Ohio State Basketball Forum

Ohio State Basketball Forum

Ohio State men's and women's basketball discussion.

Deshaun Thomas Update

moopdawg's picture
June 24, 2014 at 12:49pm
4 Comments
RedStorm45's picture

He is nothing like Boris Diaw.

-4 HS
moopdawg's picture

Well, that's why I said "evolve."  The 2 are about the same height, and as Deshaun gets older, he'll put more weight on.  Deshaun already has very good ball skills, and I'm sure those skills have improved with his time spent in Europe.  Like Diaw, Thomas can knock them down from mid-range and play with his back to the basket.  We all know Thomas needs to improve defensively, but like Diaw, he can cause a lot of matchup problems for opposing teams. Hoping for the best for Deshaun as he tries to find his role in the league.

RedStorm45's picture

Diaw has run as a PG for team's 2nd team in previous stops.  You think DeShaun can just "evolve" the ball-handling and passing skills anywhere near Diaw's?  Tank will be a spot-up shooter in San Antonio (since they don't really run isos) - for the Spurs, maybe he can be an upgrade over Matt Bonner (though slightly smaller).

moopdawg's picture

I definitely do not think Thomas can be a point guard.  But he can back smaller defenders down and play off a high-low with a guy like Duncan.  He did that beautifully at times with Sully at Ohio State.  And your right, if Thomas follows the Spurs system, he'll get lots of open looks as a spot-up shooter.