yourself, do not go out and look for a successful personality and duplicate it.
Bruce Lee

OSU_ALUM_05's picture

I was there for Summer Sanitarium when I was in college .... would have been summer of 2003 or 2004 probably.  I'm not sure if they've had one since then.

osu07asu10's picture

Nope, as mentioned above Summer Sanitarium was the last one held there. I would not expect them to hold a concert anytime in the near future.

"They don't know what they don't know." - Coach Mick

Barnsey69's picture

I don't think they want the playing surface compromised.

I am a modern-art masterpiece.

+1 HS
osu07asu10's picture

Eh, the FieldTurf actually gives them more flexibility in allowing people on the field but I am sure that is a factor as well as a number of others.

There are a number of events that happen at the shoe in the off-season including Spring Commencement, FNL, football camps, etc. Scheduling the event around others would be a challenge.

Additionally, the off-season is used to renovate and refurbish the shoe from simple things like flushing sprinklers, re-painting the wrought-iron gates and whitewashing all the cinder block to more detailed projects like masonry rehabilitation, electrical systems, IT networks, etc. The shoe requires constant maintenance year round to keep it in tip top shape.

Mortc15's picture

3 of the top 5 are Big Ten stadiums. Now if we could just get the national standings on the field to resemble that list too!

Buck-I4Life

+3 HS
mobboss1984's picture

true! Great atmosphere, but 1 title. 

Bruce Lee

OSU_1992_UFM's picture

I think just playing night games later in the year will make people go, "Holy shit,this is B1G football??"

Game looks different under the lights, Northwesterns stadium looked rockin...small,but loud

UFM_Renewal

+3 HS
TMac's picture

Hard to argue amongst the top several stadiums. If you only had one opportunity at any particular stadium I am sure the experience might be radically different depending on the opponent. The Shoe isn't quite the same for a noon banger against Buffalo as it is for a night game against Wisky, or for The Game. 

+1 HS
mobboss1984's picture

I wish they would play the ichigan game at night again. Up the security more and let them play. Recruits would almost commit on the spot if we went back to night games for the rivalry.

Bruce Lee

+1 HS
buckeye4life050233's picture

or at least a 3:30 start time so the 2nd half is played in a night time atmosphere.  Noon starts just suck at the shoe.  only reason the networks do it is bc of the ratings boost the carry over from the osu games have on 3:30 starts.  that's why urban has been preaching wanting more night and 3:30 games. 

+3 HS
buckeyedude's picture

I agree Buckeye4Life. I love the 3:30 kickoff best. It gives me time to have some coffee before I start smashing the beerz. And it's too hard to go to bed after an 8pm game because I'm too pumped up. It messes up my circadian rhythms.

TCOB_6's picture

I agree 100%. THE GAME is an amazing atmosphere regardless of game time, but would be so much more electric under the lights. Hopefully Meyer gets his way and we start seeing a lot more games at night. The installment of permanent lighting is a good sign.

buckeye56's picture

They've never played the Michigan game at night before, but the 3:30 start time in '06 was perfect IMO. November 3:30 games its dark by halftime anyway.

+1 HS
mobboss1984's picture

3:30 start time would be fantastic.They should ask Urban that question on his call in show. See if maybe they have discussed this issue for the future.

Bruce Lee

+1 HS
osu07asu10's picture

Urban has stated he wants more night games, more afternoon games. It is hard for kids on the east coast who play on Friday night to make it to campus for the full experience for a noon game Saturday. Even worse, it makes it almost impossible for recruits in the central, mountain, and pacific time zones.

+1 HS
Buckeyeneer's picture

Ah, Summer Sanitarium! The last time I ever drank Everclear, and consequently, the last time I blacked out for more than six hours straight.

"Because the rules won't let you go for three." - Woody Hayes
THE Ohio State University

psibuck's picture

I see Clemson's stadium is 3rd.  I've never been there so I've got no beef with the ranking.  But that whole, getting on a bus to ride around to the other side of the stadium right before kickoff, has to be the dumbest "tradition" in sports. 

AngryWoody's picture

I went to the Penn State game this year and even though it was 42-7(I think) at half time the stadium was still rocking until everyone started leaving after the band played Sloopy. It was my fist game and I was impressed with how loud the fans were even though the game was pretty much over before half time. The band was amazing too. That was the week they did the Hollywood Blockbuster show.

Our Honor Defend!

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

The Shoe will always be No 1 in my mind

+4 HS
Go1Bucks's picture

I dont have the stats but I dont think we play well historically at night, except maybe at the Shoe.

Prefer the 3:30 start times except for the Game, belongs at 12 p.  Just my opinion though.  Anyone stat ambitious to compile start time/win-loss numbers?  Just curious.

Go Bucks!

BuckeyeRealist13's picture

The Game, should be an 8PM start in my opinion. Lets give the best rivalry in sports a prime time slot, no reason not too. Would be game of the year most years. 

I've spent time in the South, I don't care what anybody says they don't have the passion for football that us Ohioans have. 

BuckeyeRealist13's picture

The stadiums that i've been to, and the oppenents they played...

Ohio Stadium - Too many opponents to count. Best games I've attended were 02 Michigan, 05 Texas, and 09 Iowa. Nothing tops the 02 Michigan and 05 Texas games.

Michigan Stadium - Against Ohio State in 07 for the B1G championship and a spot in the Rose Bowl (Ohio State miraculously ended up in the NCG). Stadium wasn't very loud, or intimidating. Smaller than what I would expect of a stadium that housed over 110,000.

Memorial Stadium (Illinois) Went in 06 when Ohio State played them. The atmosphere was actually better than Michigan Stadium.

Memorial Stadium (Indiana) Nothing special, half the stadium was Buckeye Nation, just went to cross stadium off the list.

Spartan Stadium - Went when they played Ohio State in 2006, MSU was in the dumps that year, horrible atmosphere. MSU fans were reporting OSU fans for standing up, and they were getting kicked out of the game left and right just for standing.

Bill Snyder Family Memorial Stadium (Kansas State) - When when they played Baylor this past year, just a different atmosphere than all of the B1G stadiums. Football is more of just a social gathering there, rather than life or death. 

I've spent time in the South, I don't care what anybody says they don't have the passion for football that us Ohioans have.