Ohio State Basketball Forum

Ohio State Basketball Forum

Ohio State men's and women's basketball discussion.

Luke Kennard commits to Duke

halfmile78's picture
March 24, 2014 at 8:04pm
44 Comments

No surprise here. Thad loses out on another top Ohio prospect. This is starting to get old.Mata letting too many get away.

Knarcisi's picture

My patience is running very thin.  

+7 HS
Patriot4098's picture

We all have big expectations. Be patient. There's some young blood on the staff stepping into bigger roles. Thad and company will continue what they started 10 years ago.

"Evil shenanigans!"     - Mac

AlwayzABuckeye614's picture

Yet another one gets away.

+4 HS
Johnny-Shane_Utah-Falco's picture

I don't know if I necessarily place all of the blame on Thad.

It could be his family or father just steered him to Duke, or he just genuinely felt that way. Even if OSU won the NCAA Tournament, the kid could've still chose Duke.

Duke is a traditional school that has a lot of national pull.

I really don't blame Thad solely, I just think a lot of kids like to be "different" and make a choice other than their home state power.

Having said all that ... F Duke, and I hope we play Duke and shut Kennard's ass out.

+5 HS
rbesr's picture

Duke will always get the cream of the crop talent that they want as long as Coach K is there. That might change after he leaves but I'm not holding my breath..

+2 HS
teddyballgame's picture

I wish you would step back from that ledge my friend

+5 HS
Johnny-Shane_Utah-Falco's picture

You could cut ties with all the lies you've been living in

+2 HS
RedStorm45's picture

And, if you do not want to see me again, I would understand.

+3 HS
Silver Bullet 10's picture

Duke is a great basketball school with great academics. We Ohioans feel betrayed, but it is not a bad decision for Kennard.

+2 HS
Knarcisi's picture

I won't blame the kid but I can blame our coaching staff. We didn't even have a shot at him. Ridiculous. 

+4 HS
Knarcisi's picture

Edit ... Double post. 

AlwayzABuckeye614's picture

I think its more of a culture right now, top kids and talent head to the 'top' programs 95% of the time. Luke is no different, and for some reason Ohio State Basketball just isn't 'there' yet. After all the success Thad has had, and by now if kids do not realize OSU could be a top bball school, they wont anytime soon.. 

Buckeye Chuck's picture

"For some reason?" I think I know that reason. Duke: recent national title. Kentucky: recent national title. Buckeyes: recent loss to a #9 seed with a Final Four berth on the line.

Shoot the messenger all you want, but this is where the recent failures to close in March are starting to bite. We're officially B-list again.

The most "loud mouth, disrespect" poster on 11W.

+5 HS
sivaDavis's picture

I won't lie that I'm a little disappointed. But who wouldn't be? Don't you expect to keep homegrown kids IN state? Especially a kid of this caliber? Just saying, I'm happy for the kid but how anyone can be okay with losing top kids that could turn this program is beyond me. Just like in football. You want to keep the best in state. We should hold the same standard for basketball. It's tougher of course with less room but players like Kennard are a must get. Good luck to him though, great coach and great school academically will set him up for the future whether it's in basketball or something else.

"I've had smarter people around me all my life, but I haven't run into one yet that can outwork me. And if they can't outwork you, then smarts aren't going to do them much good." - Woody Hayes

+2 HS
teddyballgame's picture

Did our coaching staff not make an effort to get him or something?  You have to think that sometimes despite your best efforts to land a kid, they still won't pick your school...not the first and won't the last.

+4 HS
Ericgobucks's picture

I don't think we ever really had a great shot anyway. While I am disappointed, this kid was long projected to be favoring UK or Duke. Even Urban misses out sometimes, too, hello Stefon Diggs. I don't blame Matta, I am not sure what he's suppose to do differently if a kid would rather go to Duke. 

+2 HS

"Word up here in Ohio around the Franklin area is that Duke told him to commit or offer withdrawn. Told him to not go on any other official visits. Sad if true. Afraid he may end up in the A-10 @ Dayton. LOL"

Comment from some dude named Mark Haggard on ESPN.com

-1 HS
Deadly Nuts's picture

The stupid thing is that even if he did go on the other visits he would still have an offer from Duke.

LEBRON

Go1Bucks's picture

Maybe Kennard will go on an unofficial and blow Duke off in the end.

(I can wish)

Go Bucks!

Deadly Nuts's picture

I guess he wants to lose to some 14 or 15 seed in the tourney.

LEBRON

+6 HS
buckeyestu's picture

I wish the kid good luck. As much as I hate Duke, Coach K is a great coach and Duke is a top notch university. Pretty hard to beat that combination. At least he did not go to scum and Kentucky.

+3 HS
Raider85's picture

Here is another example of Coach Matta getting the blame where he has no control the kid was sold on Duke it isnt like we didnt offer the kid and try to convince him he should stay home. 

Raider85

+3 HS
d5k's picture

I know people point to Trey Burke and Levert but those were unique circumstances.  Kennard is probably the first real stud recruit out of Ohio that Matta missed on.  Please point to others I may be forgetting about.  It is way too early to throw in the towel on 2015 as we are still not even 100% sure that Mickey Mitchell is decommitting as well as Bragg, Giddens, etc.  2014 class is solid and well rounded.  As long as we get a good big man I will be happy with 2015.  We will have 5 solid perimeter players returning in 2015 assuming there are no 1 and dones.

+3 HS
ToetotheFace's picture

Actually Mickey Mitchell recently confirmed he was still going to OSU despite his brother decomitting (sucks that his brother did considering his potential, but family is more important). Mickey has excellent athleticism and floor vision at SF, the fact that he committed early and was out with an injury probably plays a big role in him not getting as high of a rating as others. There is a reason why he got offers from almost every top school.

Everyone is overreacting (as usual), Matta has been more consistently successful than any OSU basketball coach in history.

+3 HS
gm3jones's picture

So it is a bad thing that we want just ONE more NC? And since it has been 54 years since our last ONE, wouldn't you say that is a drought for a major college basketball program? Wait, I know. Lets all celebrate the 20 win seasons and sweet 16 appereances, maybe ask the NCAA to make a trophy for that? Because as long as we are not the best in the country, I am not satisfied.

There is nothing more remarkable as learning to think better.

Jack Fu's picture

One-and-done tournaments are largely a crapshoot. According to Ken Pomeroy's ratings, OSU was one of the best seven teams in all of college basketball each season from 2010 to 2013. In spite of this, the 2013 team had just a 5.7% chance of cutting down the nets. The 2012 team had just a 19.3% chance of winning it all. The Buckeyes topped out in 2011 when they had what KenPom said was the best team in the country. Their odds of winning that tournament? 21.6%, slightly better than a 1 out of 5 chance. Even when they were the best team in college basketball, they were four times more likely to lose somewhere along the line than they were to win it.

Not winning a national title in ten seasons at a football school is not an indictment of Thad. He took us from the depths of having a Stockman/Fuss-Cheatham starting backcourt and turned us into a perennial sweet sixteen team. Losing a recruit to Duke is not the end of the world. And it's not a reflection on Thad that the kid chose them; they're freakin' Duke. They're probably THE name brand college basketball school (other than Kentucky or maybe - maybe - UNC).

+2 HS
buckeyeboy31's picture

I cut down the nets no matter what the odds are, win or lose. 

Sin,

Tom Crean

+1 HS
buckeyebowhunter's picture

Honestly Duke is a great program and I'm happy for Luke, but the Thad critiques are valid.  His successes as legendary as they have been have in large part been from great recruiting and top notch talent.  I don't believe Thad or his staff have proven they can develop talent at that same level.  At least not at OSU.  I believe the staff has some soul-searching to do.  They need to get back to the basics and starting working with what they have and not be so reliant that they can land a superstar that will carry them.  Honestly Ohio is loaded with talent in 2015 and 2016.  We need to shore up the border.  Also we really need to do a better job of talent evaluation.  Too many Ohio kids leaving Ohio and becoming incredible talents elsewhere.  

+2 HS
edr4225's picture

Kam Williams says dont forget about me, keep your heads up buckeye fans

http://instagram.com/p/l8j6P9lzNB/

lets go bucks!!

+3 HS
theopulas's picture

he may never start at duke......

Theopulas

-1 HS

D'Angelo Russell

Luke Kennard

Mickey Mitchell

Can you even imagine?

halfmile78's picture

I'm sorry people, but you have to place some blame on Thad here. You just don't let a top notch recruit in your back yard get away like this. Its a reoccurring theme here. He keeps this up and pretty soon he is Eldon Miller. He just can't keep letting top notch talent leave the state like this. Not if he wants to survive.

Halfmile78

+3 HS
FormerBuck's picture

Please tell us how Thad "let" him get away.  You all need to back up and take off the scarlet colored glasses.  I'm one of the biggest Ohio State fans there is, and like my name suggests, a former Buckeye athlete, but if I was a basketball player I'd choose Duke over Ohio State as well

+1 HS
Barnsey69's picture

I really can't up-vote your comment, but I understand what you're saying. Duke is to college b-ball, what Alabama is to college football, so hard to compete with that. It will be very interesting to see what happens there when Coach No-Lips K finally retires.

That being said, and I was not a college athlete, if I grew up in Ohio it would be hard for me not to be a Buckeye...period.

Thank the Maker that I was born in Ohio, cradle of coaches, US Presidents, confederate-stomping Generals, and home of The Ohio State University Football Buckeyes!

+1 HS
AndyVance's picture

...and so we're back to the eternal question of how one goes about changing that reality. If even a former Buckeye athlete would choose Duke over his alma mater, what circumstances must exist for Ohio State to finally be one of those so-called "blue bloods" of the sport along with Duke, Kentucky, North Carolina, Syracuse or Kansas? Or hell for that matter, even Michigan State?

The facilities are there. Big Ten titles and tournament championships have been plentiful in the modern era. Winning twenty-plus games a season is now a foregone conclusion. As another poster often remind me, Matta has taken our team to the Sweet 16 and Final Four with stunning regularity during his tenure...

So what is it then? The only piece of the puzzle I see missing is a national title. That, or Matta simply can't make the pitch Coach K or that slime ball Calipari are making...

Barnsey69's picture

Matta is not the problem, and as you point out, everything else is on par with the "blue-blood" programs (facilities, consistent winning, exposure, etc.). So what is it? The National Title must be the missing piece. Coach K is getting these kids to commit selling a proven product, so in theory it should work for OSU. UK and Calipari have the same presentation only difference is the special handshakes. I suppose from an academic standpoint, Duke is considered to be more prestigious, however I would say that is subjective and depends upon the program of study. And I doubt that most 5-stars enter college with the intent of staying 4-years and earning a degree. 

So the mystery continues...

Thank the Maker that I was born in Ohio, cradle of coaches, US Presidents, confederate-stomping Generals, and home of The Ohio State University Football Buckeyes!

chitown buckeye's picture

Even National Titles aren't a guarantee to top recruits or becoming a blue blood. Example, Florida. They won back to back national championship. Bily D was the hottest thing in the basketball coaching world at the time. He had offers for the NBA, etc... It has taken them 5+ yrs to get back into contention for a title. They didn't reload talent after those championships.

"I'm having a heart attack!"

+1 HS
FormerBuck's picture

For me, it comes down to what are you looking for with your decision.  Are you wanting to leave early?  If so, then OSU is not your destination.  That would be Kentucky or Duke.  Are you wanting to graduate and get a real job that pays very well?  If so, then your decision is Duke.  If you want to play for your childhood favorite, then all of us would choose Ohio State.  That is why I chose to be a Buckeye.  I don't know Kennard, but his decision leads me to believe that he wants one of my first two scenarios.  And NONE of us should fault him, or Matta, for that.

+2 HS
Barnsey69's picture

F@#% Duke.

That is all.

+2 HS
SaltyD0gg's picture

Mercer.

Pain of Discipline
Pain of Regret
Take Your Pick

+3 HS
southbay's picture

This is quite a debate we have going here.

I'm reluctant to blame the coaching staff in any one situation, there's no way to know what's going on in a kid's head, what has influenced him throughout his entire life.  Some kids love OSU from a very young age, and some never do.

Still, we've had a mixed bag at best lately.  The incoming class is very good but that's following a couple of very small classes, at least numerically, although I think Loving and Kam will both succeed.

I'm very concerned about the lack of quality big men on this team, Thad and his guys need to go out and find a center and a power forward.

It's disappointing that Kennard is heading south, but he's not what we need most, and at least he's not heading north.

aerobuck's picture

Matta doesn't play a true center and a true power forward.  Four out and one in.  I wish we did have two bigs on the floor at the same time.

halfmile78's picture

Its noble of you all to defend Mata on here, but he is responsible for the current state of the teams roster. When he was first hired we were told he could sell water to a drowning man. Well, what he is selling these kids today, they aren't buying. Payne , Burke, White, Jackson, LaVert, they ain't buying. So were supposed to believe he isn't at fault here? Nice try, but now I'm the one not buying.

Halfmile78

+1 HS
Go1Bucks's picture

I sat and thought about this for a while.  Not sure I get why he would go there, when greater opportunity, especially to start, was elsewhere.  Not that I should waste time thinking about it anymore.

Go Bucks!