Ohio State Basketball Forum

Ohio State Basketball Forum

Ohio State men's and women's basketball discussion.

Dave Bell getting rave reviews from OSU coaches per Esa Ahmad's father.

Gobucks2204's picture
August 3, 2014 at 10:42pm
19 Comments

Esa Ahmad's father Ibrahim took to twitter while on their visit to OSU and tweeted this: "OSU coaching staff have rave reviews of Freshman David Bell! He looks great too in practice."

Also said Mike Conley was at practice too. 

That's great news about David Bell. He already looked ripped in his photos. I'm excited to see his progress.

Hope Esa and his family had a great visit to OSU as well on Saturday. They seem like a great family.

Gobucks2204's picture

Still having trouble embedding from twitter, but here is his twitter handle.

https://mobile.twitter.com/dibdable

+2 HS
Buckeyevstheworld's picture

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+2 HS
rosenbuck's picture

If we could bring in Ahmad and Bragg, this class would be right up there with Conley, oden, and co as Thad's best.

+1 HS
Knarcisi's picture

Is Ahmad and Bragg an Either/Or thing or do we have a chance of getting both?

rosenbuck's picture

From what I've read we plan on taking one more in this class, but could take 2 or 3 if they're guys we really want.  I think they're trying to save a couple spots for the '16 class though.

+2 HS
Knarcisi's picture

Thanks. As good as this class is, just doesn't sit will if we lose the top 2 kids in Ohio (Kennard and Bragg). I also would like to keep the classes a little more balanced. Years like 2009 where we bring in no one and 2012 where it's only DeValle hurt us, in my opinion. 

+1 HS
Nutty's picture

No way they take 3 more, doubt they take 2 due to the 2016 class being strong.

+1 HS
tennbuckeye19's picture

As of right now OSU has only 2 spots open for 2015. Highly doubt they fill both up especially with the talent available in the 2016 class.

This site lists all current roster spots, commits, and offers per year. They do a good job of breaking it all down.

+2 HS
BuckeyeGrownFloridaLiving's picture

They will take Bragg no matter what as he is almost a sure 1 year player, therefore, there would be no effect on scholarship players for '16.

+2 HS
Gobucks2204's picture

I'm with you. Both would be great. If we had to choose, I would choose Esa. For some reason I think Esa has the highest ceiling. He seems like he is a rising star and is very hungry.  This is according to my untrained eye, and non-expert humble opinion.

Gobucks2204's picture

We'll have to see how it all shakes out. I'd be happy to get just one of them to round out the 2015 class.

It would be nice to have room for Omari Spellman, Funderburk, and V.J King for 2016.

ITWASME's picture

If Dave Bell can earn meaningful playing time that will be HUGE

+1 HS
Gobucks2204's picture

I think he gained 2 inches after committing and is a legit 6 foot 11. Would love to see him become a force for the Buckeyes. Would put all the so called recruiting experts to shame.

+2 HS
tennbuckeye19's picture

Rumor was that Bell would be red-shirting this coming season due to having Amir, Trey McDonald, and Anthony Lee. I would assume that would still be the case. Then in 2015 he'd be competing with Trevor Thompson and Giddens for playing time.

+3 HS
Gobucks2204's picture

I heard that too. Then I heard that the coaches were backing off the redshirt idea. Who knows? There is so much information and mis information out there in this age of social media. Whatever is best for him to develop.

+1 HS
southbay's picture

At what point does that decision have to be made?  Bell doesn't have to be good enough to play this season to have an impact, if he can improve rapidly enough to push Amir.  Amir has other good reasons to play hard this season, but one more wouldn't hurt.

+1 HS
FROMTHE18's picture

If the dude can play and help us win, screw the redshirt. 

+4 HS
The Rill Dill's picture

Rave reviews regarding PRACTICE?  That's fresh.  

+1 HS
GreatLakesMike's picture

Yeah, I haven't read or heard any Buckeye coach mention redshirt in a while. Not that it means anything... just saying.

I agree that if Bell can play, let him play. Not badmouthing Williams or McDonald personally, but they hardly bring anything to the 5 spot. I think Bell plays. His body is filling out and he's a natural shot blocker. His offensive game is not nearly as bad as some people make it out to be. He has a decent looking stroke. He does need to work on his post footwork.

I trust Matta though and if he redshirts then that's probably what's best for Bell and the program. 

+1 HS