Ohio State Basketball Forum

Ohio State Basketball Forum

Ohio State men's and women's basketball discussion.

McDonalds All American Game/D-Russ

TheShookster's picture
March 31, 2014 at 2:48pm
58 Comments

Who will be watching? I think the game is this Wednesday. After skimming over the rosters it looks like a Duke and Kentucky commitment party, but obviously our very own D'Angelo Russell will be making an appearance as well. Did Bates-Diop barely miss out on this game? What are the chances Myles Turner decides D'Angelo Russell is awesome and that playing for the same school as him would be equally as awesome? Yeah yeah we all know there's pretty much no chance Turner picks the Buckeyes but there is no room here for your pessimism or facts...I have only seen Russell's offensive highlights (and Bates-Diop's as well) but from someone who knows the game of basketball better than I, what are the chances Russell makes a significant contribution to the team next season? 

The Rill Dill's picture

Once you see him play, your fear will be gone.  He is the real deal (rill dill).

+9 HS
dc28's picture

I think Russell could start at the 2 guard. Thad will sub him out after about 7 minutes. Give him a two minute break then sub him back in for Scott to run the point. Starting lineup could be PG: Scott, SG: Russell, Forward/Guard (3): Thompson, The 4 or Power Forward: The Recruit from Temple and at Center: Williams. Loving coming off the bench with Diop and Jackson.

+2 HS
ITWASME's picture

Ummmmm Jackson? I'm not trying to be a dick i truly want to know if there's some player I don't know

+1 HS
Buckeyevstheworld's picture

If he doesn't score 50pts(on 100% shooting), Thad should pull his scholarship.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+5 HS
kareemabduljacobb's picture

I could see Russel average somewhere in the 12-15 ppg ballpark.  We need scoring and he can definitely provide that as well as play back up PG to Scott.  Assuming Williams keeps improving, if only steadily plus the addition of Lee down low, it should free up our shooters and other guards to start making plays and getting easier looks. 

+1 HS
MacG91's picture

Idk about 12-15 ppg as a freshman, that's dontre expectations there. I think 8-10 ppg is more realistic. 

Mac..yeah

That may be true, but we're going to need scoring from somewhere as we're losing our top 3 scorers from this past season.

JakeBuckeye's picture

This is college basketball. Freshman expectations and freshman chances to succeed are MUCH larger than in football. You cannot compare a freshman in football to a freshman in basketball. Apples, meet Oranges.

+3 HS
MacG91's picture

I wasn't comparing chances to succeed as a freshman with each sport. I was comparing hype. OSU has only had 4 freshmen who matched/surpassed expectations their freshman year(Oden, Connley, Craft, Sullinger). I'm not saying he can't but it's unfair to him to say he will. There are very few freshman who can average 15 ppg and if he does manage to average that much, he'll probably be a one and done. 

Mac..yeah

MacG91's picture

I'm pretty sure Wiggins, Parker and Randle were the only freshman to average 15ppg. (Not positive tho) 

Mac..yeah

They all also had multiple teammates who could score a lot. Russel could be the #1 or 2 option by midseason.

tennbuckeye19's picture

At guard, OSU doesn't really have a lot of options. Shannon Scott will obviously be playing the point. Russell is a versatile combo-guard, so he will more than likely be the 2, as well as Scott's back-up. The only other guard on the roster is SG Kam Williams, who red-shirted this season and who Thad said is a great shooter.

Jordan Wagner's picture

D'Angelo Russell and Kelsey Mitchell will compete in the 3PT competition tonight at 9PM on ESPNU. 

2002osubuck's picture

Is the game Wednesday at 9pm on eSECpnu?

+1 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

Pssh, how am I supposed to see through all of my tears from the HIMYM finale?

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

+1 HS
ODEEZ330's picture

Kid is def a playmaker and will be one of our best offensive options next year

O'Deez330
stark county football

Seattle Linga's picture

Can't wait to see Mitchell come into her own - she's going to take this team far...............

+1 HS
UrbanCulture's picture

Russel must have been eliminated or something cuz he is no longer in the competition

TheShookster's picture

Yeah...that was kind of a buzzkill

TheShookster's picture

and no Mitchell either...

edr4225's picture

all man russell didnt make the finals 

lets go bucks!!

OSU069's picture

Russell was dropping dimes in the dunk contest though.

+1 HS
Mike Young's picture

4/2, 9:30 PM ET on ESPN... Replay on ESPNU later in the night.

Russell's on the same team as Myles Turner. 1 Other B1G player in the game: James Blackmon Jr. (Indiana)

The girls' game is on at 7 on ESPNU. Mitchell and Kathryn Westbeld (Notre Dame) from Kettering are in that game.

TheShookster's picture

My cousin played at Fairmont with Adam Westbeld, I'm just going to assume Kathryn is his sister

ab1993's picture

I went to high school with Mitchell; she's from Princeton, not Kettering.

Class of '16

Buckeyevstheworld's picture

Russell's on the same team as Myles Turner.

Hope he did some recruiting.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

OldColumbusTown's picture

I'm pretty sure Maryland has a recruit in the game as well.  At least they're good for something...

sivaDavis's picture

Ball out Russell!

"I've had smarter people around me all my life, but I haven't run into one yet that can outwork me. And if they can't outwork you, then smarts aren't going to do them much good." - Woody Hayes

+1 HS
edr4225's picture

lets go bucks!!

+2 HS
edr4225's picture

nice jumper by d angelo!!

lets go bucks!!

+1 HS
Mike Young's picture

Don't know how much of him we'll see tonight. Has to be in NYC this weekend... but that's ok he'll be on ESPNU tomorrow at 6 ET in the Dick's Sporting Goods National Tournament. Might be on the ESPN networks all weekend if his (loaded) Montverde team runs through and gets to MSG.

Johnny-Shane_Utah-Falco's picture

Great to see D'A-Russ & Turner sitting by each other, talking

+3 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE

+1 HS
TheShookster's picture

When can I buy my D Russ jersey? Love this guy.

+2 HS
Johnny-Shane_Utah-Falco's picture

Russell, so far, may be the best player on the floor tonight...which is obviously saying a lot.

buckeyecityterror's picture

Kid's gotta sweet jumper.

If there is no struggle, there is no progress.

+1 HS
edr4225's picture

Russell with some nice passes

lets go bucks!!

TheShookster's picture

That no look to Cliff Alexander was nice too bad Cliff couldn't handle it

+1 HS
TheShookster's picture

If D'Angelo can recruit like he can shoot, maybe OSU still has a chance at Turner!

+1 HS
sivaDavis's picture

First school Turner mentioned was Ohio State when he was talking about joking around with guys about his commitment saying, "It's fun, me and the guys joke around and one might say, "If I beat you in a game of air hockey you commit to Ohio State"..." Get after him Russ!

Oh and just a little sidenote, I'm praying Joel Embiid returns to Kansas for another season because I truly believe that Ohio State could benefit and get Turner if he does. Myles hasn't visited SMU yet and Texas seems to have a couple big men that I don't think he would want to sit behind, like Ibeh and Ridley. And I heard he was told by one of the Kansas coaches that if Embiid comes back then not to bother which seems strange? Also what is going on with SMU!? I saw that Mudiay is committed to SMU and they got another 5 star in Frazier last year? Maybe I'm just looking way too much into it but I didn't think SMU was a hot spot for big time recruits. I know Texas is a hotbed but to out recruit Texas, A&M, Baylor and their neighbors seems just really odd. Brown must be doing work down there. I know they had a pretty good season in his second year so maybe they are on the come up.

"I've had smarter people around me all my life, but I haven't run into one yet that can outwork me. And if they can't outwork you, then smarts aren't going to do them much good." - Woody Hayes

tennbuckeye19's picture

I've read several stories suggesting that Embiid is seriously considering returning to school. I can see why he might want to return to KU, especially when he is considered a raw prospect and there are questions about his back. But it would be tough to pass up being a top 5 pick. It was Bill Self who supposedly told Turner that if Embiid comes back that he should go elsewhere.

Also, according to 247 Turner visited SMU "unofficially" in February.

+1 HS
sivaDavis's picture

Ahh thanks Tenn, I must have missed it. And yeah that's crazy, even if Embiid were to come back, you turn away a player of Myles caliber? That's crazy to think of. He would still play and Embiid would likely leave after the 2nd year anyway.

+1 HS
tennbuckeye19's picture

I agree. But if Turner is considered a one and done player, which he probably will be, perhaps as much as Bill Self I'm sure would love to add another 5 star player, maybe he's trying to look out for the kid's best interest.

+2 HS
sivaDavis's picture

Hmm didn't think of it that way, I guess as much as I hate Kansas for the past 4 years, still have to give kudos to Bill Self. I just feel like you can never have enough good talented big men.

+2 HS
sivaDavis's picture

Also, the one big man from Kentucky was drafted and I'm pretty sure he never started one game but was still solid for them. Daniel Orton I think it was? Depth at the 5 is something you don't see very much.

TheShookster's picture

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_a0RZsELEY D'Angelo Russell says Myles Turner, future Buckeye. Not that this means anything but this video is kind of cool. I can't wait to watch this kid in the S&G

+1 HS
edr4225's picture

lets go bucks!!

OSUFlash's picture

Russell will definitely be a great addition and brings the skills we desperately need. Hard to really tell a whole lot from last night since defense was basically non-existent. But you come to expect that in an Allstar game. Turner sounds like a great young man and very mature for his age. Hopefully he lands in Columbus but wherever he goes i wish him well.

osuflash

+1 HS
Jbucks's picture

what was Russ's stat line?

Light shines in the darkness and the darkness has not overcome it-John 1:5 SEC meet Ohio State, Ohio State meet SEC

tennbuckeye19's picture

11 points, on 5-10 shooting, 1-2 from 3 pt, 2 rebounds, 4 assists, 2 to's, in 15 minutes played.

Also, his prep school Montverde Academy defeated Sagemont and has moved on to the Semifinals to face Huntington Prep of WV in the Dick's Sporting Goods National High School Tournament. Russell's team plays today @ 4:30 pm on ESPN2.

Colerain 2004 G.O.A.T.'s picture

I seen Russells  team play earlier in the year against Cliff Alexanders on espin. Alexander made a couple of the most dominating plays I have ever seen in HS BBall. He is listed at 6'9 240 PF but is very physical around  the bucket. Turner is only a inch taller and is giving up at least 20 lbs to Alexander.Cliff is a top 3 type of player in the Nation. Just wondering why Turner would even consider Kansas with Alexander already in the fold and their current center contemplating staying.

I speak the truth but I guess that's a foreign language to yall.~~Lil Wayne

collards's picture

Russell didn't seem to have his best game last night.  I hope he comes out strong tonight.

More importantly, I hopes he comes out strong next year.

Collards

TheShookster's picture

Russell is definitely riding the struggle bus today...nothing is going in...

+1 HS
TheShookster's picture

Well he ended up with 17 and hit clutch free throws at the end of the game...if that's a bad game for him that's excellent.

+1 HS
collards's picture

He had way too many turnovers. He lost the ball several times. He scored, but he took a lot of shots. He even was upset with his game. I hope he comes out great guns tomorrow. 

Collards

-1 HS
Colerain 2004 G.O.A.T.'s picture

Wow what a finish. Russell hit 6 free throws in a row to score the final 6 pts for his team in a come from behind win. Kid looks like the real deal folks.

I speak the truth but I guess that's a foreign language to yall.~~Lil Wayne

Jbucks's picture

wish I had cable right now then... I dont live to far from huntington here in WV, & being a pure bread OH buckeye I would have loved to see a Buckeye put a frown on some of these hillbilly faces

Light shines in the darkness and the darkness has not overcome it-John 1:5 SEC meet Ohio State, Ohio State meet SEC

+1 HS