Ohio State Basketball Forum

Ohio State Basketball Forum

Ohio State men's and women's basketball discussion.

Share your biggest 2nd round upset pick

Eastside Buckeye's picture
March 17, 2014 at 8:28am
34 Comments

Hey guys, just been breaking down the brackets like any other sports nerd out there, but I was wondering which upset picks you guys are confident in making? For me I have NDSU over Oklahoma and Stephen F. Austin over VCU.. What do you all say?

FROMTHE18's picture

I first thought you were referring to the more realistic version of the '2nd round' rather than what the NCAA has coined for what really is the first round… Ill go with Nebraska over Baylor, no real legit reason other than I like Nebraska's team and Baylor tried to use those stupid Sic Em uni's. 

+1 HS
hetuck's picture

Concur on NDSU.

Winning is a habit. Unfortunately, so is losing.

Vince Lombardi

Oyster's picture

Xavier over St Louis.  You heard it here first.

+2 HS
Chief B1G Dump's picture

I too rolled with that upset in the big money brackets...

Oyster's picture

I won 2 years ago picking a play in team.  It busted everyones bracket and I made so many points early on that nobody could catch back up.

Buckeye Chuck's picture

Haven't really done my bracket yet, but Harvard/Cincinnati looks to have upset potential.

Also, even though the play-in winner is at a disadvantage, I think the winner of Iowa/Tennessee has an excellent shot at getting by Massachusetts. 

The Buckeyes are going to be a popular upset pick, and I can see why -- the typical upset victim in the first game isn't the Top 10-type team; it's the teams that go around .500 in their power conference and get overseeded. North Carolina is vulnerable for the same reason.

The most "loud mouth, disrespect" poster on 11W.

I love the Harvard pick and called it right when I saw it, friends called me crazy

"Life is a course and imma shoot for par." - Dewayne Carter

I_Run_The_Dave's picture

I wouldn't say we are overseeded (I'd make the case for being underseeded), it's more that we are bipolar.  I think we'll get by Dayton.  I'm sure Jordan Sibert played against Craft many times in practice, but that was 2 years ago.  He's not going to be able to get in rhythm.  But we could also lose if we go through another shooting drought.  It really depends on what team shows up.

I also don't think we'd get by Syracuse, but if we shoot decent, we'll beat their zone.  I genuinely feel like we played good enough to win a national championship on Saturday, but got beat on ridiculous shooting that no team can sustain.  If scUM had shot against us the way they shot against MSU, we win by like 15 points, and don't tell me MSU has a better defense (we did wear them down, so that could be part of it too).

What our tournament fate depends on is whether we can duplicate the game we had against scUM, and if so, how many games can we sustain it?

+3 HS
I_Run_The_Dave's picture

I've actually got Iowa winning their first two games (3 games?) to get to the sweet 16.  If they play Stanford Football™ it will happen.  But they'll probably lose in the play-in round and that will be the first of many catastrophic hits to my bracket.

+4 HS
TMac's picture

I like Iowa over UMass too

+1 HS
BROSEPH's picture

Just take the winner of that play in game over UMass.  Models/computers realllly like Tennessee as well.  The way UT plays defense, they would probably be favored over UMass.

bethmowins's picture

Wichita State exiting early by Kentucky.

+2 HS
ShowThemOhiosHere's picture

TTUN losing to Wofford...just kidding, had to make something up since OP took my two biggest upset picks.

Class of 2010.

Knarcisi's picture

scUM is very familiar with upsets from that conference.  Upvote for the first one to tell me who.

TheShookster's picture

Appalachian State right?

+1 HS
Knarcisi's picture

Upcote for you, my friend. 

Mortc15's picture

There are 3 teams this year that have had problems scoring the basketball that I've seen a few times: OSU, Cincy, Cuse. I don't think Cuse will get beat first game though. Although UD definitely worries as an OSU fan, I think Harvard beating Cincy is a realistic upset. I also think the NC state/ Xavier winner could knock off St Louis. 

Buck-I4Life

JakeBuckeye's picture

Anything from a 12 seed or lower isn't really a crazy upset anymore in the NCAA Tournament. I expect a few of those. I do think (14) WMU has a good shot against (3) Syracuse.

Knarcisi's picture

NDSU over Oklahoma, and also Harvard over Cincinnati.

+1 HS
Knarcisi's picture

Well, got these right. Wish I wasn't wrong on our game. 

Seattle Linga's picture

I would ask you if your billion dollar bracket was still intact but I believe you happened to watch the first game today.

route4buckeye's picture

Xavier over St. Louis

Iowa over UMass

NDSU over Oklahoma

Nebraska over Baylor and Creighton

ITWASME's picture

NC Central over Iowa State just have a feeling

RunEddieRun1983's picture

I watched VCU against SJ yesterday, Joe's is a good team, they're fundamentally sound, and I saw what I felt was VCU playing in preservation mode as to say they knew they were in and didn't want to blow themselves up to win the A-10.  Smart knows what he is doing, I have them getting out of the first.  Don't sleep on Oklahoma either they're a good ball club, they've beat some teams...

My first round upsets:  Stanfod over New Mexico, St. Joes over UConn, AZ state over Texas, Nebraska over Baylor, and please folks, don't go over the wall on the downvotes but I do have the Flyers of UD over Ohio State.  UD is just a nightmare matchup for OSU, I love the buckeyes, but am not a huge Basketball fan, I love them for football, basketball I admit fully I am a casual fan.  UD is my hometown team, and I have to take the flyers.  But may the best team win!

I don't always downvote, but I do always downvote a Michigan fan trolling the Buckeye boards.

TheShookster's picture

Just curious as to why UD is a nightmare matchup...besides the whole in state rivalry thing and the chip on their shoulder?

+1 HS

I'm with you... I mean put Craft in Sibert and tell him to shut Jordan down, and then you need a nice defensive game from Sam on Oliver and their offense will suffer. Amir on offense must be a presence because we are so much bigger than them, we need to rebound cause they are very good at rebounding for being a small team.

"Life is a course and imma shoot for par." - Dewayne Carter

Mortc15's picture

I know on paper it looks like OSU will be fine but motivation works magic sometimes. Add in the fact that OSU (at least seemingly) doesnt want to schedule most of the Ohio schools and UD coaches have material to get their players fired up for the game. On paper, it's not a nightmare, but games arent played on paper.

Buck-I4Life

EvanstonBuckeye's picture

Iowa/Tennessee winner over UMass.

+1 HS
Urban_Can_Recruit's picture

Seed wise its SF Austin over VCU and ND State over Oklahoma 

+1 HS
nburns18's picture

Western Michigan over Syracuse. Manhattan over Louisville. Look out for Harvard and Xavier as well

"You win with people." -Woody Hayes

daveyt11's picture

Agree on WMU...I attended the Toledo - WMU game in CLE Saturday...they put up 98 on a decent Toledo team..I commented to my brother that I hope they don't put OSU against them in the first round..could be a second rounder.

hawkins.326's picture

That Brown kid (and the rest of the team, really) killed Toledo. If they can shoot that well again, shooting over the Cuse zone, they can definitely pull the upset.

Seattle Linga's picture

I'm out................. my bracket is predicted to be broken by the time the 2nd round is here 

dc28's picture

Okie St over Arizona