Ohio State Basketball Forum

Ohio State Basketball Forum

Ohio State men's and women's basketball discussion.

How many times has Aaron Craft fouled out?

Deadly Nuts's picture
March 10, 2014 at 3:43pm
27 Comments

I can only remember him fouling out in a few games, 2011 @Kansas, the Elite 8 vs. Syracuse, last year @Duke, last year vs. Indiana and this year vs. Iowa. Pretty impressive if you ask me. He gets all those steals and is rarely fouls out, I agree with the haters, he usually does get the benefit of the doubt with the refs but that does not just happen to anybody. AC has pretty much earned it. Remember? He led the B1G in steals in his freshman year when the refs knew little about him and that reputation of him being the "Man of Steal" has carried over to today's game. So all the other B1G fans that want to talk shit about Craft should also let their PG from the 2010-2011 season know that he should have protected the ball against the Buckeyes. 

Mortc15's picture

"Haters" that say Craft is never called for fouls and gets away with everything needs to watch yesterday's game again and focus on Adreian Payne. He was never called for ANYTHING all game. I was in total disbelief that they called a block on him (which it probably shouldn't have been) when Thompson soared. Payne got away with travels and shoves and everything ALL game long.

They can say whatever the hell they want about Craft getting away with stuff but he is by no means the only player who gets away with calls.

Buck-I4Life

+4 HS
brandonbauer87's picture

I resent being called a Craft hater just because I argue he gets the benefit of the doubt. One statement doesn't make the other true. The way he plays defense is mental and physical. He's a great defender when the refs are calling touch fouls. What separates him is knowing how much he can get away with without having a foul called. That's what makes him elite. 

+2 HS
tennbuckeye19's picture

Totally agree. I would say that most top players generally get the benefit of the doubt on calls.

To say that Craft never fouls or that he doesn't get away with fouling is silly. He does. But, as you said, he's smart enough to play his game within the confines of how it's being called.

Knowing what you can and cannot get away with is pretty important. And I would say that in the ref's eyes, they know how he plays and Craft has earned their respect enough to get the benefit of the doubt.

+2 HS
brandonbauer87's picture

There's also something to be said of committing a foul while in good defensive position. You're much less likely to get called for a reach when you're in front of your guy as opposed to reaching from behind. 

If you pay close attention, you'll notice Craft feeling out the officials early in the game. A lot of times he gets an early foul in the process. He doesn't wait until the second half to see if they're calling every hand check. Craft plays defense like officials are supposed to call a game. He sets the tone early and stays in that mindset for 40 minutes. This could turn into a love fest if I bring up all of the smart and fundamental things he does so well. I should just stop here...for now. 

+3 HS
Daddypete's picture

Doesn't hurt that he is crazy smart.

"Stand and Deliver!"

Seattle Linga's picture

He's going to go to medical school.

buckeye4life050233's picture

I have been more frustrated with the fouls that Amir gets when he is straight up in the air and there is little to no contact.  Sad to say but we need him out on the floor to provide a discouragement for teams to drive to the rim and more often than not we are forced to have McDonald out there bc Amir picked up 2 stupid fouls and is on the bench in the first half way to early

brandonbauer87's picture

Amir is the whipping boy of B1G officials. I think the expression on his face of permanent confusion makes them blow the whistle. I think he's called for every foul Craft gets away with. I think it's a big reason why he hasn't really blossomed. He can never get into a rhythm because he's constantly getting BS fouls. He also a little too aggressive/late in help defense.  

+3 HS
TUNBUCK89's picture

I know he has high aspirations, but, if he wanted to --- he could be a GREAT coach some day

M MAN approves this statement.

Johnny-Shane_Utah-Falco's picture

Aaron Craft is by far the best on-ball defender I've witnessed in my 30 years of watching college basketball.

He is SUPERB at playing "glove" defense withOUT fouling.

Why? Just watch his feet.

For all of the Craft whiners out there (opposing team fans), if you think Craft gets away with fouling all the time, then you don't know basketball.

Do yourself a favor next OSU game --- and just watch his feet, and his hips. He is so fundamentally and technically sound, it's ridiculous.

He constantly moves his feet, has tremendous lateral quickness, and great balance. The key to playing tight defense without fouling is to keep the feet moving without getting handsy...and man, Aaron does that sooo well. Textbook.

He is a coach's dream. He is one of the few guys who listens to everything the coaches say about fundamentals.

I know he has high aspirations, but, if he wanted to --- he could be a GREAT coach some day

It's also kind of --- I don't know, lazy? or racist? or just inaccurate? --- to say he's not a great athlete, but just a "hard working, overachiever."  You know, the typical white guy basketball cliches that commentators throw out there.  "Well, he may not have as much athletic ability as the other guys out there...but he's got more heart and work ethic", etc..

I mean, sure -- he's a hard worker and has a big heart --- but I don't think he gets enough credit athletically.

Trust me, you can't not be a great athlete with that quickness. I would love to see him run the short shuttle at the NFL Combine. I think it'd be a sub-4 number.

I truly believe he could be a starting safety at the D1 level in college football. He has above adequate speed and elite quickness and has the "quick twitch" athletic gift. Quick hips too. You know he'd be a ball hawk out there. Heck, if he concentrated on just football coming out of high school.....I think he could have definitely helped that OSU defensive backfield.

If I were running an NBA team, I would without a doubt give this guy a shot ---- maybe in the 2nd round. I know his shot needs improvement. But, the rest of him...coach's dream. Quick feet and hips. Intangibles too long to list. Leadership. Hard worker. Hates to lose. And, why not draft the best on-ball defender of the past couple decades. Definitely worth the investment.

+4 HS
brandonbauer87's picture

A perfect example of that quickness is the last shot Sparty took yesterday. He basically FELL DOWN and still got a hand in the face of the shooter. The last five minutes of that game showcased Craft's best attributes. 

+4 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

I am the best defender you've ever seen - no one can beat me one-on-one.

+1 HS
RedStorm45's picture

As Titus said on Twitter - Did the refs just get together four years ago and say, "Hey we're going to give this guy all the calls."???  I mean come on.

+2 HS
mrspray's picture

I love that Titus defended that statement by saying something along the lines of "I'm by no means a Craft lover". 

Dan Dakich (who seems a bit biased to most) defends Craft by saying that his footwork is better than that of other players. If you're quick, you don't have to put your hands in the way to make a mess for the other player.

+1 HS
ODEEZ330's picture

Greatest pg in osu history imo. My all time osu team craft starts the 1. Probably my favorite buckeye baller ever

O'Deez330
stark county football

+1 HS
RedStorm45's picture

Conley over Craft.

Deadly Nuts's picture

You gotta stay at least two years....

LEBRON

Knarcisi's picture

How many times did Adrien Payne travel yesterday?

+2 HS
Daddypete's picture

Not sure I can count that high.

"Stand and Deliver!"

+2 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

How much time you got?

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Please don't forget the VIP club.

+1 HS
Go1Bucks's picture

Enough to earn a first class flight in frequent traveller miles.  Had checked luggage and a carryon, even.

Go Bucks!

+1 HS
TUNBUCK89's picture

Enough to reach East Lansing .......WALKING !!!

+1 HS
Squirrel Master's picture

I just have one thing to say about this. The "haters" said before this year that craft hand checked and fouled all the time. They say he gets all the benefit even though he is fouling guys left and right.
Then they change the hand check rules so you can't anymore. They change the block/charge rule because of him last year in the tourney.
So either the refs blindly love him that they ignore him hand checking still or the "haters" just got Lawyered! Change the rules and he still is the best on ball defender in the sport. What they going to do now, say he should get fouls because his red checks blind the opponent making it unfair?

I saw a UFO once.......it told me to have a goodyear!

+2 HS
OldColumbusTown's picture

It's all about the use of hands, or lack thereof, for Craft. He uses his feet and chest, and if needed he'll use his upper arms. You NEVER see Craft put his hands on his opponent.

By far, he has the best feet and positioning of any on-ball defender I've ever seen.

+2 HS
luckynutz's picture

Officiating is such a subjective topic to begin with. And honestly, they could call a foul on every possession if they felt so inclined. Because there is always contact. What it comes down to is body and hand position and movement.

Take post play for instance...I know from experience what the line is as far as contact down low. I never played collge ball...because I was a 6'5 center. Not many of those in the game right? But I prided myself on my defense. I learns what my limits were with establishing position, shot blocking and rebounding. What I was told was as soon as you sweat at the ball, they will call it every time. And if they see you put your forearm in someones back while jockeying for position, they'll ring you up. And if you reach over top of a guy rebounding, same deal. So you get creative and use whatever means necessary to get away with it.

Craft is so solid in his fundamentals...the way he moves his feet, positions his hands and retains his base while moving side to side. He doesn't lunge, grab or slap. He stays wide, keeps his hands up and uses the offensive players momentum against them. You get a piece of the ball with your hands in the right spot, it will come out. His hands are always active, and so are his feet. Look at the steal he set the record with. He used the ball handlers momentum against him. Stayed low, keep the hands in perfect position, got a piece without slapping down and let momentum create the turnover from there.

Does he foul? Sure...everyone does. One needs to look no further than the way michael jordan all but threw Bryon Russell off him to hit the game winner in the 98 finals to see that in key moments refs will swallow the whistle. It all comes down to knowing what the refs are willing to allow in terms of contact. And thats what he does best...feels out the level of contact thats permissible and stays within those parameters from beginning to end. Some of the games best defenders get by simply by knowing how to foul without fouling.

+1 HS
SaltyD0gg's picture

Ok, ok, this has been bugging me an I just can't take it anymore. I HATE that every one has to qualify his as an outstanding ON BALL defender. Yes, I understand why it's said, but it just bugs me. The kid is a ridiculous defender, period. No qualification needed. Watch him when he's not on the ball and his guy is miserable. Inbounds, miserable. Help-D, miserable. Granted he's not blocking shots at the rim. But there's no single player in OSU history I'd take on D before Craft. For as good as he was, Oden didn't change a game as dramatically as Craft does.

You can see it happen. It's as if Craft can decide when he wants the turn over to happen and he just wills it to happen. We may never see another one like him. Special, special kid.

Pain of Discipline
Pain of Regret
Take Your Pick

+1 HS