Ohio State Basketball Forum

Ohio State Basketball Forum

Ohio State men's and women's basketball discussion.

Mickey Marotti basketball strength coach?

Gobucks2204's picture
August 1, 2014 at 11:03am
36 Comments

Just looking at the before and after pictures of Joshua Perry, and I am speechless.  This is a pipe dream but what difference would having Marotti's expertise for the basketball team make? I'm sure our current basketball conditioning coach is well qualified. I just wonder by looking at Amir Williams, and Sam Thompson's and other Buckeyes development, if our players are maximizing our strength and conditioning.  Ross was the heaviest at the combine. Is Amir any stronger? Has Sam put on some solid muscle?  

Just imagine if Marotti, could absorb the 15 OSU basketball players into the strength and conditioning program, what difference he could make.  I know the sports are different and require different skill sets, conditioning, and physical development. I'm sure Mickey could adapt his program for the sport specific needs of the basketball bucks.

How do you guys think our current strength coach is doing?  Are we maximizing our players physical development?  Just some thoughts and dreams I had after seeing the pictures of Joshua Perry. Appreciate your insights.

Squirrel Master's picture

OT, I was reading a story about the top possible draft picks for the 2015 NBA draft and I decided to go look up some mock drafts.

None of the mock drafts have De'angelo Russell in any round and in one of them they have Amir Williams getting drafted in the low 40's.

don't believe me, http://www.nbadraft.net/2015mock_draft (#44)

uh...

I saw a UFO once.......it told me to have a goodyear!

+2 HS
Gobucks2204's picture

I saw that. Wow. They had Slam Thompson at 47, and Shannon Scott at 49th. Slam is one of my favorite players of all time. Hopefully he can improve his ball handling, and drives and shooting on the move. I would think with his leaping ability he would be hard to stop his jump shot.

chicagobuckeye's picture

Probably because Russell hasn't played a meaningful minute in college. He is a scorer which comes a dime a dozen in the NBA he has to show he has more attributes than scoring, or scoring at an extremely efficient rate. 

+1 HS

uh,

1. "he hasn't played a meaningful minute in college". have you looked at ANY mock draft, EVER? they are littered with players who come from high school and haven't played a minute. Did you see the top 5 are high school players?

2. "scorers come a dime a dozen in the NBA". REALLY? all I see are teams going after players who can score. TEAMS are looking for scorers! they don't have anyone. They are throwing huge contracts a players that "can't do anything but score" because they WANT THEM!

and Russell is more than just a scorer. He can play PG and distribute the ball. Have you seen a game, not a highlight, but a game that he has played. You should look. He is more than "just a scorer". AND....even if he is just a scorer, he certainly has more potential as a freshman than AMIR WILLIAMS has had his whole college career.

I have backed Amir many times in years past. I think people had too high expectations of him. BUT to think that Amir has more NBA potential (why, because he is a tall center. like those don't bust everyday) than De'angelo Russell or even Sam Thompson (let alone ANYONE) is a joke!

I WILL EAT JEREMY'S SHOE IF AMIR WILLIAMS GETS DRAFTED AND PLAYS ONE SECOND FOR AN NBA TEAM!

+5 HS
Gobucks2204's picture

I'm with you squirrel. I watched a lot of Monte Verde games.  Russel has a tremendous skill set. Not only is he a scorer, but he can create his own shot, and has an uncanny knack for distributing the basketball, with quick crisp passing.  He just has that it factor when he steps on the court. He is a winner too. I definitely think he will be in the NBA Lord willing.

Mean Mr Mustard's picture

I could see the S&C coaches working together and trading ideas, but, other than that, Marotti already has to coach a lot of guys.  I have stated a few times that I think Louie Simmons from Westside Barbell should get into the mix w/ Ohio State or Ohio high school athletics.  I have no idea if he has any interest in doing that, but someone should try talking him into it. 

+1 HS
LouBuck35's picture

I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) that Louie has been an advocate of steroids and other performance enhancers in the past.  Even if he is not a proponent of those subtances now, he's probably not someone the university would want to associate with.  There is no doubt he was ahead of his time in the power lifting area and could possibly lend some knowledge, but likely wouldn't/couldn't/shouldn't be directly involved with the program.

I want a fall Saturday in Ohio Stadium..

+3 HS
11UrbzAndSpices's picture

Just because Louie believes what he believes about steroids doesn't mean anything. I'm a big advocate for the legalization of them, but I'm not giving it to my players nor have I ever used it. The real matter of the fact is that Louie is a powerlifting/weightlifting coach, maybe the best ever. It's a different demon than being a S&C coach.

Cardale Jones. Cardale Jones! CARDALE JONES!!

-1 HS
Mean Mr Mustard's picture

--It's funny that Arnold S. was an admitted steroid user, but was the head of the Presidential Fitness thing.--

Louie Simmons would probably never be directly involved in either OSU or Ohio high schools because of steroid usage, but, indirectly, it is not a bad idea.   Routines would have to change for naturally trained athletes, but Simmons would still be a good resource.

BTW< Simmons trains different athletes not just powerlifters.

I know, the conjugate method is used for all sports all around the world, but if we're saying let's get Louie here to coach because he's a legend, Louie probably has a handful of guys on his staff who are S&C coaches just for football who he'd recommend. Nothing would have to change because of being 'natural' or not.

I&#039;m Ron Burgundy's picture

I've seen this sentiment come up several times in the last year, and it is really just apples and oranges.  I guess as Buckeye fans our thought process always flows through football first. But seeing the transformation of Joshua Perry's body and then thinking that would be a positive gain for someone with Sam Thompson's build in regards to his BASKETBALL skill/shooting prowess is complete non-sense.  If we want him to go from an OK outside jump shooter to a terrible one, sure, let's put 30 LBS of muscle on him.

Yes, a lot of basketball players out of high school are of slight builds and do need strength development and to put on LBS to be more effective college players. Mostly post players. I can't think of too many college or pro players who just dramatically alter their physical build over the course of the careers. They kind of are who they are to a point. Ultimately, basketball conditioning is more about agility and endurance, not becoming muscle monsters. They are just different types of athletes.

Now, that said, would a top notch S&C coach like Marotti tailor his program to the needs of basketball players?  Yes he would, and I'm sure he'd be great at it. But that didn't seem to be your point. You rose this thread after seeing how ripped Josh Perry is and then mentioning Sam Thompson who is just skin and bones, and want that same type of gains applied to him. And that's flawed thinking in terms of what basketball players need strength and conditioning wise.

+3 HS
Gobucks2204's picture

I wouldn't want to apply the same gains that Josh Perry had to Sam Thompson, that would definitely slow him down, and hinder his overall game.  I think Marotti would make it athlete and sport specific. I guess I am just wondering if we are maximizing our players overall physical development including increased muscle mass, strength, agility, quickness, and explosiveness.  Sam certainly has the explosiveness already.

Run_Fido_Run's picture

I generally agree, but I wonder if a guy like Sam Thompson might develop physically along the lines of, say, Jason Singleton did. No doubt, Evan Turner was stronger as a junior than he was as a frosh. During the late 1980s/early 90s, the sloppy Bill Robinson turned into a pretty solid and tough player by his senior season.     

Gobucks2204's picture

I agree Fido. I think Sam could develop along the lines of a Singleton.  If he wants to make it to NBA, he is going to need some additional weight and muscle mass without hindering his overall physical abilities. As Urban says the NBA is full of grown ass men.

+1 HS
Gobucks2204's picture

You just gave me flashbacks to Bill Robinson. He certainly gave it his best effort but he would always get in foul trouble. My dad says that we was really dominant in high school.

+1 HS
Run_Fido_Run's picture

Yeah,. Bill was never a high caliber player. On the very good 1990 - 91 and 1991 - 92 teams, I think he got like 12 minutes a game and would grind out like 3 pts and 4 RBs. But, unless I'm mixing him up with someone else, I do remember him making a pretty good body transformation - from sloppy baby fat as a frosh to a semi-coordinated big strong guy as a junior/senior.

There are probably much better examples of cbb players that underwent significant body transformations while improving their games, but I was trying to think about different types of examples - not just the wiry slasher who gets a little more ripped but maintains his "hops," etc.

Gobucks2204's picture

Fido, your bringing up Bill Robinson, somehow reminded me of Perry Carter. Do you remember how muscle bound and ripped he was? I loved that team with Treg Lee and Perry Carter, and I think Jim Jackson too. That team was definitely well developed physically.

Run_Fido_Run's picture

Yeah, that 1990 - 91 team was fun to watch. They were probably a notch below the 1991 - 92 team, but the 90-91 team did have some physical specimens on it. The home game against Indiana in 1991 was a classic IIRC. Of course, the meltdown in the regional final of the NCAA tournament against a so-so St. John's team was shocking and heartbreaking. 

+1 HS
Optimistic Buckeye Pessimist's picture

At most big time programs, S&C coaches are sport specific when it comes to major sports.

Read my entire screen name....

+1 HS
HoopHal's picture

How about hiring   the S&C coach at Arkansas who allegedly (spelling) kicked the crap out of Petrino?

+1 HS
BuckeyeSouth's picture

Urban Meyer would not be OK with this idea.

Embrace it.

+1 HS

In case anyone was wondering, instead of just ignoring Dave Richardson, the football team has their own S&C while the rest of the university shares 4 coaches and 4 interns. Makes sense if you look at the sheer number of scholarship athletes compared from football to the rest of the varsity sports. Dave has been coaching for 24 years, I think he knows what he's doing and doesn't need Coach Mick's help.

http://www.ohiostatebuckeyes.com/strength/staff.html

+2 HS
Gobucks2204's picture

Off the topic but can you guys believe former buckeye basketball player Jon Sanderson is the strength coach for Michigan. I think he has been there for five years. I think that would be hard to take a job at your rival team.  I'm sure he does a good job though. 

Gobucks2204's picture

I remember seeing that. I really hope Dave Bell turns into a good contributor down the road. He certainly has the work ethic, and heart.  They are calling him a project and saying he might be redshirted.  I guess one thing to keep in mind is that no matter how good your strength coach is, it still requires tremendous heart, desire and motivation to excel. Kudos to Dave Bell.

Gobucks2204's picture

Just looking at high school highlights of Dave Bell, with my untrained eye, I think Bell has more of a motor than Amir.

Dave Bell has more activity on the boards and runs more. I don't think he has the size YET to be a nice contributor in college but I certainly see him getting there. I think Bell is a better prospect coming out of high school than Amir was. I watched Amir play, he should never have been ranked as high as he was. He was just so robotic and clumsy and unfortunately he still is.

I like Amir and I want him to play well. I think he has grown since being a freshman but I think it has been in small increments and I just don't see the ceiling that some might. It just seems like he is in thought when he should be more proactive. I think Bell could easily out rebound Amir just on activity alone.

+1 HS
Gobucks2204's picture

I agree Squirrel I think Dave Bell has a higher upside then Amir.  He just seems like he has more energy and effort, and runs the court as well. It does seem that Amir is just thinking too much when he is playing. It's like he is a step behind in the flow of the game.  Let's hope he can be more proactive like you said. 

mmounts's picture

From my understanding S&C doesn't translate as much as it does in football. The slightest muscle change for a basketball player can change their shot. Basketball players live and die by having a consistent motion and adding muscle could make that difficult. Conditioning is obviously another animal. 

Gobucks2204's picture

I know Lebron is a genetic freak, but looking at his before and after pictures from over the years it would be interesting to see how much muscle mass he has gained. He hasn't lost the quickness nor has it had a deleterious effect on his shooting.

pcuzz1's picture

Sam Thompson has been a lot of fun to watch! If he could put it all together. A consistent jumper and more aggressive taking it too the lane. He could be scary good. He always has the athleticism to check multiple positions

pat cozzens

+1 HS
BuckeyeGrownFloridaLiving's picture

Always wondered about this. Even coming in like once or twice a month as a consultant could be HUGE, pun intended.

+1 HS
Gobucks2204's picture

I'm hoping the same thing. I love Sam Thompson. If he can be more consistent with his outside shot, be able to take it to the basket aggressively, and create his own shot he would be unstoppable. I would think his rebounding could excel too with his leaping ability. I love watching highlights of his alley oop dunks off of the out of bounds plays. It's like opponents had to know he was going to get it, but they could never stop it. 

Gobucks2204's picture

Here is a Montage of Sam Thompson's dunks. Funny but when you type Sam Thompson into google, dunk pops up as a key word to use.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvFRxnl_--g

FROMTHE18's picture

Marotti's program is focused on football. Im sure exercises can cross sports, but the overall program and his preparation is geared toward one sport.

+1 HS
GreatLakesMike's picture

It seems the "Bell might redshirt" talk has been cooling off from the coaches lately. I hope Bell is capable of helping the team this year. He appears to be doing all the right things. Definitely adding muscle and I've read that he's grown another inch or two. At the very least, he'll add more competition in practice. 

+2 HS