Ohio State Basketball Forum

Ohio State Basketball Forum

Ohio State basketball fan talk.

The Great Pastry Fake-Out . . .

0 HS
BuckWylde's picture
December 20, 2014 at 10:00pm
23 Comments

Back in 1960 I was privileged to watch a great coach take an OSU team to the NCAA title, and then finish as runner-up the next year. Over the past decade I've watched and listened to much of Buckeye Nation try to call Matta a great coach because he wins 20 games every year--he's not!!! (a dozen or so annual cupcakes makes 20 wins fairly easy)

Great coaches develop players while Thad's kids tend to stay the same. Craft and Scott came with no jump shot and nothings changed. Amir and Trey McD. came with no clue as to how to control the paint or score consistently, and nothings changed.  IMO Buford and Lenzell--ditto, no growth; while Ross, Diebler, and Sam actually regressed on Thad's watch. Matta's a one trick pony, whose one trick,(pressure D) ain't happenin' this season. His recruiting basically is his coaching. 

I was one of the few people that I knew of that saw Tressell's departure as an opportunity for our football program to go to the next level, and I have looked forward to Thad's exit for several seasons now, for much the same reason. If I sound like I'm a grumpy old curmudgeon (that coached for a number of years), perhaps I'm just one who loves my Buckeyes and thinks that there are coaches like Greg Marshall, Shaka Smart, and Archie Miller,  that could give us fans and the players more bang for the . . . Big, Big, Bucks

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 23 Comments