Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

User, Y U forget about Brian Rolle?

BuckeyeBred's picture
February 14, 2014 at 9:57pm
19 Comments

I have read a lot of great content provided on here from staff and users about solid LBs of the past 10-20 years. One name I never read: Brian Rolle. Personally, I really liked the guy. Sure, he was the man in the middle following a ridiculously good MLB, but the dude had skills and I never worried about him.

Want: more 11w respect for Brian Rolle

osu07asu10's picture

"They don't know what they don't know." - Coach Mick

+1 HS
Hovenaut's picture

We'll be seeing Rolle's save again building up to the visit the BallMore August 30th...

"Success - it's what you do with what you got" - Woody Hayes

cinserious's picture

I recently made a blog post about the linebackers and I no doubt mentioned Rolle in a good light. I only mentioned that he was the only LB recruit from the 2007 class. I liked Rolle from the get go and he absolutely was solid throughout and became pretty beasty by the time he was finished. I loved Rolle, kind of like Shazier now, albeit at different positions technically. 

"Get him a body bag, Yeah!"

BuckeyeBred's picture

Thanks, Cinserious. I must have missed that one. Folks seem to be so caught up in the other great ones that Rolle's name is frequently omitted. The dude was a stone in the middle and made a bunch of solid, fundamental plays - exactly what we are currently missing. 

buckguyfan1's picture

Would love to see Rolle's heart and soul in Grant's body. 

+2 HS
439LawDog's picture

First let me point out that I am a Brian Rolle fan...but with that I looked up his career stats while at tOSU and based on stats alone, Homan had better #'s then he did.

Tackles              Sacks            Int

Rolle                    202                     2.5                4

Hawk                    121                     9.5                7

Laurinaitis            375                      13                9

Ross Homan         287                     5                   7               

-2 HS
Colerain 2004 G.O.A.T.'s picture

You say Homan had better numbers but then post stats where Rolle had almost double the tackles of Hawk? Me cornfused.

I speak the truth but I guess that's a foreign language to yall.~~Lil Wayne

+1 HS
FROMTHE18's picture

I too am confused. If those numbers are correct, you're implying that Homan was a 'better' LB than Rolle because of his numbers, while you look at Hawk's and think, of the four, he was therefore the 'worst'? I think Hawk is probably the best LB in that group, and he continues to prove it in Green Bay. 

+2 HS
BuckeyeBred's picture

Love all those guys, but I think that picture is a little incomplete unless it has snaps/games played. If I'm not mistaken, Rolle had to sit behind the Beast for a few years before he got his major playing time. 

+1 HS
Buckeye06's picture

Has no one pointed out how wrong those AJ stats are? 394 tackles, 196 solo, 41 tfl, 15 1/2 sacks

+5 HS
Hovenaut's picture

I was going to say - Hawk's stat line above has to be for only ONE season - no way those are career numbers.

"Success - it's what you do with what you got" - Woody Hayes

+1 HS
BuckGnome's picture

Those are Hawk's tackle  and sack numbers for the 2005 season alone.  Only the Int total in your chart is a career stat. 

Colerain 2004 G.O.A.T.'s picture

Hawk was the best hands down. I watched that guy play and he us just special. A hall of famer in my mind and nobody could convince me otherwise.

I speak the truth but I guess that's a foreign language to yall.~~Lil Wayne

+1 HS
BuckGnome's picture

Couldn't agree more.  Little Animal was a great LB in his own right, but Hawk was the best LB of the Tressel era, and for me it's not that close.

Nutinpa's picture

When you consider that B Rolle may have been the most undersized MLB in recent memory, his contributions are even more noteworthy. As an Eagles fan, I regretted his short career in the NFL.   Thought for sure he would contribute as a Spec teams player somewhere, esp with this speed.  

+1 HS
bedheadjc's picture

Posted this in another forum a week ago...I agree about Rolle.

Bonus: Who was the last OSU 'Backer to consistently stop people at the line of scrimmage on inside runs? Shazier half of the time, maybe little Brian Rolle, Hawk? JL was better on outside stops than inside...

+1 HS
buckeyedude's picture

Undersized, but Rolle played with heart. I wish we had LBs now that played like him.

+2 HS
UserCorch's picture

Watching Rolle on kickoff was absolutely awesome.

+1 HS