Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

Tressel Treasures

Chise47's picture
February 9, 2014 at 5:48pm
27 Comments

I , like many others on this site, probably follow recruiting more than all other subjects not Ramzy related. This I don't know about the rest of you, but I absolutely still feel Coach Tressel was the best thing to happen to Thee Ohio State University football since Woody Hayes,                        .

That typed, don't get me wrong. I am more than confident UFM will replace this feeling one day, just not today. UFM did wonders with Coach Tressel talent. Not even certain The Senator himself would have went 24-2 the past 2 years with his team. So in that regard, I give UFM all the props he should have.

However, let's look at the current situation as it stands. When we take the feild in Baltimore next year, the tip of our spear will still be a 'Tressel Treasure". Braxton. The majority of the OL protecting him will be a Tressel recruited lineman.

I love Meechy,(great insight/maturity from the article the young man wrote), yet realistic veiw point dictates that he will be on the depth chart behind behind Elflien, Boren, Underwood, Brown, Farris & Price the day he steps foot on campus. Jamarco Jones will be a back-up to EVAN LISLE. Who, as we all know is behind Baldwin, & Dodson. Jamarco & Meechy can work into that depth, yet it will be one hell of a feat if either starts day #1 in Baltimore.

Let's look at the possibilities of starters, starting day, shall we ?

Offense:

QB: Braxton (And I think a 3rd year removed from HS Cardale (6'5" 250) Jones will be #2 no matter how many of you have dubbed J.T. Barret as 'next'. Remember, Cardale didn't come to Thee Ohio State University to, "...play school."

RB: EzE is looking like the fave. I'm not giving up on the Ohio boys though.

OL: Decker(UFM), Elflien, Boren, Underwood/Brown, Baldwin. That's even better than Meatloaf because 4 outta 5 ain't bad.

WR: D. Smith an E. Spencer if healthy, if not, M. Thomas.

TE: Heuremann & Vannet

DL: Hale & Bennet inside. DE belongs to UFM, unless Steve Miller takes a starting spot.

LB: Perry, Grant & Tray Johnson (UFM)

CB: Grant & Reeves (I know, I know !!! UFM though.)

S's: Tyvis & Vonn.

That's 7-9 starters on offense, & 6 on the defensive side. Ladies & Gents, I give you...

Tressels' Treasures.

JakeBuckeye's picture

I very much believe Tressel would have gone 24-2 with this team the past two years. Our schedule has been horrid, its just the truth. Tressel's schedules were never anything crazy difficult, but the past two years' competition make Tressel's competition look like the wringer.

+4 HS
Buckeyevstheworld's picture

I don't think JT would have lost to MSU.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+10 HS
hansman's picture

I'm sure some of us would like to think this (myself included), but is it fair to guess this?

+1 HS

Yes.

After Ohio State took the lead, Hyde would have gotten 2000 more touches.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+11 HS
CC's picture

Yeah but we would have lost to Purdue or Wisconsin.

darbnurb's picture

I agree, but with flipped results for the past two years. Meaning, I believe Tress would have gone 10-2 in 2012 and 14-0 in 2013 with a NC.

JohnnyKozmo's picture

Weren't these schedules made during Tressels tenure?

Obviously, Vandy backed out, but its not like Bama backed it, it was still Vandy.

route4buckeye's picture

LOL. JT Barrett is light years ahead of Cardale Jones.

Goalscorer9's picture

I'm not disagreeing with you,  but how could you possibly know that?

+5 HS

He stayed at a Holiday Inn.

+7 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

I miss those Super Bowl Commercials - we really could have used one this year

MN Buckeye's picture

Actually, I am good with where we are right now.

+2 HS
HotSauceCommittee's picture

Honoring the past is great, but the program needed a change regardless if we were or were not hit with sanctions.  I loved Coach Tress and wish he could have stuck around a few more years to go out on his own terms, but Urban is the right coach at the right time to define our program for the next decade. 

+2 HS
YTOWNBUCKI's picture

As much as I love having UFM around, our defense wouldn't have been this bad had Tress still been at the helm.  A better defense would have gotten him at least 24-2 IMO.

+4 HS
InvertMyVeer's picture

The flipside to that is the offense would not have been nearly as prolific. I love JT, he was the man, but those offenses made me want to pull my hair out. I agree Tressel guides us something close to that 24-2 mark though.

Football is complicated...

+3 HS
krodawg's picture

Love the fact that Tress is still having an impact on the program. Love the fact that UFM is now guiding the program to new heights. We'll never know if Tress could have guided the Bucks to 24-2 but Tress doesn't need that to hang his whistle on; his own accomplishments over his tenure stand on their own.

Great times behind, great times ahead. Go Bucks!

+3 HS
buckskin's picture

I am old school, so scoring 13 points to win a game didn't really matter to me during the Tressel years.  These last 2 years have been especially painful because the performance of the D has been severely lacking.  Tress was a great coach at OSU and when Urban is done, he will be as well.  I love high scoring offense, but as we saw with the Seahawks, D still wins titles.  Urban will get them playing tough D.

+3 HS

I'm not giving up on the Ohio boys though.

Same.

+1 HS
KBonay's picture

One of my favorite UFM wins would not have happened on JT's watch.

+3 HS
BoFuquel's picture

Still looks like it's 1981 all over again to me. I firmly believe it will go the same. I stuck it out then, and I 'll stick it out now. But I'm still not satisfied. GO BUCKS!

I wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then.

JohnnyKozmo's picture

Doesn't this point to how bad of a job Fickell did in the interim?

But would Tressel have done as well as UFM.  I really don't know.  It seems that overall, both offensively and defensively, the team lacked difference makers the last 2 years.  Yes, Miller, Hyde and Shazier were there, and I guess you could throw in Roby too, but who else showed up week after week, and truly made a difference the last 2 years.  The defensive scheme didn't change, since Fickell was still the primary holdover, so what makes anyone think it would've been that much improved under Tressel, who is in offensive coach by trade?   C. Grant was the crown jewel of Tressels last class.  I still believe in the kid, as it seems to be a mental hump he needs to get over, but the results have been mixed thus far.  Had UFM not brought the offensive scheme with him to score 35+ points/game, this team doesn't win 24 games.

Meyer's first class will be Juniors (or RS Sophomores) this year.  Power programs typically don't need to play true Freshmen and Sophomores because of the depth they have built, outside of the occasional freaks (Spence would be on that list).  It will be telling to see how many of the Tressel upperclassmen lose their spots to UFM's recruits.  I think we may see turnover at the WR position for sure, possibly LB and RB as well.

+2 HS
Chise47's picture

I won't get into the covert, "Fire Fickell !!!", part of your answer/response, yet I have to respect the part of,

"It will be telling to see how many of the Tressel upperclassman lose their spots to UFM recruits."

.............., this will be something I pay close attention to & wonder just how much 'pressure/ego' plays into a coach wanting to impliment his system ? I know if I was a HC, I'd want my boys out on the feild. And trust me, my wife would tell you it was all my ego, and not a damn thing to do with a good common sense decision.

JohnnyKozmo's picture

I wasn't really going for the Fire Fickell angle, as that is about as dead as a horse can get.  More to the point that UFM didn't have a lot of choice but to play Tressel's players, and was just a lot more successful at it than Fickell was.  We often hear in college football that year 3 or 4 is really when a team starts to assume the identity of it's new coach because they have "their" players now.  Defensively, I never expected the drop off that has taken place, and the argument can be made that maybe the cupboard wasn't as full as we thought it was when Tressel resigned.  Offensively, I think Meyer and Herman have run more of a power spread than what we have seen Meyer run at Florida and Utah, most likely because the strength of the offense was the Line and El Guapo.  I think that will change starting this year, as it is pretty clear that there will be a ton of speed on that side of the ball.

buckskin's picture

We should not compare, but Tressel went 14-0 in his 2nd year and beat one of the best college football teams of all time (in terms of NFL talent).  I think he would have done all right with this bunch.

JohnnyKozmo's picture

You really want to compare that OSU team to the last 2 years?  I know Miami was loaded, but so were that OSU team (in terms of NFL talent).