Nobody is bringing it up so I thought I would. That safety pay was sooooo much horseshit. That was in no wary a penalty. MSU did the same thing last year against us on that long td pass. Here is the rule:
PENALTY—10 yards (Exception: Penalties for Team A fouls behind the neutral zone are enforced from the previous spot. Safety if the foul occurs behind Team A’s goal line) [S42].
c. A block in the back (other than against the ball carrier) is illegal (A.R. 9-33-I and VII; and A.R. 10-2-2-XII).
1. Offensive players who are on the line of scrimmage at the snap within the blocking zone (Rule 2-3-6) may legally block in the back in the blocking zone, subject to the following restrictions:
(a) A player on the line of scrimmage within this blocking zone may not leave the zone and return and legally block in the back.
(b) The blocking zone disintegrates when the ball leaves the zone (Rule 2-3-6).
2. When a player turns his back to a potential blocker who has committed himself in intent and direction or movement.
3. When a player attempts to reach a runner or legally attempts to recover or catch a fumble, a backward pass, a kick or a touched forward pass, he may push an opponent in the back above the waist (Rule 9-1-5 Exception 3).
4. When the opponent turns his back to the blocker under Rule 9-3-3-a-1(b).
5. When an eligible player behind the neutral zone pushes an opponent in the back above the waist to get to a forward pass (Rule 9-1-5 Exception 4).