Ohio State Basketball Forum

Ohio State Basketball Forum

Ohio State men's and women's basketball discussion.

ESPN thinks Matta is #20, Sean Miller #11

TheSweaterVest's picture
June 21, 2014 at 2:33pm
21 Comments

Reminds me of that "Hide ya wife" guy to the intruder: "You are dumb. You are so dumb.'

Guess it's nice they give Mark May something to do during the offseason.

BassDropper's picture

If you take out all of the bias, this isn't that far off base. Maybe not #20, but right now Matta is not a top 10 coach. Maybe with the next couple of recruiting classes and a national championship he moves up. Matta has definitely had some major flaws in the past couple of recruiting classes, you should never have to rely on Aaron Craft to be your offensive scorer,  have Amir Williams getting more than 5-10 minutes a game, or not play your bench.

DIRECTIONER

-3 HS
brandonbauer87's picture

Except Amir Williams should be counted on for much more than 5-10 minutes and Matta played every available scholarship player last season. 

+1 HS
2002osubuck's picture

He's done an incredible job at OSU coaching and recruiting. You must not remember OSU bball before Matta came on the scene. He's had 20+ wins in every season, took us to 4 "sweet 16s" in a row, made several final fours and played for a national title. Not to mention, he'd have a ring from that game if not for a Florida team, that happened to be one of the best in the last decade.

+2 HS
BassDropper's picture

Not discrediting what he has done at OSU and for the state of Ohio State basketball...but when looking at it from a national standpoint, that means nothing. 

The fact is he doesn't have a ring, could've, should've, would've means shit. His best team got owned by Florida. 

DIRECTIONER

-1 HS
logamaniac's picture

i remember that being a close game for the title, was i mistaken?

chicagobuckeye's picture

I think people forget that Ohio state isn't a basketball school, and being generally between the sweet sixteen and finals is a big deal. Sean miller did a lot recently but one it's at Arizona, and two it's only been 5 seasons if he does this continually and doesn't win a championship, then he will be seen as the same as Thad matta. 

+1 HS
bucknutfern4's picture

But Matta is closer to being a top ten coach than Miller.

+1 HS
Chief B1G Dump's picture

Win a title and don't leave it up for debate. 

Knocking on the door here and there but time to make the jump up an echelon...similar to Phil Mickelson later in his career, finally busting through and winning majors. 

+1 HS
Deadly Nuts's picture

This article is based mostly off recent success which is why Matta is so low. But it's ESPN, that means Coach K won't be harmed by losing to Mercer.

LEBRON

RBuck's picture

Thad is top five easily.

"It's just another case of there you are". ~ Doc (1918-2012)

otrain2416's picture

Trying to be as unbiased as possible, last season was the first season IMO we didn't have "superstar" to carry the team. As everyone saw from the results we didn't make it far in the tourny and didn't exactly have an outstanding season, despite playing a pretty tough schedule. Thad is an outstanding coach, but I'm not sure after what I saw last season if he's top 10 material. 

+1 HS
305Buck's picture

He took a team with no superstar to 25-10. Coach K took a team with a superstar to 26-9 and got kicked out the first round by Mercer.

STOP.

+5 HS
2002osubuck's picture

^^^^thank you! We wouldnt even of made the tournament if not for Matta. He knew playing great D was the only chance for this team to win games. 

otrain2416's picture

305 it's not like we lost to only top 25 teams. You clearly forget we lost to Nebraska, Penn State Twice, Our rival up North Twice and Dayton. I'm sorry those are unacceptable losses. Even TSUN you should at least bare minimum beat them once at home. Sure we had 3 good wins with Iowa, Wisconsin, and Sparty as well, but those losses hurt. Not saying we're gonna win them all, but seriously losing to a gutter team like Penn State twice!? Yes we had no superstars, but we had a ton of veterans with A LOT of experience that we're very capable of playing a lot better and going a lot further in the tournament. 

-3 HS
IBLEEDSCARLETANDGRAY's picture

So Thad Matta's a mediocre coach because he had the first down year of his career? Matta may not be top 5 but he sure as HELL isn't 20th. That was just insulting.

"Sherman ran an option play right through the south" - Greatest Civil War analogy EVER.

+3 HS
sb97's picture

So you list 4 teams.

Dayton - Made it to the elite eight and also bumped off Syracuse on the way.  Its time to give them the respect they deserve.  They were a good team with a good coach.

*ichigan - Just had three players drafted as compared to our none.  It sucks to say this but they were the better team last season.

Nebraska - Actually finished ahead of us in the conference but we were 2-1 against them last season.  I don't know if they can sustain it but again this was a solid team last year.

PSU - These are the only ones that can be considered a bad loss.

+2 HS
logamaniac's picture

not to mention it was still in the tournament, which means they were still better than PSU which swept us this year.  Anyone can get hot in the tournament, maybe duke beats them 999/1000 times otherwise.

Mortc15's picture

When has a coach ever been great without top level players? 

Buck-I4Life

+1 HS
sb97's picture

To be fair, the article was pretty clear that last year really sunk his rating.  I have to be honest, I see Matta in the top 2-3 in the Big Ten and certainly top 10 nationally.  People seem to forget just how stagnant the Ohio State program was when he got here.

+1 HS
logamaniac's picture

right, and hes done a terrific job at OSU but we are talking nationally.  theres a lot of guys doing well with absolutely nothing, and the guys that are saying matta didnt have any stars what are you talking about hes flush with mcdonalds all americans so that should lend more credence to him not currently being a top 10 coach.

a few of the guys are right in this thread until he makes that breakthrough hes on the outside looking in but im happy to have him at OSU, not really a traditional BB powerhouse anyways.

-1 HS
PasadenaBuckeye626's picture

The ESPN top 50 was so bad that I actually started to rank them myself.  I wish I were kidding

Go Bucks!