Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

What is the most difficult position to learn

BuckeyeJ's picture
February 13, 2014 at 12:25pm
28 Comments

This subject has interested me for a long time. And when MM announced he was leaving got me thinking again. Why? Simple, you have a highly touted 5* that is RS. And you look and he is a LB. Is this the most difficult for a HS star to learn?  OL? WR? Now I realize most true freshman will not see the field. What say u 11w?

Oyster's picture

Neither do I

May you R.I.P. Otsego, but know this. Gaylord Rocks!

+5 HS
m5987usus's picture

My opinion, the OT, LB, and CB are the most difficult non skill positions to learn, obviously QB and WR is a lot different for Freshman because your throwing and catching the ball a lot more, but with the other positions, the size and speed of the players your defending are different.  OT the defensive lineman you must defend are A LOT Bigger, imagine Marcelys Jones going straight from defending Idk a 6-3 230 pound DL from Ohio, to JaDeveon Clowney?  Also as a LB, in highschool a majority of the plays are running plays, not always the case, but most of the cases IMO, so you need to learn to defend the pass as a LB which most high school LBers are not used to.

O-H!

+1 HS
JTACbuckeye's picture

I honestly think Linebacker (specifically the Mike) is the hardest position to come in to learn and play effectively (especially in a 4-3).   Receivers, DLs, DBs, and RBs can get by on pure athleticism!

The strong will stand, the weak will fall by the wayside.  100% and then some!

Mortc15's picture

Aside from qb, I think I would pick the toughest to learn to be MLB. This is different than the toughest to play. The toughest position to play involves more than just learning calls and assignments. It also involves being physically ready and having a refined a technique. I say MLB is the toughest to learn because this position is generally the qb of the defense and they need to know what everyone else is doing on every play. With that being said, I fully expect Raek to win the job this fall, unless Grant steps up his play considerably.

Buck-I4Life

+1 HS
PittBuckeye's picture

That was what I was going to say, if all positions are valid it has to be the QB.

Has to know every in and out of the offense, has to be able to read and anticipate the defense, and is expected to be a leader on the team.

+1 HS
Braxton2Devin's picture

OL DEFINITELY ISN'T. You hear all the time about physical specimens who literally have played the game for just a year and they already have a plethora of D1 schollies. 

+2 HS
BoFuquel's picture

QB: next. GO BUCKS!

I wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then.

Oyster's picture

STOP IT HOVE!

BuckeyeNation_330's picture

Cornerback in my opinion, you have to be able to read and react quickly and have fluid hips and speed to keep up with receivers.

"Bleed Scarlet, Die Gray"

+1 HS
BrewstersMillions's picture

QB. The amount of information that needs to be effortlessly processed to play the spot at a high level is without equal to any other spot on the field. They are all difficult to play, one might argue corner since there are so many rules stacked against the spot, but at the end of the day, no one has more to learn than a QB.

Do I come off as arrogant? Shame on me, I was hoping it would more obvious.

+1 HS
Colerain 2004 G.O.A.T.'s picture

QB hands down..Dline is easiest mentally but most demanding physically. Safety and MLB would come in next. OL is the hardest position to judge coming out of HS hands down. OL have bigger frames and therefore usually have the most weight to put on .

I speak the truth but I guess that's a foreign language to yall.~~Lil Wayne

DiasporaBuck's picture

Without a doubt: Armchair QB

OSU Class of 1999

+2 HS
Whoa Nellie's picture

Downward facing dog.

“Don’t fear criticism. The stands are full of critics. They play no ball. They fight no fights. They make no mistakes because they attempt nothing. Down on the field are the doers, they make mistakes because they attempt many things.”

+3 HS
Colerain 2004 G.O.A.T.'s picture

Ive heard downward facing dog is the easiest position to acquire instant depth.

I speak the truth but I guess that's a foreign language to yall.~~Lil Wayne

+2 HS
Crimson's picture

I'm not sure, but probably not missionary.  Why is this question posted on a football forum anyway?

+1 HS
Oyster's picture

I believe the professional term for that is The Piledriver.  At least that is just what I have heard...

Seattle Linga's picture

WOW this thread took a wrong turn a few posts ago ------ Hilarious - LOL

+2 HS
BucksfanXC's picture

MGoBlog took this on in a mailbag question this week. He brought an interesting point about needing knowledge and technique vs having physical size and speed that can overcome lack of knowledge, experience and technique. He used wonderlic scores to illustrate. His conclusion was OL then MLB/QB which are the offensive/defensive equivalents of each other, then it goes to the skill positions like WR and RB because what you do in high school at those spots is similar in college.  You rarely see freshmen play QB, Hackenberg for PSU this year did really well. But OL in HS have usually only have to be big and strong to over power opposing DLs until they get to college then you also need technique and to learn all different kinds of plays, pulling and shifts etc

“Any time you give a man something he doesn't earn, you cheapen him. Our kids earn what they get, and that includes respect.”  - Woody

+2 HS
hit_the_couch's picture

The positions can't be too hard to learn if there are guys rated as studs playing them well while scoring 2,4, 7 or other on the wonderlic.

And then I told her...i'm no weatherman, but tonight's forecast is calling for several inches!

Riggins's picture

3 Toughest - QB, C, LB

3 Easiest - CB, RB, DL

+1 HS
CC's picture

On the money.

Canukbuck's picture

Offensive centre is the most difficult ..... responsible for making most of the O-Line calls prior to the snap in most offenses, having to focus on making a clean snap and then taking on a defender immediately on the snap of the ball, having to reach out to second level on some run blocking schemes and usually taking on the biggest defender (NT).   Sports Illustrated once did a survey to find out, among college teams, which positions had the brightest students.  QB was number one, but the second brightest group was found on the offensive line.  It might answer the question as to why certain players can learn the position quickly (simply, they are brighter student athletes).   It's also been said that the defensive line was little more than, "stepping across the LOS and throwing a fit" (not sure I agree with that, since gap integrity has become so crucial these days) ....  Anyway, my vote is for the Center position.

+1 HS
Crimson's picture

Decide whether you're from America or England, and then come back and post.  Okay?

+2 HS
Canukbuck's picture

Slip of the keyboard, Einstein - up here we can use both spellings (i.e. Staples Centre or offensive center) .... but nice to know that you're dwelling on the most important things in life, Crimson ....  Just to set the record straight - I'm from Canada, which is neither America (as in United States of America) or England (as in the United Kingdom), but I guess my handle of CANUKbuck wasn't obvious enough for you ....

+4 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Nice - that was funny Canukbuck!

I also think people are discounting the DB position - so much to learn where covering elite receivers. It's 1000 X more than just stopping your man from catching the pass. Especially with all the defensive schemes available.  

+1 HS
gm3jones's picture

I say O-line because of the physicallity involved with it. I see alot of receivers coming in running 4.4 40's, agility drills and so on and they just need to learn the offense (still alot to do, but at least you are physically ready). O-line has to still learn all the plays and have a ridiclous eating and workout regime. The skilled positions work on their techinque more so than working out IMO. IDK pure speculation

There is nothing more remarkable as learning to think better.