Ohio State Basketball Forum

Ohio State Basketball Forum

Ohio State men's and women's basketball discussion.

Trevor Thompson Tweets & More

Jordan Wagner's picture
March 31, 2014 at 1:34pm
39 Comments

It appears Ohio State is going after the seven foot Virginia Tech transfer pretty hard. He would have to sit out next year, but would then have three years of eligibility. I wrote about Thompson a few days ago, so check it out for more background info. 

While his stats don't jump out at you, I am impressed that he scored 15 points vs. Duke. He really came on late in the season. 

Right now, OSU is only slated to have Dave Bell at center (if you consider him a center) in 2015. 

Here is some info from Bob Baptist. He also notes that he will visit on April 11th:

rdubs's picture

What other schools seem to be prime candidates?  If KU ends up being a serious contender it might be hard to beat them out given their recent success with big men transfers Kevin Young and Tarik Black.  But their need isn't as high either right now.

Jordan Wagner's picture

Ohio State, Indiana, Purdue and Butler seem like the top schools. 

Braxton2Devin's picture

Seems like we're gonna get Trevor, too.

Still wish Matta could've worked his "transfer magic" last year to success on Rodney Hood

+1 HS
luckynutz's picture

Duke had jabari parker coming. Ohio state did not. Thats why hood chose duke...to play with an elite phenom for one year. This year, ohio state has elite talent coming. And the returning bigs aren't awe inspiring in the least bit. Lee saw the ability to come here and make an impact. Im sure Thompson is looking at the depth chart, sees 3 bigs on their way out and only one coming in (so far.) And a chance to contend for more than just NIT bids here.

+4 HS
tennbuckeye19's picture

Not exactly. Hood decided to transfer to Duke in July of 2012 and Parker committed in December of 2012. Hood has actually been at Duke for 2 years. Last year he red-shirted per NCAA transfer rules. I'm more inclined to believe Hood chose Duke because it's Duke and he would be playing for Coach K. 

+4 HS
luckynutz's picture

Didn't even think about that. Forgot hood wasnt one of those grad student transfers. But either way, the same applies. The allure of playing at duke is what swayed him. Dont think there was any chance of matta changing that.

+1 HS
Johnny-Shane_Utah-Falco's picture

Let's get him! We lose like 7 guys after next season.

MikeEagleBuckeye's picture

I like our odds against those three schools.  Come on down Trevor!

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

I like what direction those tweets are trending in..................

Braxton2Devin's picture

So what centers, besides Trevor Thompson, are we going after for 2015 and 2016?!

tennbuckeye19's picture

At this point only David Bell is committed/signed. But OSU has 6 offers out for centers for 2015, and 2 so far out for 2016. 

Check out http://www.verbalcommits.com/schools/ohio-state for a breakdown of the scholly's/offers. 

KevinJ's picture

2015 big Daniel Giddens http://247sports.com/Player/Daniel-Giddens-19715

I'm sure there are others as well

Johnny-Shane_Utah-Falco's picture

D'Angelo Russell has a teammate we are recruiting. He is a Center.

2002osubuck's picture

He would still have 3 years of eligibility after sitting out a year? For some reason I thought transfers had to sit that year as a form of punishment by NCAA. We definitely need a solid big man and he'd be a great pickup.

Jordan Wagner's picture

You're correct, however, Thompson would redshirt during his mandated year off. He would then have 3 years to play three seasons. 

tennbuckeye19's picture

A kid normally has 5 years to play 4 seasons, allowing for a red-shirt. As Jordan said, he's played one year at VT and now will have to sit out a year per NCAA transfer rules, leaving him 3 more years of eligibility. 

+2 HS
bcarp87's picture

yeah what's with the capital E??

ShowThemOhiosHere's picture

It's Buckeyes lol not BuckEyes.  We're nuts, not eyes of a deer.

Class of 2010.

+4 HS
JakeBuckeye's picture

Although, that is why we're called Buckeyes, since the buckeye nut resembles the eye of a buck.

+3 HS
ShowThemOhiosHere's picture

I'll take this double post to say that we need bigs, and I hope he chooses the good guys.

Class of 2010.

+4 HS
JakeBuckeye's picture
+1 HS
BengalErnst's picture

Size matters. Love to add this big. 

Nicholas l Ernst

Seattle Linga's picture

Love what he did against Duke and coming on late last season..........We need him

+1 HS
DenBuck's picture

Why not? Need any bigs with a pulse...

Buckeye For Life

+1 HS
southbay's picture

Exactly, the kid is seven feet tall and has a pulse, any coaching staff worth their salt should be able to develop him into a decent center.  Oh, wait...

-1 HS
Buckeye Chuck's picture

While his stats don't jump out at you, I am impressed that he scored 15 points vs. Duke. He really came on late in the season. 

I don't want to come across as negative on Thompson, but I think you have to be careful when citing stats for players on bad teams, especially bad teams that were clearly looking towards the future by the latter weeks of the 2013-14 season. For instance, virtually that entire game against Duke was played in garbage time (Duke won by 18, but got off to a 24-4 lead). Numbers against good teams is fine, but numbers against good teams in winning efforts is better. Every team, no matter how lousy, has someone who leads it in scoring and rebounding.

There's an obvious opening for fall 2015 -- no one seems to think Bell will be ready by then -- so landing this young man will take a load off everyone's mind.

The most "loud mouth, disrespect" poster on 11W.

+1 HS
southbay's picture

There's an obvious opening for fall 2015 -- no one seems to think Bell will be ready by then

I'm aware that Bell hasn't been playing basketball as long as most recruits have by the time they get here.  But when does anyone think he'll be ready?  Fall 2015 is eighteen months away from now, geez.

Seems to me that OSU doesn't ever expect much from freshmen big men, except Oden, and then we wonder why they develop slowly. 

And there isn't any more to this comment.

KBonay's picture
+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

K Thanks for being the eyes and ears of our recruiting world.

+1 HS
Colerain 2004 G.O.A.T.'s picture

Its a good sign he is here I agree and I think we ultimately get him but his lil brothers or whoever wore maize n blue to the OSU spring game.Whyyyyyyyyyy???????????

I speak the truth but I guess that's a foreign language to yall.~~Lil Wayne

-5 HS
southbay's picture

That's not TTUN garb, and I don't think he has any interest in playing for TTUN.

-1 HS
BassDropper's picture

since when has highlighter-green and black become Michigan's colors.

DIRECTIONER

+1 HS
Colerain 2004 G.O.A.T.'s picture

On my screen it is noticeably navy blue and some highlighter BS color similar enough to draw comparisons. Matta and Trevor have black on it you can tell its darker then the two wee ones shirts. We were playing *ichigan in lacrosse and I know he isn't even considering them Im asking if there is a connection or what? Now do I have to worry about your feminine ass following me around down voting me because of my screen quality? Quit getting your feelings so hurt in other threads that you have to turn into a stalkerish type female  lookin mofo.

I speak the truth but I guess that's a foreign language to yall.~~Lil Wayne

-4 HS
rightfield's picture

Matta put a full court press on Thompson at the Spring Game. He had Urban and Braxton come over and talk with Thompson and his family. I hope Trevor was feeling the love and gave Thad a signed letter of intent before he left town. 

Its good to be the king

edr4225's picture

he is a buckeye

lets go bucks!!

+2 HS
halfmile78's picture

Thad starting to renew my confidence in his ability to close on recruits/transfers. This is great news!

Halfmile78