Ohio State Basketball Forum

Ohio State Basketball Forum

Ohio State men's and women's basketball discussion.

Do we really want Wisky,MSU and *ichigan to reach the final four?

Colerain 2004 G.O.A.T.'s picture
March 30, 2014 at 1:56pm
56 Comments

Just sitting here thinking about it a little bit and thought I might gather some thoughts from some other fans of tOSU. Do you want to root for the B1G even though these teams are our hated rivals? Would we not be stooping to the sec sec sec level? If we have 3 of the final four teams it would almost be a certainty that a B1G team wins the National title,which is a pretty big deal. Would the media even care? We know if Kentucky,Florida,and Tennessee made the final 4 that we wouldnt hear the end of it EVER. Will they praise the B1G for conference supremacy? I for one will never in my lifetime root for *ichigan to win in anything EVER. This is basketball not football,and I feel like some of the younger generation has been taught that our biggest enemy is the sec when in fact they are completely irrelevant to us especially in basketball. There is rooting for your bracket, and maybe money is on the line who knows.But then there is rooting for one of your bitter rivals to "win it all" and somehow try to piggy back off the success of said rival "sec style". I guess Im hoping that we havent reached that level yet and that we as fans of tOSU will want our own accomplishments to speak for themselves. For the record my bracket had Wisky,MSU and tOSU all making it to the final four. I just cant root for all the publicity,bragging rights,recruiting advantages that come with a National title to go to a team or coach that I despise. Guess Im anti-sec in that reguards.

ODEEZ330's picture

I hope msu or wiscy wins it. Ryan runs an awesome program and system i hAve great respect for him and same for izzo. Please no scum title in football or basketball though

O'Deez330
stark county football

+3 HS

Not sure I respect Ryan the same way you do but I do love the defensive style he runs. Izzo might deserve it more then any coach left and I have a shit ton of respect for the man. I got to catch the Wisky/Zona game last night at the bar and have to say it was one of the best college basketball games I have been blessed to witness. Kaminsky or whatever his name is for Wisky is a hell of a player.

I speak the truth but I guess that's a foreign language to yall.~~Lil Wayne

+1 HS
MacG91's picture

Yes ofcourse we do, Every time our conference wins, it makes OSU look better. Don't you want OSU to play in what is perceived to be the best basketball conference? It helps in recruiting massively. I always root for B10 out of conference, and I always root for the SEC to loose. Yes I'd rather have Wisky, ttun, and MSU in the final four than two SEC teams. 

Mac..yeah

+1 HS

See I think it really does help in recruiting but Im not sure it really helps "us" in recruiting. Im really during some research on folks who root for their bitter rivals because they think it will somehow benefit themselves. Im standing pretty pat on that any of the advantages to said rival would outweigh any tiny boost we would gain.

+1 HS
MacG91's picture

You always root for your conference, its not the 'sec style' to do that. The better your conference looks, the better you look. I don't think that its a younger generation thing to think the sec is our biggest rival either. ttun will always be our biggest rival. 

Mac..yeah

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Mac - I do want the B1G to look good and to play well but I certainly don't want the wolverines winning anything - EVER

+3 HS
BassDropper's picture

Wisconsin. Deal with it.

DIRECTIONER

+1 HS
Chief B1G Dump's picture

I am all for Sparty and Wisco being in thr title game and one of them winning it.
I cant stand KenSucky or Calipari. With Sparty and Wisco reppin the B1G already (Wisco already to Final4), Id probably want to see most other schools pound scUM. However, due to the no-win matchup, I guess Id like to see scUM move on and have 3 or the 4 Final4 squads be from the B1G.

Seattle Linga's picture

Like minded my friend - like minded. 

Callapari reminds me of a greasy used car salesman.

Edit - No offense JC

+1 HS
Alpo's picture

Nope. Want Uconn to pick off MSU in the 2nd half today.

+1 HS

You my good Sir won the internet for the day..

+2 HS
mrspray's picture

With OSU out of the dance, it's a lot easier for me to root for other teams - especially other B1G teams. I picked MSU to go all the way anyway, so I have some reason to root for them there, but I have no issue with the success of MSU & Wisconsin bball here. *ichigan on the other hand, I'm ok with them losing any day of the year - I especially don't want them winning it all.

+3 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Agreed and kudos for the post. 

Question - are you Mr. Spray or Mrs. Pray ?? Just for future reference.

+2 HS
mrspray's picture

That's funny - you're the 2nd person to ask… mr. spray it is.

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Are you a fumigator ?? Haha

PittBuckeye's picture

I want them all to win a lot of games. And then lose to OSU next year, and every year. It's hard to pick who I'd want to win it all out of that group, but I have to go with MSU. Hate Michigan too much, and recent years have made me dislike Wisky more and more. 

+2 HS
KBonay's picture

The alternate would be to want Kentucky or Florida?

+3 HS

So you are admitting that Florida and Kentucky are bigger rivals then *ichigan and Wisky? This is all part of research and nobody will condemn you for your honest output. Im trying to see if the all mighty propaganda machine has created false enemies. Ive already established a baseline that has conference affiliation factoring in on how folks fill out their brackets. MSU ,*m and Wisky folks would not root for us under any circumstances . So Im having a hard time figuring out how people that root for tOSU want those schools to succeed. The feeling is not mutual best believe.

+1 HS
UCBuckeye's picture

So we should only root for teams that will root for Ohio State in return? That makes sense

Not at all but what sense does it make rooting for bitter rivals that would rather see our team die in a bus wreck? Thats a really defensive stance you took on the subject. Id like to pick your brain a bit on how you really feel on the subject. Who is your 1st,2nd,and 3rd favorite team?

UCBuckeye's picture

Ohio State, Ohio State and Ohio State. I go to Cincinnati and don't even consider them one of my favorite teams, I've attended more Ohio State sporting events than UC sporting events during my five years here. I love Ohio State as much or more than anybody else on here. It burns my blood seeing someone wear anything *ichigan in Ohio, wear that shit somewhere else. My point is, I've grown up rooting for the B1G during the non-conference and post-season. But being a Buckeye, that only goes so far. I absolutely did not root for *ichigan in last years basketball championship game and I can't stand Louisville. But regardless, I'm not going to root against somebody just bc their fan base wouldn't root for us in the same situation. And I certainly won't root for or against somebody just bc somebody on the internet has a differing opinion.

+1 HS

First off let me say that I highly appreciate your honest and quick feedback on this subject. I am not trying to alter anyones opinion on this matter. I too live in the Cincy area but wouldnt attend a Bearcat game if the tickets were free. *ichigan got their pants pulled down by a team that I highly despise. Im just trying to get a general feel on how and who we root for. Most of us cant stand Kentucky and Florida or any sec school,but would we be willing to see an actual rival win it all over a team that we may never even face again? It is a very interesting subject an I applaud your honesty.

KBonay's picture

@Colerain:  I wouldn't call it rooting for Wisky, UM or MSU.  I would more liken it to my pure hatred of Florida.  And Kentucky.
Florida- They knocked us out of 2 National Titles (Hoops and Football).  My brother went to Florida St.  Double whammy there. You could say my hate for Florida is > to that of Michigan (that may not go over well here, but it is what it is).
Kentucky:  I grew up in Cincinnati (assuming you did as well) and didn't like Kentucky in it's glory days.  All of my fair-weather Cincy fans that love Notre Dame football and Kentucky basketball (you know of them) just increased my distaste over the years.  And now with Calipari there...no way.

So...I would say I respect the B1G teams more.  And could at least stomach them winning it all.  But I have ZERO respect for Florida and/or Kentucky.  Add the SEC bs in the mix and there is no way in hell I could want either of those teams beating a B1G. But that's just me.  And I don't think or expect any other Buckeyes to have those same thoughts.

+1 HS
bleedscarlet's picture

Rooting for all 3 to make final 4. Yes, that means rooting for UM to make it one more round, can't stand UK and I think Calipari is dirty as fu*#. Beyond that I root for Ohio players and since B1G teams obviously have more of them than others still in, they'll be the ones I holler for. Since OSU can't make it MSU vs Wisky for the championship would be ideal for me....

I'm too drunk to taste this chicken

+1 HS
southbay's picture

I'm watching MSU and UConn with 1:13 left.  It's basically a home game for UConn at Madison Square Garden.  Lundquist and Raftery seem pretty excited for the Huskies too!

Edit:  Sparty is out.  Where's the open thread?

Seattle Linga's picture

Spart'ys run of going to the final 4 is done. 

19 straight free throws for Uconn - if only we had a sliver of that ability this year at that free throw line

+3 HS
southbay's picture

Yeah, I hope the basketball Buckeyes were all paying attention.  That was a clinic on how to beat Tom Izzo's team.

+2 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Not a uconn fan but Kevin Ollie has done a nice job with the Huskies - future is bright there

+1 HS
Philly_Buckeye's picture

Not sad to see Sparty eliminated. I was really split at what I wanted to happen. I do want the Big Ten to be perceived as the best conference. However, I am bitter at MSU for ruining the football season and handing basketball their first loss. I will never root for scUM in anything. If Wisconsin wants to go win it, I'm fine with that. I just couldn't bear to see either state up north team win it, especially after this year. 

Ohio State class of 2018

+2 HS
CentralFloridaBuckeye's picture

I can't root for TTUN.  Living in Florida and being an OSU grad I sure as hell don't want the Gators to win it.  So That leaves me pulling for Wisconsin.  I'm no UK fan either since they are in the SEC.  UCONN would not be quite as bad either.  So Wisky 1 and UCONN 2.

Go Bucks!

+2 HS
southbay's picture

Down to five teams and I can't stand any of them!  

+2 HS
Go1Bucks's picture

Id like to UV this 100 times please. Moderator, please make it happen.

Go Bucks!

+1 HS
Philly_Buckeye's picture

I'm the same, except Sparty was included in my 6.

Ohio State class of 2018

The Rill Dill's picture

First 'spart' of the year, complete.

Second 'spart' of the year: November, 8th.

+4 HS
AGAB's picture

The prospect of an all SEC (UK/UF) NCAA championship game really makes my skin crawl. I will root for ANY B1G team that can keep that possibility from becoming a reality. Can you imagine the hype we will have to endure from all the media types that love to love on the SEC? OMG  !!

So the sec "in basketball" is a bigger monster and bigger threat to tOSU than MSU,Wisky,*ichigan? I guarantee if KY beats UM you will hear the SEC SEC SEC chant. Oh well...Id rather watch them fist pump their chest then have to deal with our real enemy winning and bragging about it for the next 50 years. This is becoming more interesting by the second on how people hate sec schools more then their biggest rivals.

AGAB's picture

I live in the heart of the SEC cauldron, I mean country !! Yes, I hate the SEC more than UM. Sorry !! Besides we usually beat TTUN in fball and bball. We hardly ever beat the SEC in fball or bball. Witness our definitive losses to UF and UK. It is an insufferable conference with even more unsufferable fans. It would be great if we could field a high caliber bball team, then this discussion would be moot. Hope we get  to the FF next season. Go BUCKS !

+1 HS

So you feel any sec school is a bigger more important rival then *ichigan? That is interesting and hopefully something will change that train of thought.

Buckeyevstheworld's picture

We hardly ever beat the SEC in fball or bball.

If you ignore that 3 game winning streak against, UF, you're right.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

BHT's picture

I don't. Sparty is out and I really do not want TTUN to go back to the final four. Go win the championship for the B1G, Wisconsin, or hope UConn beats Florida and Wisky/Kentucky.

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Not a big Bo Ryan fan here but the kids on Wisky remind me of those kids bringing their lunch pails to work every day.  

So done with Callapari's act

Delusional Boss from the 90's was a uconn fan

Never gonna root for ttun

Florida does not need another BB championship

ShowThemOhiosHere's picture

It's 7:17 PM AND....TTUN STILL SUCKS!   HAHAHA

Class of 2010.

+3 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Another exit in the tourney haven't won since their cheating days.........

+2 HS
IH8UOFM's picture

Cant wait to ask some of their fans, tomorrow, "what did they win this year?" HA!

+2 HS

I hate Kentucky and Uconn and Florida as much as the next man but thankfully they took some of the delusion away from the minority. Those teams are not our true enemies. When the Kentucky kid hit that 3 with 2.6 seconds left I felt a tingle throughout my body that was god sent.

Why the UConn hate?

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+2 HS
sivaDavis's picture

How does UM, MSU and Wisconsin possibly making the final four make US look good? Conference, yes. Ohio State, not really. It's good to see a team from the B1G do well but I want OHIO STATE to do well. Any team with the M word in their name can lose every game they play and I wouldn't mind.

"I've had smarter people around me all my life, but I haven't run into one yet that can outwork me. And if they can't outwork you, then smarts aren't going to do them much good." - Woody Hayes

+2 HS

What did Maryland ever do to you?

+2 HS
Pa_snoborder's picture

What I don't like is the espn/SEC marriage. They harped and begged for Florida to be overall number 1. Now the _ichigan teams are out. Leaving whiskey. They won't rest til an SEC team is the champion again, so they can preach the SEC is better than the b1G  in basketball like they do in football. 

"No one puts baby in a corner!" - P.Swayze.

Eph97's picture

Wisconsin. Can't stand Calipari and UK. Can't stand Florida. Wisconsin winning will help OSU recruiting, and I like to see different teams win the title.

Can never pull for Michigan in any sport. Glad they lost to UK.

+1 HS
Patriot4098's picture

This whole true enemy garbage is getting old. They're kids competing in a game. They're not a true enemy. Rivals. I find it inherently hard to hate, truly hate a group of kids. Student athletes just because they're from another state or school. Do I dislike them? Yes, but respectfully. I respect any institution of higher learner or young adult that chooses to attend. Hate if you want, but have some perspective please. I choose anything that's good for OSU, B1G comes second. The rest is third, to include wanting to see another team lose. Watching TTUN represent the B1G well is just something I will accept as bittersweet, supposing they ever get to that point.

"Evil shenanigans!"     - Mac

+1 HS
KBonay's picture

You use the terms 'student athlete' and choosing to go to school for 'higher learning'.  That I get.  But coaches like Calpari don't support the Student-Athlete.  He goes for the one & dones.  So I get where you are coming from, but the reality is there are a few kids that are only going to an 'institution of higher learning' because the NBA closed the door on high school to NBA.  Is it right?  Is it wrong?  I can't say, just have my opinion...

Eph97's picture

I don't dislike Calipari for going after one and done's like most people hate him for. If Matta could get the Oden's and Conley's every year, I'd be doing back flips. Remember, those 2 one and done's took OSU the furthest in the tourney since the 1960's.

I dislike Calipari because I think he's a sleazy used car salesperson who's probably buying players through shady backchannels, just like Alabama in football.

ShowThemOhiosHere's picture

I wanted Wisconsin and Sparty to go to the Final Four, but not TTUN. I hate TTUN too much to root for them in anything, even when it may be rational to do so. Plus, two Big Ten teams in the Final Four is still great for the conference. Plus, I'm tired of all the damn Walmart Wolverines in this state that all of a sudden care about the basketball team. Never gave a shit about anything other than football before last year.

Class of 2010.

Nutinpa's picture

To answer the thread's opening question, I would have LOVED to see all 3 teams in the Final 4.  Too bad it didn't happen. 

I guess to those who could not bring themselves to root for that to happen....or if "root" is too strong of a word, if  you resisted the idea, then maybe you can't wait for the football season where the media and the rest of the nations' fanbases will type on their keyboads with glee how the B1G is a weak, joke of a conference.  

I guess, perhaps, some positive press on the Conference was too much for some people to take and they like it better when the conference is trashed. Take heart, I am sure, without even reading them, ESPN and other online media posting boards have plenty of commentary as to how " the B1G choked yesterday just like they do in Bowl games...only this time without Ohio State"....or words similar to that.  Hey, if that's your thing, then you should be happy as to how things turned out yesterday. It's a free forum, after-all.