Ohio State Basketball Forum

Ohio State Basketball Forum

Ohio State basketball fan talk.

Is Jae'sean Tate a future pro?

0 HS
Triv's picture
February 27, 2015 at 3:45am
21 Comments

I'll admit, I was a Tate skeptic when he signed with Ohio State. My senior year of high school (his sophomore year) we lost to his Pickerington team in the regional finals, and Tate was a relative non-factor (this is the game I realized Caris Levert would be a very good basketball player at UM). I realize he was just a sophomore, but he seemed to play like a 6'4" power forward which I did not believe could succeed in the B1G. 

Now I have to admit I was wrong, and gladly so.

Tate has exceeded every expectation I had of him. He plays with an aggression I haven't seen since David Lighty dawned the Scarlet and Grey. My biggest question is, given 4 years at Ohio State, can Tate develop into an NBA draft pick? He rebounds like he's 6'10", finished at the rim better than anybody in the B1G, and can guard anybody under 6'9" with success. If I'm Thad Matta, I want Tate to dribble a basketball everywhere he goes in the offseason, and put up 500+ jump shots a day. At 6'4" he lacks the height to play the stretch 4 even, and the ball handling and jump shooting skills to play the 2 guard at the next level. But as hard of a worker as he seems to be, I think he can develop his game into an (albeit slightly shorter version) Evan Turner-type player should he develop in those areas over 4 years.

TL;DR: Tate didn't impress me in HS, very impressed with him thus far at tOSU, jump shot and ball handling progression from being NBA caliber player. Thoughts?

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 21 Comments