Ohio State Basketball Forum

Ohio State Basketball Forum

Ohio State basketball fan talk.

Top 3 Compliments / Complaints

0 HS
ohioscott's picture
January 23, 2015 at 2:14pm
13 Comments

This Buckeye basketball team is one of the most exciting / frustrating team in recent memory. What are your goods and bads?

Compliments

1. Jae'Sean Tate has such a great work ethic and attitude. I wish he were 4 inches taller and had a twin brother. The silly fouls after misses and out of his range shot selection will get better as he matures. If he keeps his head on straight he will be a beast.
  2. I love seeing the progression of Sam Thompson. He has always been a human highlight reel at the rim, but he has really expanded his game to include runners along the baseline and a better range on his jump shot (except for treys-see below). His defense went from a skinny dude playing "get out of the way" to challenging and coming off the ball to block shots. He still has "holes" but he is a joy to watch.
  3. Everything has been said about the greatness of D'Angelo Russell and with good reason, he is a pure shooter and can take over a game, but I was seeing poor defense, shaky ball handling skills (good thing they rarely call "palming"), and careless passing. The good news is he is improving in all those areas, especially passing, plus he is rebounding. The bad news is he will probably be a "one and done" guy. Can't blame him if he does, why walk around for a year with a winning lottery ticket in your pocket?

Complaints 

1. I can understand when the shot clock is running out, but I don't care how open they are, Scott, Thompson, and Tate should not be shooting threes. They are a combined 23-104 (22%), work for a better shot.
  2. I hate criticizing Coach Matta. We are very lucky to have a good basketball coach at a "football school". Next to Florida we are the best school at both sports over the last 20 years and Matta is a big reason for that. But, what was the deal with the zone? I was whining about it early on, when I was seeing teams like James Madison and Morehead St scoring easy baskets off of high post dumps and drive and dish plays. I knew come B1G time it would get ugly. Thank goodness he recognized and changed back to man where we can see guys like Shannon Scott and Tate excel. It still makes you wonder if we could have got a "quality win" from Louisville or Carolina had he been playing m2m all along.
  3. I'm not going to bother talking about the bi-polar play of Amir Williams. OK, just for a moment, if we could only channel Tate into the body of Amir, hello Final Four. The thing that concerns me is the Amir-like low-energy play of Marc Loving. I know that he is never acted like he just won the showcase on The Price is Right, but I am trying to figure out if he is just really low key or moody. Nest to Russell he is the most talented guy on the team. I love his game and to be honest he should be shooting as much as Russell, but I looked and both Thompson and Scott have more shot attempts. Maybe Matta sees something too, since he took him and Williams out of the starting line-up last night. I hope he ups his game, we need him as our solid #2 option.

Sorry for the long rant, but football season is over :-)

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 13 Comments