Ohio State Basketball Forum

Ohio State Basketball Forum

Ohio State basketball fan talk.

Thad's BBall Recruiting Past and Future

0 HS
UrbanCulture's picture
May 12, 2016 at 7:16pm
37 Comments

Thad matta has built this program on recruiting. His two Final Four teams had three 5* recruits apiece, with a top 2 national recruit at center as the corner stone. When Thad has put together a recruiting of >2 prospects it consistently ranked highly in the nation. 

Year Recruiting Finish
2006 2
2007 6
2008 2
2010 2
2011 7
2014 6
2015 5

The fruits of this labor? 1 Championship game, 1 Final Four, 1 Elite Eight, 2 Sweet Sixteen, 2 Second Round, 2 First Round, 1 NIT Championship, 1 NIT second round. A handful of B1G regular season and tournament championships. #nice

However, looking ahead to future seasons, it doesn't look that promising for Thad and co. I don't envision a scenario where a top 2 overall recruit at center comes to Ohio State and brings a bevy of 5* talent with him. 2016's recruiting class is currently sitting at #40 nationally, with 4 commitments. Before that, a Thad class with 4 commits finished no worse than 7th. 

We have had a few glimpses of Thad teams without elite players on them, and they have not been particularly pleasant. These next few years will show how good of a coach Thad is. I would be lying if I said I wasn't nervous. The bball program has thrived via elite recruiting and I fear that recruiting is slipping with no sign of an upswing.

(Yes I know I am spoiled by Thad Matta and the bball program would be nothing without him. I also am not saying fire Thad Matta, nor can list a replacement). 

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 37 Comments