Ohio State Basketball Forum

Ohio State Basketball Forum

Ohio State basketball fan talk.

Is Thad Matta the John Cooper of Basketball?

0 HS
ohioscott's picture
January 25, 2015 at 9:46am
46 Comments

I have a friend who is a huge Penn St fan, so he knows his place when it comes to basketball, but he does know a lot about hoops and he told me a few weeks ago that coach Matta was our John Cooper of basketball...all recruiting and no coaching. 

I argued that we are a football school, not KY or Duke, and have been, next to Florida, the best basketball/football school in the nation since Matta arrived. And we have made some deep runs in the tournament including the loss to Florida in the finals.

He argued that we have had the talent here to have won at least 2 titles since Matta has been here (the Oden team and the Sullinger team).

I argued back what about the impressive coaching tree that Matta has tutored?

His argument back was that is why you are seeing less success now, all the talented coaches have moved on.

After watching this years team I am, like many, frustrated but I know we are young with what looks like good talent, with more on the way. I have argued that there is nothing here that a decent big man won't solve. But I have to admit my friends comments have planted a seed.

I would hate it if we chased Matta out of town because I remember some of those teams coached by Jim O'Brien, Randy Ayers, and even the great Gary Williams. Now that was real frustration.

What say you?

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 46 Comments