Ohio State Athletics Forum

Ohio State Athletics Forum

Ohio State hockey, baseball, wrestling, track, and other athletics discussion.

Wish list non-conference schedules

Johnny-Shane_Utah-Falco's picture
March 24, 2014 at 11:33pm
48 Comments

I would love to see the 2 major sports non-conference schedules stepped up in competition.

I know these aren't realistic, but here would be my dream non-conference schedules for football (4) and basketball (5).

Football:

• Alabama, Florida, Oregon, Pittsburgh

Basketball:

• Dayton, Duke, Kansas, Kentucky, Syracuse

I know that the football team only plays 1 or 2 "power" (BCS/AQ) non-conference teams a year. The basketball team only plays 3-4 non-conference BCS schools a year. But, if you could pick 4 power teams for the football schedule and 5 power teams for the basketball schedule, who would they be?

saltybuck61's picture

I don't know if scheduling four difficult out of conference foes would be a good idea. I know that they aren't all strong teams, specifically Pittsburgh. However, if they lose two of those games (which is not unfeasible because they are most likely going to be back to back), then they are out of contention for the title. If Ohio State were to play one strong out of conference team, I would like to see USC again, or Florida, like you said. Making any SEC team come up North relatively late in the year would be ideal.

+1 HS
Knarcisi's picture

We have Oregon on the schedule for football. 

We've played Pitt before. Joke, and a no win for us. 

SEC teams won't come north. 

+2 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Dayton in Basketball only to shut the skeptics up.

Buckeyevstheworld's picture

It won't. Just like beating Cincy the last two meetings hasn't shut them up.

"OHIO STATE HAD STACKED TEAMS, SO IT DUN COUNT!!!!!!!!"

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+1 HS
gm3jones's picture

Exactly. When we win, we are "supposed" to win. If we lose, "See those "major" colleges cant beat a small school!". Why I agree that playing them has no benefit to us.

There is nothing more remarkable as learning to think better.

Catch 5's picture

"SEC teams won't come north"

1. Alabama just went North a couple years ago and beat Penn State in Happy Valley.
2. What does it matter? The B10 doesn't play OOC teams after the first month of the season anyway. Not like the weather is going to be very cold the anyway.

Make their asses quit! - Nick Saban

+1 HS
BEREABUCKEYE's picture

So in the 56 OOC games played by SEC teams each of the last 2 years and the 48 or so every year for the 2 decades before that, your response is bama went north a few years ago? That's weak. It's well documented how little SEC teams travel outside of their footprint and play true road games.

+1 HS
Mortc15's picture

Agreed. Bama has that OOC game before Auburn every year. Even if a Big Ten team scheduled OOC games that late, there's absolutely no way Bama would agree to a game up north then. The argument that SEC teams dont come north when it's cold would be validated, it just wont happen because the Big Ten doesnt OOC then.

Buck-I4Life

+1 HS
Catch 5's picture

how little SEC teams travel outside of their footprint and play true road games

Ah, so a neutral site game within the "footprint of the conference" is not a true test of a team?  Nor is a true road game against Clemson, FSU, Ga Tech, Louisville, etc?  Sorry, but I tend to think that the opener against Michigan a couple years ago was a valad test, as were the Chic fil A games against Clemson, and Virginia Tech (twice) - and that's just Alabama.

Just this year, Arkansas is traveling to Texas Tech, Auburn to Kansas State, Mizzouri to lowly Toledo, and Tennessee to Oklahoma.  Since the SEC shares its footprint with the ACC, B12 and whatever the heck we call the Beast now, we can't count games against Ga Tech, FSU, Clemson, Louisville, Memphis (among others) and we can't count the neutral site games against Wisconsin, Michigan, Arizona, West Virginia, etc. that the SEC does do a good job of scheduling.

Hey, I'd like to see more cross-country games - though a quick glance at future schedules produces home and homes with UCLA, Oregon, Arizona State, and an interesting neutral-neutral with Wisconsin (Arlington-Green Bay) - but to imply it doesn't happen at all is to be ignorant of both recent and future games.

wilkins0802's picture

We're not talking about neutral site games. We're talking about OOC games that take place up North. Like if Florida cam to The Shoe in November, or the Big House to play games. No matter how good the team is, going from a moderately hot or warm climate to the brutal cold of Ohio, Michigan, or Iowa during the winter months would effect any team that is not used to it. They're simply stating these schools, even if they were to be scheduled would simply not do it for the fact of the weather. Come talk to me when we see Bama, Florida, LSU, or Auburn go play in the snow Ohio State, or any of the Northern teams regularly play in each year.

Good on Mizzou heading to Toledo, and all the other teams heading to colder climates, but either way the B1G won't schedule these, so I guess we will never know how willing some teams are to travel, but I still think we will never see Bama, or others like them in the Northern states when it counts.

Catch 5's picture

The one glaring hole in your argument is that the B10 plays all their OOC games the first 3-4 weeks of the season.  When was the last time you played any team from any conference when it was cold?

Johnny-Shane_Utah-Falco's picture

Yes, I know ---- but I mean a hypothetical 1-season dream schedule.

I would just love to see Mark May suffer another beatdown. The butthurt would be monumental.

+1 HS
Knarcisi's picture

May suffers butthurt regardless ...

+2 HS
mr.green's picture

Texas and USC and Alabama would rock.  but I would like to see some better games as secondary OOCs. Why can't we get Pitt and Louisville to come to CBus without visiting their place? BC? Utah State? Central and South Florida? These are all better options than Mac teams and the Florida A&Ms of the world. 

+1 HS
mr.green's picture

Repeat post. Delete

mr.green's picture

I like V tech and navy and Cincy together. That's a good OOC lineup. 

+1 HS

Until Ohio State wins.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

mr.green's picture

Another repeat delete. 

Seattle Linga's picture

So it down Greeny just slow it down

+3 HS
Knarcisi's picture

Says Greeny's old lady ... 

+4 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Never disappointing with your comments

+1 HS
9Route's picture

Football:

@ Georgia (at night, between The Hedges)

@ LSU (at night, Death Valley)

vs. Texas (need to make amends for that '05 game we should have never lost)

vs. Notre Dame ("There will be beetjuice on the field...and it won't be mine." - Urban to Brian Kelly)

Basketball:

@ Kentucky (annoying SEC school that needs brought down to Earth; ton of talent on the floor = fun to watch)

@ Louisville (intense defense & coaching matchup)

vs. Wichita State (payback/Bruce Pearl disciples)

vs. Cincinnati (they just talk to too much for having accomplished so little, little bros)

@ Duke (want another shot at them, and the venue is loco)

I think scheduling tougher nonconference games is a great idea. I know the B1G is tough, but look at MSU's non-conf. schedule every year...it's brutal. That probably correlates to their success in the Tournament.

I'm just happy to be here

+3 HS
Mortc15's picture

Even if you drop a couple of those games like almost all of those teams do, it doesnt really hurt in the end because of the experience you gain. When you add to that the Big Ten's strength, a team like MSU is constantly being tested and shows why they're final 4 caliber almost every single year.

Buck-I4Life

+1 HS
Jpfbuck's picture

how about just a return to the kind of scheduling we did back in the Cooper years, ie like the following

1995 - BC at neutral site, Washington, at PItt and Notre Dame

1990 - Texas Tech, at BC, USC

1994 - Fresno in Cali, at Washington, Pitt and Houston

any version of these kinds of schedules would be fine with me.

+1 HS
c92996p's picture

I would hate to play all four of these teams in the same season.  We would definitely lose to either Bama, Florida, and Oregon especially if we were playing them back to back to back, and Pitt is a lose lose as they are a perceived inferior team that would damage our rep and directly steal local talent if they were to upset us.  BUT you didn't ask for my opinion on this, you asked for teams.  So here mine are:

Football: Georgia, Notre Dame, Duke (I love watching Duke lose regardless of sport), and Arizona (Rich Rod)

Basketball: Florida, Notre Dame (I know I already got that wish this year), Duke (reason stated above), Georgetown, and Oregon

+1 HS
buckeyebowhunter's picture

I'd Love to see an "Ohio Classic" basketball mini-tourney in the non conference.  OSU, Cincy, Dayton, Xavier, OU, Akron, Toledo, BG, Kent State, Cleveland State, Miami, Wright State, Youngstown State.  All teams guaranteed three games, you'd play each team every four years.  It would be great for everyone involved.  

+2 HS
TU-Rocket Buckeye's picture

thinking the same thing for a few years now.., it could be held around Thanksgiving or Christmas time.., after expenses, the proceeds could go to some type of charity.., 16 Ohio teams in 4 mini-tourneys at different state locations.., final four championship game rotated between different arena's in the state.., you could even bring in a few teams from neighboring states (except *ichigan) like KY, WV, IN, PA etc.., to spice it up..,    

brandonbauer87's picture

You might want to trim these lists for football down to three as there will be a nine game conference schedule starting in 2016. 

I think ideally you would have one power team (Oregon, Texas, USC), one mid level (Louisville, Syracuse, Cincy), and a little MACtion.

+4 HS
Baroclinicity's picture

I've always thought this way as well.  And don't start the season with the toughy.

When you're holding a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

Buckeye Chuck's picture

I don't have a problem with playing a tougher football schedule, especially after we move towards a bigger playoff system which has automatic bids for conference champions (thus making a nonconference loss meaningless). The problem is that the program can't afford to play away from home anymore than it does now.

For basketball, I'd like to see a return to the days when we'd use our "off weekend" during the Big Ten season to play a major nonconference opponent in a national TV matchup. I don't know if Matta is down on those because we lost to West Virginia and Tennessee the last couple of times we tried it, but those games are good for exposure.

Aside from that, I don't have a huge issue with the status quo, except that in seasons where we're not in a November tournament, I think we could use at least one more big game besides the ACC game. I would point out that had Marquette and Notre Dame been stronger this past season, our schedule wouldn't have gotten hammered as much as it was.

The most "loud mouth, disrespect" poster on 11W.

tennbuckeye19's picture

Funny you are mentioning this cause I just read that plans were finalized for OSU participating in a four team neutral site "showcase" the next three years with UCLA, Kentucky, and UNC, starting this December.

Matta said OSU's first opponent in the event will be North Carolina in Chicago and each year the opponent and site will rotate. Which means OSU will be playing someone other than UNC in the B1G/ACC challenge this year and OSU will be playing UNC,UK, & UCLA within the next three years. 

http://www.cleveland.com/osu/index.ssf/2014/03/ohio_state_to_play_north_carol.html

+1 HS
OSU_ALUM_05's picture

Can we schedule Grand Rapids High School before another non-conference game and have the scout team knock them out so we can pad our win totals?  2 wins in 1 day.

jamesrbrown322's picture

I know this is not popular, but I'd love to see the Bucks play Cincinnati in both sports annually.

The Texas home and home was awesome. I was disappointed that the Tennessee series was cancelled, as we had been making plans already to save up and go to both games.

Out of everyone possible, I'd love to see the football Buckeyes get a home and home with either FSU or Bama. The passion for either would be insane, and Bama never leaves the South for anything...

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

+2 HS
tennbuckeye19's picture

Bama played a home and home with Penn State a couple years back, @ Bama in 2010, @ PSU in 2011.

+2 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

OKay, you got me. Consistently, Tennessee is the only decent SEC team that is willing to play true a home and homes series outside of the South. Thanks for the clarification.

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

+1 HS
niblick's picture

Tennessee, in both football and basketball, PLEASE!!

+1 HS
Alpo's picture

Home and home with Uconn for basketball, as I'm a Uconn bball fan and think it would be a great matchup. (and football so I could see the buckeyes in ct. Obviously not really a competition although I watched a crappy Husky team nearly beat UM last year!)

+1 HS
allinosu's picture

Won't happen,  need a few home only teams for the university as well as local businesses.

OldColumbusTown's picture

For basketball, I don't necessarily believe playing the Duke's, Kentucky's, UNC's, Kansas's, etc. every year is that great a thing.  One or two of those top programs a year, yes absolutely.  And luckily, with OSU being involved in that preseason tournament classic starting next year, they'll be seeing at least one of those schools plus hopefully a top-level ACC team in the B1G-ACC Challenge.

Along with that, I think it would always be good practice to play 2-3 other good high-major programs each year (Texas, Georgetown, Marquette, Baylor, Tennessee, Memphis, Gonzaga), plus 2-3 really good mid-major schools who you know will have a chance at making the NCAA tournament.  For instance, this year we knew before the season started that Mercer would be a good team (barely missed out on the tournament last year and returned everyone), New Mexico would be good, Belmont, Davidson, etc.

Basketball scheduling is much more fluid each year, with games being scheduled prior to that season rather than 5-7 years in advance.  You can schedule teams who you have a pretty good idea will be good and give you a challenge.

Ideal type of schedule each year would be:  Top-flight programs (Kansas, @UNC), ACC challenge (Duke/Syracuse), good programs (@ Texas, Villanova, Memphis), and good mid-major (Belmont, Western Kentucky).  That is 7-8 possible tournament teams, mixed in with 7-8 sure wins.  This is what Michigan State does each and every year, and they are always better for it in the long run.

ShowThemOhiosHere's picture

The four teams I'd like to see for football are the 4 teams that we really owe one to the most right now:

Florida, USC, LSU, Texas

In basketball:

Kentucky, Kansas, Duke, Wichita State, and North Carolina

Class of 2010.

+1 HS
thatlillefty's picture

Football:
vs. Cincy
at Oregon
vs. Florida
at Oklahoma

Basketball:
Alternating: Kentucky, UConn, Duke, Kansas, UCLA, Cincy

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Football - U DUB - On the road - Only because I want to go to the game again and talk smack to all my U DUB friends

+1 HS
halfmile78's picture

Football - Notre Dame, Alabama

Basketball-- we should play these schools every year(I know it will never happen, but I can always dream):Kentucky, Cincy, Dayton, Xavier, Ohio U, West Virginia.

Halfmile78

Notre Dame keeps saying no.

Seattle Linga's picture

I believe we rolled them the last three times we played them .................. Always looking to give the Irish a beatdown

airbuckeye's picture

Catch5 anything South of the Mason Dixon Line is in the SEC footprint and you honestly believe beating an 8-5 Scum team right in your own back yard at Jerry World is something to brag about? Lets face it Scum has not been a major threat since 2000 except for the year they went 11-2 in 2006. This is a team that lost to App.st and Toledo at Home no less And has far as .Clemson, FSU, Ga Tech, Louisville No all in the SEC footprint.

OscarSierraUniform's picture

Some schools I would like to see on the football schedule are:

Virginia, South Carolina, Stanford, Ole Miss, Mississippi State, Florida, Georgia, Tennessee, Georgia Tech, Baylor, UCLA, Kansas State, BYU

See ball, get ball.

TedGinnIsFasterThanYou's picture

Tennessee and Kansas in both sports please.