Ohio State Athletics Forum

Ohio State Athletics Forum

Ohio State hockey, baseball, wrestling, track, and other athletics discussion.

Would you rather...?

SwnsnGody's picture
July 28, 2014 at 3:56pm
32 Comments

Would you rather watch:

- OSU men's basketball team take on *ichigan in a sold out St. Johns arena (with B1G regular season title on the line)

OR

- an 8 PM kickoff for The Game in the shoe?

Would like to hear other OSU 'would you rathers', too.

jeremytwoface's picture

Who are they playing in The Shoe? What is the weather like?

The first man gets the ((((Oyster)))), the second man gets the shell.

-1 HS
Killer nuts's picture

The Game typically refers to playing Michigan

+9 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

Ha! Damn... I totally missed that. 

I read it as "an 8pm kickoff for game in The Shoe....

In that case, I'll take The Shoe. Hands down.

The first man gets the ((((Oyster)))), the second man gets the shell.

+6 HS
brandonbauer87's picture

What about The Game in A shoe?  

+1 HS
BuckeyeNationforLife's picture

Who's shoe? What is the history of usage with it?

brandonbauer87's picture

It's pretty old, and doesn't smell very good. It's pretty similar to The Big House. 

+2 HS
Earle's picture

Plus, there's that old woman and all her kids to deal with.

Italics are for emphasis.

SwnsnGody's picture

*ichigan.  30 degrees and light snow

"We determine when the team taps out" - Urban Meyer

OSUpawn's picture

Since it's your first day, let me tell you about "The Game"......

I believe the SEC players put their pants on one leg at a time like we do.

+4 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Chuckle Chuckle Pawn

+1 HS
Killer nuts's picture

I'd go with St Johns. I like the 3:30 kickoff against Michigan, it leaves more time in the evening to celebrate the win

+1 HS
Terry Porter's picture

An 8 PM "The Game" in the 'Shoe (barring an Evan Turner-esque buzzer beater against TTUN at St. Johns)

1942, 1954, 1957, 1961, 1968, 1970, 2002, and counting.

+2 HS
Optimistic Buckeye Pessimist's picture

Watching a game at St Johns would be nostalgic.

Read my entire screen name....

+1 HS
Jeeves's picture

St.John's against Indiana with the B1G on the line. Michigan isn't our basketball rival. The Game must be played in the sunshine or under a gray November sky.

+3 HS
InTressITrust's picture

St. John game, but I am the weirdo that prefers noon games all year.

"I'm not going to lie. We're anxious to be a part of a matchup like that. It's two states that love the game of football." -Jim Tressel

+1 HS
leezy531's picture

Im just curious as to why you prefer noon games over night games.

+1 HS
InTressITrust's picture

A few reasons:

1. I am the type of person that gets really nervous before games.  Early games allow me to relax the rest of the day.
  2. My favorite schedule for game days is: Wake up around 6 to tailgate, go to the game, nap during the 3:30 game, go out at night.  With night games I am tired from tailgating all day. 

"I'm not going to lie. We're anxious to be a part of a matchup like that. It's two states that love the game of football." -Jim Tressel

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Me too Tressel - I prefer nooners as well.

Gametime's picture

IMHO, the 2006 edition of The Game was THE best hands down. The Game is disrespected by a noon kick off, B1G tradition be damned. The Game deserves to be a Prime-Time event with the eyes of the nation gazing at the greatest rivalry in all of sports.

Give me 8PM in the Shoe all day, every day.

...I too dream in color and in rhyme
So I guess I'm one of a kind in a full house
Cause whenever I open my heart, my soul or my mouth
A touch of God rains out...

+5 HS
Buckeye in Illini country's picture

The 2006 edition was a 3:30 kickoff; just ended at night.  It was awesome though.  But at the same time, the 2012 version was also kickass, despite a noon kickoff.

Columbus to Pasadena: 35 hours.  We're on a road trip through the desert looking for strippers and cocaine... and Rose Bowl wins!

+1 HS
whiskeyjuice's picture

I will always remember that game as I just moved from C-Bus to Milwaukee (for a job) and I was able to make several friends by the time "The Game" came around. I had like 11 or 12 friends got to the bar with me to watch #1 vs #2 and the best part was that they were willing to wear OSU clothing (I have tons of shirts/jerseys and buckeye necklaces). Milwaukee is basically neutral to the rivalry and Wisconsin either didn't play that weekend or played at a different time slot as the bar was not filled with Badger fans. It was a nice feeling to see the rest of the bar in awe of what looked like a Buckeye takeover!!

"Championships are not won on Saturdays in November. Championships are won on Tuesdays in August." -- Kerry Combs

+1 HS
HouseHarleyBuilt's picture

The only problem I have with 8pm games is my impatience. Noon games are also an excuse to crack open a cold one much earlier in the day.

+1 HS
What Would Troy Smith Do's picture

Oh man, I read the headline and thought this might be a post your toughest/ultimate would you rather questions.  I was all geared up to fire off my ultimate.  Oh well.....

Guess I'd go with the THE GAME.  And while it would undoubtedly be cool at 8pm it would feel very weird indeed.

MikeTheBuckeye's picture

Is this even a question? We're a football school. I could never turn down an opportunity to attend a night game in The Shoe. Especially if it means I get to watch *ichigan get hammered. Again.

roamingbuckeye's picture

8pm kickoff in The Shoe in November?? Ugh. I'd vote St John's for sure.  But i might be an outlier in liking a 3:30 kickoff for The Game - it makes it a whole day event with still time for food/beers afterwards and it still basically feels like a night game because by that time of year its getting dark by 4:30 amyway.

"I just cant wait to play football." -UFM

Buckeye in Illini country's picture

I am 100% with you.  I've been to one basketball game in St. John Arena (NIT against Cal), and it was awesome.  3:30 game in the Shoe in late November is perfect.

Columbus to Pasadena: 35 hours.  We're on a road trip through the desert looking for strippers and cocaine... and Rose Bowl wins!

brandonbauer87's picture

I need more info about this particular version of The Game. Is Michigan any good in this unrealistic scenario?

rosycheeks's picture

Since it's an unrealistic scenario, wouldn't the answer have to be yes?

+2 HS
brandonbauer87's picture

Unrealistically, Jim Harbaugh and Les Miles could be co-coaches. 

+2 HS
SHAWNEE_FOREST_BUCKEYE's picture

I don't want OSU vs UM at night. Therefore give me St. John Arena.

e135800's picture

Michigan game in St. Johns.  There's a reason there are no 8:00 games in late November

Seattle Linga's picture

I'd go with 8 pm kickoff primarily because I have never been to THE GAME in person. A close friend of mine rushed the field when we we beat them 42-39 just a few years ago.