Ohio State Basketball Forum

Ohio State Basketball Forum

Ohio State men's and women's basketball discussion.

Buckeyes Basketball Next Year

c92996p's picture
February 25, 2014 at 2:46pm
34 Comments

Looking ahead to next year (yes, I know this season isn't over yet and I'm already thinking ahead) how do you think the Buckeyes will fair on the court?

We know Shannon Scott will be a solid, athletic Point Guard next year.

We return talented wings in Q, Sam Thompson, and Marc Loving.  We also welcome 2 more wings in Jae'Sean Tate and Keita Bates-Diop.

We will have sharp shooting Kam Williams and D'Angelo Russell added into the mix as well.

Amir Williams has played much better as of late and has actually been somewhat physical in the paint.  Trey McDonald is a serviceable backup if for no other reason than the fact that he hustles.

Do we have a serious shot at contention for the Big Ten crown next year?

Mizzillion's picture

I've been assuming Q would leave for the NBA (or try), but you may be right.  He could be back next year.  If so, we'll definitely compete for the B1G crown. The team should be improved.

+2 HS
MikeEagleBuckeye's picture

Seems like a pretty solid lineup for next year.  I think Russell has a legitimate shot at the starting rotation and I think it would be a wise career decision for Q to come back for one more year.  It will be nice to have some shooters in Williams and Russell and hopefully Shannon works on his jumpshot in the offseason.  Does anybody think there's a chance Myles Turner chooses the Buckeyes?

JakeBuckeye's picture

If anything, Q should look at a guy like Deshaun Thomas, who left after his junior season and has seen zero serious time on an NBA squad so far.

+2 HS
IGotAWoody's picture

Deshaun actually was picked up by the Spurs, and is playing over in Europe. He's doing well there, seeing the sites and making good $. And his future chances at making the Spurs are pretty promising, especially the way that organization maximizes a player's talents.

But you're right, Q's situation is different (as far as I know, doesn't have a kid to support), and he should definitely stay. Unless, of course, he goes off in the tournament and leads the Bucks to the Final Four.

- License to kill gophers (wolverines, badgers, etc) by the government of the United Nations

kevdale86's picture

I'm pretty sure Q has a daughter.

+1 HS
tennbuckeye19's picture

My opinion on Turner is that he ends up at Kansas, especially if Joel Embiid goes pro (which most believe he will). If not Kansas, I could see him choosing Texas, to follow in his favorite player, Kevin Durant's footsteps. 

mh277907's picture

My guess is that Russell starts. Scott at point, Russell at 2, Thompson at 3, Ross at 4 (in one of the deepest drafts in a very long time, it would be stupid, IMO, for Q to leave early) and Williams at 5. Loving and KBD first off the bench. Should be an improved team that could be very good if Q stays and the freshman live up to the hype. Also, should be a much more polished offensive team.

buckeyebobcat

+1 HS
IGotAWoody's picture

Although they will very likely take a few steps backwards on the defensive side of the ball. But yeah, that lineup should be able to score some points!

- License to kill gophers (wolverines, badgers, etc) by the government of the United Nations

Squirrel Master's picture

I actually would prefer seeing Ross move back to a more natural 3 spot and start KBD at the 4. KBD will be a longer taller 4 who will do pretty much the same but with more defense. It would be hard to get him in though with Sam and Q as the returning starters but I think he is the kind of talent you don't keep on the bench.

I can see it like this, starters first

PG - Scott, Russell

SG - Russell, Kam/Tate (not sure who would be the primary back up)

SF- Ross, Sam, Amadeo

PF - KBD, Ross, Loving

C - Amir, Trey, Bell (although I think Bell could be the better backup if he isn't too raw)

The starting lineup of Scott, Russell, Ross, KBD, Amir would be athletic with offensive firepower and size. Throw in steals by Scott and blocking from KBD and Amir, this might be the most complete team Matta has had in a long time.

I saw a UFO once.......it told me to have a goodyear!

+2 HS
UrbanCulture's picture

Tough to see loving sitting at third string power forward :(

+1 HS
mrspray's picture

I still have a lingering hope that somehow they pickup Myles Turner, and then you have a huge paint presence that would give some shooters an opportunity to shoot.

I'm definitely excited to what D'Angelo Russell can bring to the table - looks like this will be a much better shooting team overall next year.

+1 HS
BrooklynBuckeye's picture

Keita Bates-Diop is an NBA-caliber stretch four. If Q leaves, he'll definitely start. He may find a way to start anyway.

+2 HS
Egger33's picture

I agree that if anyone with any sense is advising Ross, then he will be back.  Going on that assumption and also assuming Turner will not pick the Buckeyes I think this is your main rotation next year.  If Turner were to pick OSU then we would be on a whole different level and most likely a top 5 team pre season.

Scott, Russell, Thompson, Ross, Amir will be your starters.  I really think Russell's shooting and basketball IQ will allow him to be a starter from the beginning.

Bates-Diop and Loving will be the 1st off the bench for the forwards, and Trey at C.   ADV and Williams I think will be the key.  They are going to have to give some productive minutes at the guard spots to give Scott and Russell some bench time.  Tate is a wild card right now with the shoulder surgery, if he proves to be healthy I think he could get whatever minutes are left at the SF spot.  Bell most likely will redshirt.

+2 HS
Poison nuts's picture

My opinion, next year looks pretty damn bright!

"Death created time to grow the things that it would kill" - Detective Rustin Cohle.

+1 HS
mrspray's picture

As terrible as this season has felt at times, I have to remind myself that if this is a bad year for this team, then that's pretty good over the long haul. I can also look to another really solid recruiting class next year and know they'll have a good chance to be even better next year - a very different team, but could certainly be better.

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

This truly is a down year for us - isn't it nice to know that this is our kind of town year. Most teams would love to have our kind of down year.

Deadly Nuts's picture

Tate is the new Sam Thompson.

LEBRON

BrooklynBuckeye's picture

…and Sam Thompson is the new David Thompson (if he puts up 44 against PSU on Thursday). 

+1 HS
BHT's picture

I think the Buckeyes have always had the mentality: defense comes first. Next year we have scorers coming in and I am not worried about our defense being good next year. It will be a great defense. This bodes very well for a conference championship and a return to the final four. If we get Turner, we can (and probably will) get to the NCAA tournament national championship game. I am optimistic that even if Ross goes to the NBA, next year will be like 2010-2011 were we went 34-3. It will also be like the following year (in making the final four).

Deadly Nuts's picture

Aren't we in a round robin with Kentucky, UNC and UCLA next year?

LEBRON

+1 HS
Daddypete's picture

I am always apprehensive about "counting on" freshman to really deliver. Not that they won't show flashes of brilliance, but I am always reminded of what one of my favorite coaches, Al Mcguire, used to say. "The best thing about freshman is they become sophomores." I remember watching Jon Diebler and DeShawn Thomas as freshman. Good players but took a lot of bad shots. It was fun to watch them improve. Hopefully, we will get to do that with this group.

"Stand and Deliver!"

Seattle Linga's picture

It's going to be a fun ride and an upgrade from this year

MikeEagleBuckeye's picture

Any chance that Tate may redshirt his first year with the recent injury or is he expected to make a recovery in time?

+1 HS
OSU_ALUM_05's picture

Is this an article about college basketball?

Oh, ok.... .then Tom Crean is a douche.

+1 HS
Toilrt Paper's picture

The Freshmen who play the best D will see the most playing time. Don't forget combo guard Cam Williams, who is redshirting this year.

+1 HS
Mizzillion's picture

Agree.  Thad is reluctant to play young players who he doesn't trust on D.  The foundation of his system is solid D.

southbay's picture

If Bell redshirts, the Buckeyes are still thin on the front line.  Getting out rebounded fairly consistently this year.  Also, it might be good if Bell got some playing time next year as Amir and Trey won't be back the following year.

+1 HS
Mortc15's picture

I just do not think AW is any good at all. If the Bucks don't get Turner, I still think they're going to have trouble. They wont be anywhere near as bad offensively, assuming Matta lets the freshman play if they're up to par but without an adequate big man, the chances of a solid tourney run are slim and the Bucks don't have that right now.

Buck-I4Life

+1 HS
southbay's picture

Matta and his staff really need to find a good true center, I'm not sure the Buckeyes have really had that since Oden.  It's time.

wademccoy's picture

Is the Mitchell kid going to play here?

wademccoy's picture

Why did Jimmy Jacksons kid go to Wisconsin ????? 

mrspray's picture

Look who else recruited him: http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/6717...

Seems like an easy choice, given the circumstances.

ghalephoto's picture

Why's are easy.  Why isn't White from Iowa (from Ohio) playing for us?  Offered way late and never felt the love.  Why isn't A. Payne MSU, from Dayton playing for us...offered late? not at all?  you put those 2 kids on this team and we are a top 10 and BigTen Challenger.  Its such a crap shoot in recruiting but both White and Payne wanted to be Buckeyes....ouch!!

+1 HS
wademccoy's picture

WOW !!!!! I did not know that about those players not coming here. Now Mr. basketball from Gahanna is going to MSU ??????????????? MSU coach was at his game against Upper Arlington this week in Columbus.