Ohio State Basketball Forum

Ohio State basketball fan talk.

WAYT (What are Your Thoughts): Thad Matta's Greatest Quality

0 HS
hsipecbc's picture
July 9, 2014 at 12:07pm
14 Comments

Topic/Question up for discussion...

Thad Matta just celebrated his 10th anniversary as the head basketball coach for the Ohio State Buckeyes. There is no doubt that Matta has had a successful stretch with the Buckeyes and it seems that his success will only continue into the future. In terms of basketball, Matta has given Ohio State everything it could ask for: great recruiting classes, Big Ten titles, a NIT Championship, Sweet Sixteens, Elite Eight's, Final Fours, a championship game appearance, and several NBA draft products. Of course, the one thing that Matta has yet to achieve is a National Championship. For the Buckeye's, this hasn't been done since 1960. The task remains huge for Thad as he seeks out that final addition to his trophy case. 
In light of all that Thad has done for Ohio State, what do you feel is his best personal quality that allows him to enjoy his success as the coach of the Buckeye's? Do you feel that this quality will eventually lead to a National title?

My thoughts...

I think that Thad Matta's best personal quality is his consistency. Thad's standards are very high when it comes to winning games, achieving success in the conference, creating deep runs in the tournament and in player development. As with every coach, Matta and the Buckeyes will never achieve 100% consistency in all things (consult your bracket from this past year... yah, the Bucks could not even get past the first round). However, the fact that my bracket and my heart were shattered tells me all I need to know: Thad Matta usually wins! Since arriving, he has only missed the tournament once (assuming eligibility). He has consistently won 20 games a season for the Buckeyes. Matta has consistently put his players in the NBA: Oden ('07), Conley ('07) Cook ('07), Koufos ('08), Mullens ('09), Turner ('08), Diebler ('08), Sullinger ('11), and Thomas ('11). Another factor that displays his consistency could be the ongoing resurgence of the Ohio State Basketball fan base throughout his tenure. Good grief, now even my mom watches Thad's team! Of course, I'm speaking slightly tongue-in-cheek, but the point is valid. Within the past decade, Buckeye basketball is a formidable giant in the NCAA basketball world with a large following and it isn't going away any time soon. In fact, in time I do believe that Thad will eventually win it all! I will go out on a limb and say that it could even happen within 2 years (bold, I know). Regardless, he has been a great coach. All of this is thanks to Thad and his consistency across the board. Thad... we are proud of you! Happy (late) anniversary and go Bucks!

What are your thoughts...?

If you reply to the topic I will try my best to give you a +1. I would love to hear your own thoughts!

Thad Matta is a dapper guy

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 14 Comments