Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

B1G Championship Game

The Urban Legend's picture
February 10, 2014 at 11:30am
22 Comments

What are your thoughts on the conference championship game being played in Indy? Would you rather the higher ranked team get home field or alternate the home team each year between east and west? 

Buckeyeflip's picture

I like Indy because if you have two 8-0 teams in conference play it gives them equal chances to win the game vs having one have the home field advantage. It's a championship game and need to be neutral! And the whole switching from east and west could be bad, you could have an 5-3 west team hosting a 8-0 east team or vice versa. So hope they stick to the neutral site game but maybe switch it up and move it from Chicago and Indy. 

+1 HS

Great points. I just hope the brass doesn't decide Baltimore or New York needs to host once they realize these two eastern powers that are coming in were a bad idea.

The Legend continues

gonzogrover's picture

I like Indianapolis. Good stadium. I like the downtown and it's not as expensive as Chicago. I don't like a team having a homefield advantage.

+3 HS
Earle's picture

I don't like a team having a homefield advantage.

But what about when Indiana gets into the game?

+1 HS
SOF_Buckeye's picture

Well, let's worry about that if/when that happens...

"The harder you work, the harder it is to surrender." Woody Hayes

Jabba the Hoke's picture

Indiana doesn't have home field advantage in Bloomington.

+4 HS
buckeye4life050233's picture

I like Indy and I like Lucas Oil Stadium...it's pretty much centralized and if you put it up in Chicago or Detroit it gives way too much of a home field advantage.  it isn't like Indiana or purdue is going to be vying for the title any time soon

Doc's picture

Indy was great and easy to get to.  Chicago is a great town, but it won't be as easy as Indy.  Everything is centrally located and easy to get to.  I live in the Toledo area and both are easy trips, but my vote is still Indy.

"Say my name."

BuckeyeLaw's picture

Indy did a hell of a job hosting the game this year -would have wished for a better result but the atmosphere was electric and the stadium was top notch. I think keeping it at the neutral site is key and, lets be honest, sitting outside at Soldier Stadium in December would not be fun. 

OSU 2011 - Toledo Law 2014

+3 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Buckeyelaw - you said it all as far as i am concerned.

BoFuquel's picture

I would prefer this bastard child of The B1G were retroactively aborted. GO BUCKS!

I wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then.

I assume you're referring to the CCG as a whole. Unfortunately with the direction college football is heading its a necessity. It would just be another reason for the media to justify another team jumping us and getting into the playoff if we didn't have it.

The Legend continues

+1 HS
Chise47's picture

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it." - Great American Philosopher [insert name here]

Chief B1G Dump's picture

In an ideal world, I would like to see out of every 10 years: 4 in Indy, 4 in Chicago, 1 Detroit and 1 in NYC/Cleveland/Toledo.

However, due to weather in the Midwest vs domes, etc...I think it should be in Indy 8 out of 10 and then either Chicago or Detroit every so often.

+1 HS
dcbucks's picture

Bring the game to the nations capital. Mild weather in the first week of December. 10,000+ Alumni per school live here already. Good for regional recruiting. Maryland will not be in the game anyway so it wont be a huge advantage to anyone, just like Indiana and Purdue in Indy. 

FROMTHE18's picture

given the geographic expanse of the B1G, Indy is as neutral as you get.

+1 HS
buckeyebowhunter's picture

I'd love to see it in Indy!!!

niblick's picture

I could care less where its played or who is home team as long as in the next 11 months we figure out how to not make an average qb and average wr's look like the god damn 1984 miami dolphins because our secondary sucks.

+2 HS
BuckeyeRealist13's picture

I love it in Indianapolis for the following reason. It is inside, never have to worry about the weather. It isn't exactly in the center of the B1G foot print but close enough. Indianapolis is an amazing city, that is perfect size. Wherever the championship site is held, I believe it should be held there every year, so people can plan far in advance, the city can prepare far in advance, and eventually it becomes part of the culture of our conference, much like Atlanta is to the SEC. 

I've spent time in the South, I don't care what anybody says they don't have the passion for football that us Ohioans have. 

I love it in Indianapolis for the following reason. It is inside, never have to worry about the weather. It isn't exactly in the center of the B1G foot print but close enough. Indianapolis is an amazing city, that is perfect size. Wherever the championship site is held, I believe it should be held there every year, so people can plan far in advance, the city can prepare far in advance, and eventually it becomes part of the culture of our conference, much like Atlanta is to the SEC. 

I've spent time in the South, I don't care what anybody says they don't have the passion for football that us Ohioans have. 

kmp10's picture

I'd much prefer Soldier Field in Chicago to the dome in Indy. It's the B1G, and part of the mystique of the conference is the hard nosed, tough football that's played in cold weather environments. I'm so sick and tired of the SEC and their obsession with the weather. We get it, you're a bunch of pussies who hate the cold and snow and only want to play college football in 78* temps.