Ohio State Basketball Forum

Ohio State Basketball Forum

Ohio State men's and women's basketball discussion.

Amir Williams senior season....

Gobucks2204's picture
July 27, 2014 at 4:22pm
31 Comments

Maybe this thread will give us a little break from the recruiting drama for a bit.

I don't intend this to be a hate on Amir thread.  Something just bothered me all last season. When I was younger I attended lots of basketball camps. I remember certain fundamentals were drilled into the campers. Some examples of these fundamentals were things like: never foul a jump shooter! use your left hand to shoot on the left side of the basket, when going for a steal of a pass reach with the outside hand etc.

One thing I noticed that Amir would do is bring down the ball real low after a rebound or after a pass inside. This is something that was drilled into us from youth. Never bring the ball down, because it brings the ball to the level of the opponent where they can steal it or knock it away.  I remember this year watching Tim Duncan catch a rebound and keep the ball at its highest point, then shooting the ball back up from the highest point.

It was frustrating to watch Amir always bring the ball down or try and dribble in the paint and it would get knocked away or stolen. 

I wonder if I am being to hard on the guy. Perhaps he was never taught the fundamentals?  I'm sure Matta and the other staff would drill this into his head, right? It just bothers me that he makes the same fundamental mistakes over and over and he is going to be a senior.  Is it just a matter of him having learned bad habits in high school when he was taller than everyone else and could get away with things like bringing the ball down low?

What are everyone's thoughts on Amir's development? 

Lastly, what can he do personally during offseason workouts and through the season to improve and make this last year his best? Is he capable of having a standout senior year, and eventually be an NBA draftee? I wish him the best, and really think he is a good kid. 

What are other people's thoughts in regard to Amir, his development and his future?I'm hoping he can finish strong, and have good memories of his senior year at Ohio State, and give himself a bright future in basketball.

Thanks in advance for your replies! Be honest with your responses, but avoid any personal attacks on Amir.

Pa_snoborder's picture

What Amir was last season is the Amir you're gonna get this season. 

"No one puts baby in a corner!" - P.Swayze.

+9 HS
MikeTheBuckeye's picture

Unfortunately, this is probably true. Ohio State hasn't been known to develop players under Coach Matta. Thad is a fantastic recruiter and coach. But I wish he would hire some assistants, like Urban Meyer has, that help develop players to reach their full potential.

-1 HS
Mortc15's picture

Greg Oden and Sullinger were 2 of the most dominant post players in the country while at Ohio State. You can't develop players that, I think to the majority of fans, consistently show a lack of effort on the floor. 

Matta has had a fair number of players reach the NBA with solid careers so far: Conley, ET, Koufos, Sully to name a few 

Buck-I4Life

+1 HS
logamaniac's picture

his point was that those guys were all as dominant in the freshman seasons (sullinger) even when it was their only season (oden, conley).

he's saying matta hasn't developed talent beyond what he gets coming in.  id say you could throw in dieb as an example of a slight development but the argument is that he could always shoot lights out.

+2 HS
Mortc15's picture

How many can though? Izzo and Coach K? Elite players rarely play more than a year or 2 max. Anyone staying longer than that generally doesn't have as high a ceiling anyway. 

Buck-I4Life

logamaniac's picture

im not saying theres an easy fix or solution its one of the pitfalls of the one and done cycle.  maybe if the NBA adopted a plan similar to the NFL 3 year from graduation policy?

IBLEEDSCARLETANDGRAY's picture

In his defense I think he's improved over the last 2 seasons though not to the level that we all hoped he would. I also think that he is probably at or close to his ceiling so I am not expecting him to come out and post a double double every night and dominate the B1G. In fact I could very easily see him lose playing time as a senior with the new talent we have coming in. The Buckeyes in recent seasons have played better with a smaller lineup and with Russell and Lee coming in that's a very real possibility. Still, it will be good to have him come off the bench, especially when the Buckeyes face someone with a 7-footer.

"Sherman ran an option play right through the south" - Greatest Civil War analogy EVER.

mtrotb's picture

The good news is he returned for his senior year.  The bad news is he returned for his senior year.

mtrotb

+13 HS
4cornersbuck's picture

His FT shooting improved last year but the rest of his game didn't.

4cornersbuck

+2 HS
Gobucks2204's picture

He shows flashes of promise but they are fleeting and not consistent.  I agree he has progressed, but maybe our expectations were too high because he was a McDonalds All American.  I just want him to be the best he can be, I'm sure he feels some of the negativity and pressure from fans.

+2 HS
pcuzz1's picture

Just like Curtis grant, last chance for Amir to make something out of his career that was extremely hyped coming in. Though, I will say, Curtis has accomplished more as far as expectations.

pat cozzens

rosenbuck's picture

I have to disagree with that last bit.  Grant had 28 tackles last year and like 2 in the last 6 games.  Amir has improved statistically every year, but even as a sophomore against Syracuse in the Elite 8 Amir made quite a contribution when Sully left the game due to foul trouble.  Amir isn't and will not be a star (or probably even objectively good), but he's been a consistent contributor for 2 seasons now.  Now, as for their ceilings for this season? Grant's is definitely higher, especially since they Basketbucks have Anthony Lee now.

-2 HS
Groveport Heisman's picture

Maybe the youthful bigmen added to practice can raise his intensity and heart for the game. We have other options now and before we were pretty much handcuffed with him. I'd consider it a major improvement if he can just handle a hot pass under the basket and not butt fumble it.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

+1 HS
Gobucks2204's picture

Yes the dropped passes were very disheartening.  Can hands be improved by taking pass after pass after pass in drills during practice? Or is this skill something you are just born with?

-1 HS
Ashtabula's picture

Due to NCAA rules, he gets very limited coaching during the off-season. He is who he is.

+2 HS
ShowThemOhiosHere's picture

Maybe being a 7 footer with the raw talent that he has going through high school, maybe he never had the fundamentals drilled into him the way that he should have (like, say, coaches never worried too much about it because of what he could do on the court based on sheer size/athletic ability).  I think Amir is a classic case of not being able to adjust to the level of competition being raised from high school to bigtime college basketball, and has been exposed in many ways.

Class of 2010.

kevdale86's picture

Some kids just don't have to try or work very hard growing up. Everything comes easy to them. When everyone else's talent catches up to them they don't know how to handle it. They've never had to work hard or worry about fundamentals, they were just that much better than everyone else. Maybe this happened to Amir. Some thrive under that pressure, others crumble. Hopefully Amir figures it out this year and becomes a post player that Matta can count on.

Edit: Showthem beat me to it.

+1 HS
buckeyeEddie27's picture

Amir will be a mirror of Amir from last year.

I know there's a game Saturday, and my ass will be there.

+3 HS
brandonbauer87's picture

I can tell it's the basketball offseason. These replies are way too rational. You're all correct, though.

Amir is a solid, contributing big man. He most likely has no NBA future. I think we'll see improvement this season, but he'll still do things that make you scratch your head. 

I think the biggest problem is the expectations everyone had for him. He's not Sullinger or Oden. If we can just appreciate his strengths, and look past his weaknesses, we'll get a lot more sleep. 

+1 HS
rosenbuck's picture

He basically only made the McDonald's team because of a lack of big men, I'm pretty sure he was ranked in the 40-somethings, so the expectations were a bit outsized from the get-go.  I agree that at this point he is what he is, and that's certainly not bad.  It's just not great and probably not good.  Definitely above-average, I think.

Seattle Linga's picture

Hopefully he will have a new passion for the game when he returns to the court this season.

+3 HS
almurray10's picture

I've been waiting Amir to break out since he had that dunk against Syracuse in the tourney his freshman year. Sadly, he hasn't been able to put it together to have any consistent form of success. You hit it on the head about the fundamentals. I don't care how much better he was than his competition in high school, keeping the ball secure after a rebound is day one stuff.

I'll hope to see a new and improved Amir like I have the past two years, but I'm not going to get my hopes up.

+1 HS
BuckeyeLuv's picture

Amir will continue to progress as he has done so every year. 

Always BuckeyeLuv!

+3 HS
Pa_snoborder's picture

Haha@MTROTB.  ^^vote.

"No one puts baby in a corner!" - P.Swayze.

leezy531's picture

that's rather ignorant to say.

ITWASME's picture

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=esrrEwYkvv8 And what exactly was so exciting about this in the first place? Honestly we should have expected his career just from his highlight tape I mean honestly the least exciting one I've ever seen. That being said I do think Amir will at the very least be a good defensive presence down low with the addition of another big

+1 HS
southbay's picture

What Amir was last season is the Amir you're gonna get this season. 

You're probably right, but it doesn't have to be that way.

With Anthony Lee alongside, and better outside shooting from the other players, it won't be as easy for other teams to push Amir around.  Not saying it won't happen, I just think it's up to Amir, he just needs to decide whether he's going to play aggressively all the time and not get down.

I have wondered about this: Amir hits free throws pretty well, why couldn't he connect on a fifteen or twenty foot jump shot once in a while, like some other centers do?  

+1 HS
Gobucks2204's picture

Thanks for everyone's input and thoughtful responses. I have determined to just accept Amir as he is.  Praising the good and trying not to focus on the bad.  This will make me sleep better at night after Buckeye games:)

Buckeye06's picture

Guy should average a double double in the B1G honestly.

I think he can do that, and be a 12/10/2 blocks type of guy.  He's never going to fool us into thinking he's Shaq, but he can be a solid contributor.  He has shown flashes of downright great play, but those last like 3-5 minutes, then he takes a stupid foul and sits on the bench

+1 HS