Ohio State Athletics Forum

Ohio State Athletics Forum

Ohio State hockey, baseball, wrestling, track, and other athletics fan talk.

Sometimes, as I wallow in the reflecting glory...

+12 HS
iowabuckeyes's picture
May 26, 2017 at 10:29pm
11 Comments

...of being an Ohio State fan, I can't help but wonder what it must be like to be a high school football player getting an offer from the Buckeyes. You've picked up a few, maybe from UC or UK or BC or ASU or Mizzou or Wisconsin or UNC and people in your community and kids at your school are keeping tabs and then Wham! suddenly, it's serious. Ohio State's offered! Urban F'ing Meyer! 

For a high school football player, it must be like your school's valedictorian getting accepted to Harvard or Yale. And as the football season progresses, opposing teams' fans who follow college recruiting are talking about you and pointing you out from the stands and saying, "He's got an offer from Ohio State...Urban Meyer was at his school" as if you'd just had a tete 'a tete about world peace with the Pope on your front porch. Mizzou, UC, UK, and all Stewart Mandel's Baron, Knight and Peasant schools don't have anywhere near the allure. An Ohio State offer means you've arrived, that your hard work and God-given talent have been recognized and rewarded.

This post has no point other than I'm a few beers in on a Friday night on a weekend when I'm feeling especially grateful to be an American and thinking about those who served and fought and gave their all and as long as I'm feeling sentimental, also appreciating my good fortune of being a Buckeye fan. This is the golden age of Ohio State football and I'm planning to enjoy riding this wave for as long as it lasts.

Happy Memorial Day weekend, everyone, and especially our vets. Thank you for your service and God bless America. Let freedom ring!

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 11 Comments