PHONE'S RINGING -- IT'S URBAN ON THE LINE
What are your Top 3 Ohio State Football Memories?
1 - 2003 Fiesta Bowl
2 - 2010 Rose Bowl
3 - 2006 Ohio State vs Michigan Game
06 vs TTUP
10 Rose Bowl vs Oregon
03 MNC (i was only a young buck)
10 vs eastern michigan (cause tressel ran up the score) jkjk
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog
1969 Rose Bowl/National Championship (Tatum stopping OJ was tremendous)
2002 - entire year through the BCS game in 2003 (14-0 - what else can you say?)
1974 Rose Bowl - Good guys 42, Trojans 21
Seeing Earle come out in the suit and wearing the fedora was also pretty memorable
From a historical standpoint I'm not sure where exactly this years victory over wisc fits in, but DAMN that felt good!
I know there's a game saturday, and my ass will be there.
2002 OSU football season, begining to end, true team of destiny.
1986 vs Utah, my first game attended with my dad. OSU won 64-6
1992 vs Michigan, first Michigan game, went with my dad, 13-13 tie
I was a photog during my college career at tOSU from 2004-2008 so I was apart and up close for many great memories but none of them compared to the 2002 season and the natl championship game.
1. OSU vs the U- 2003 -"They are 14 and 0"
2. OSU vs scUM- 2006 - on the field for that game. Electric as an atmosphere that u will ever find.
3. Holy Buckeye- 2002 - hence my web name
HM- 2009 Iowa, 2010 Rose Bowl, 2006 Fiesta Bowl, 2005 scUM.
1-3) The Tressel era: As passionately as I hated his offenses, there were plenty of great players and teams throughout the 2000's. Being a student at OSU's main campus in the last half of the decade made it a very special time in my life. Holy Buckeye, 2003 NC, Texas '05, Michigan '06, Sugar Bowl '10, Ginn, Clarrett, Troy Smith, Beanie, Gonzo, Hawk, Animal, Pryor, etc........
2006 OSU vs TTUN
2002 National Championship
1997 Rose Bowl
1969 Rose Bowl
2003 Fiesta Bowl
1997 Rose Bowl
1) '03 Fiesta Bowl (b/c of this.)
2) '06 scUM
3) '02 Purdue (b/c of this.)
4) '10 scUM (first ever Buckeye game in person; 30th bday present)
5) '97 Rose Bowl (b/c of this.)
6) '02 scUM (why isn't this considered one of the BTN's Greatest Games?)
7) '05 scUM (b/c of this.)
8) '06 Texas
9) '06 Fiesta Bowl
10) '10 Rose Bowl / '11 Sugar Bowl
Sorry, couldn't do just 3. These are all so close to each other. Other great memories include the '95 and '96 pastings of Notre Lame. '11 Wisconsin, '09 and '10 Iowa, '08 Wisconsin, '04 Marshall (wow, really?), '03 NC State
1. 2003 Fiesta Bowl
2. 2005-06 Ohio State vs Michigan Game. I would love the 2006 game more if it weren't for the memory of what came in January.-_-
3. 1997 Rose Bowl
4. Braxton's pass to Smith against Wisconsin. If that were in the NC, I might have died. lol
The First Half of the 2011 Sugar Bowl.
Dominating Texas in 06
"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.
Mine aren't so much games as they are moments.
1) 11W hit a homerun when they wrote up an article about Mo C. I was entering my sophmore year when Mo C arrived on campus. My entire freshman year I remember following recruiting and hearing about the young man out of Youngstown. I was at the un godly hot TTU game and when he stepped foot on the field-the stadium lit up like nothing I saw up to that point or since. When he broke off that first big one, there wasn't a fan in the stands who didn't think "#13 is the next number to get retired". Oh how right it could have all been.
2) Jonathan Wells broke of a massive TD run against NU. This was the year before. My first game at the shoe-a night game no less-against the ranked nerds from Evanston. One Carry set the tempo of that one.
3) Will Allen's INT of The Navasaurus in 2002. Not many people realize just how close that play was to being a heartbreaker. If we lose that game, we drop from NC contender to third in the Big Ten. Will Allen played a single high safety on that play, the receiver (I want to say Braylon but I dont know if it was him) got beyond the corner in a zone look and Allen stepped in front of the ball on the one. That thing was close to being a TD...like REALLY close.
4-6 seconds from point A to point B and when you get to point B, be pissed off
In my lifetime, overall:
1. 2002 National Championship
2. 2006 OSU/Michigan
3. Rose Bowls - 2010/1997 tie for 3rd
1. Any other BCS win (2011 Sugar, 2004/6 Fiesta, 1999 Sugar)
2. Michigan wins in 2002, 2005, 2004, 2001 (in that order)
3. 2009 Iowa
4. 2011 Wisconsin
Class of 2010.
1) #1 vs #2... simply cant get any bigger or better
2) The whole 02 season... cincy game, at wisconsin, holy buckeye, at illinois, scum and of course taking down miami
3) Rose Bowl vs Oregon... shutting down chip kelly's offense and ending the 3 game bowl losing streak was so sweet
HM: 09 USC game... took my girlfriend to her first game... loudest i have ever heard the shoe
1) The 2003 Fiesta Bowl...wasn't there, but lots of my friends were. Watched the game with my brother in the tricked out basement of a friend's house. Probably the greatest college football game ever played. I attended the celebration at the 'Shoe in January, good lord it was the coldest, windiest damned day ever. It had just snowed, and the wind was blowing snow all over everyone in the stands. Cie Grant's Carmen Ohio, Script Ohio in the snow with 13 seniors dotting the I...wow...glad to be able to say I was there for that one.
2) The 2010 Rose Bowl...was at this one, the only bowl game I've been to. Such an unreal experience that I'm pretty much ruined from ever attending any other bowl.
3) 2002 Michigan game. The first of only 2 Michigan games I've ever attended (the other was 2004). Chanting for Maurice the Beast, getting the first back-to-back wins over Blue in f'ing forever's time. Rushed the field...have a picture of me and some fraternity brothers, OSU cheerleaders and Brutus with the 14-9 scoreboard in the background = Priceless. Had the most epic party thereafter.
2006 The Game
2005 The Game - specifically, Gonzo's catch
2010 Rose Bowl - specifically, Ballard's catch
2011 Sugar Bowl
1. Every moment of 2002, but Holy Buckeye still makes me teary. Thank you, Krenzel, for deciding to air it out and ignoring the underneath route that was the primary.
2. 2006 vs. TSUN. I've been to many OSU games in my 40 years, but that was actually the first time I've been to the biggest game of the year in person (I live in DC, having moved out of Ohio relatively young). Just a fantastic game.
3. The 2005 Texas game. Yeah, I know they lost. It was the best game they played all year against a great QB, and I still think that year's Bukeye team was the best I've seen since I started watching in 1981.
I feel bad leaving out the 97 Rose Bowl, Illinois in 84, Iowa in 85, penn state in 95, penn state the year Antonio Smith and the other CB (can't remember his name right now, but maybe Jenkins?) returned ints for TDs practically in a row, every game with Chris Spielman, every moment of Ted Ginn, watching Orlando Pace just mangle people, and many others.
I also rank highly the 2001 Bowl loss to South Carolina. The team was down big and rallied to end up losing 31-28. I've always felt like the second half of that game established the mindset that carried them through 2002. I feel the same way about the Bowl loss to Texas a few years ago.
Only three? There've been a lot but....
1. 97 Rose tied with 2003 Fiesta NC
2. 2010 Rose - Chip Kelly was so confident (arrogant really) he all but guaranteed the win. After the three prior years of pain - this felt good.
3. Braxton versus Wisconsin 2011 tied with 2006 vs UM.
2006 vs Texas was good. I was lucky enough to be there.
2011 Sugar Bowl was on this list, but I vacated it in order to avoid personal sanctions from the NCAA.
The world is full of kings & queens who'll blind your eyes & steal your dreams - it's heaven & hell - Ronnie James Dio.
The 2003 Fiesta Bowl has to be my best. My wife and I went to that game. Being in the stadium was other worldly. Tears of joy still well up every time I think of that game. Thanks you Coach for that one.
A close second was the 2006 AACC game. Bo dying the night before, #1 vs #Poo. I was there for that one as well. The excitement for the game was off the charts.
Because it is so fresh Wisky this year was pretty darn fun. Anytime we beat the Fightin' Bilemia's is fun.
Mine largely revolve around the experience that accompanied the games.
2005 vs. Michigan: I was an RA in Baker East and hosted a hall party in our rec room. The Catch happened, we all went nuts, we won, and we all collectively ran off campus to 13th to drink with our friends. When we got there, Hang On Sloopy was playing and people were dancing and drinking in their yards and on their roofs.
2006 vs. Michigan: My first full gameday experience. We got up early for College Gameday, consumer good food and cheap beer all day. We never sat down at our seats four rows from the top of C-Deck. I was convinced that the fate of our team hinged upon me clapping seven times between the set and the snap (yes, I wasn't paying attention and am solely responsible for Troy's fumbled snap in the 4th. I still do the Seven Clap Snap™ to this day.). We rushed the field all the way from the top deck.
2009 vs. Michigan: My second time in the Big House and the most drunk I've ever been for a football game. We ate and drank with our Michigan friends before the game (my first experience(s) with double shots of Patron) and parted at the stadium. I only remembered one Forcier interception (history tells me there were four), but I do remember singing We Don't Give A Damn all day long. The away section was incredible and the bars were a blast afterward.
Honorable mentions: 2011 vs. Wisconsin (Pure magic. Homecoming, night game, sweet uniforms, sweet game) 2002 vs. Miami (I was a junior in high school and watched the game alone at my house, keeping it out of my top 3), and 2006 vs. Penn State (Doing the "Heisman" chant in The Shoe is unforgettable).
Gordon Gee's signature is on my diploma. I'm proud of that. Class of 2008
Mine kind of go a way back (at least the first two), from when I was a student at OSU. I put these up front, simply because I was there for these games:
1984: vs. Illinois. Good guys went down 24-7, and then 31-14, I think, and Keith Byars decided he had enough and ran WILD. Bucks came back and won 45-38 on the back of Byars. Yeah, Eddie George was awesome, and he has a spot in my heart, but that performance by Byars was the most dominating single game performance I've ever seen.
1985: vs. Iowa. The Hawks were the #1 team in the country and QB Chuck Long was the odds on favorite to win the Heisman. Yeah, both of those went out the window in a game played in freezing rain. I was sitting in the student section, freezing, kinda drunk--and loving every minute of it. When the game was over, we pulled down the goalposts, and a group of us carried one through campus onto High St.
1997 Rose Bowl. Watched that in a tent in Bosnia with some jackass ASU fans, and one other OSU fan. Heh.
2003 Fiesta Bowl. Greatest football game ever played.
2006 #1 v. #2. Was at at a friends house who is a Michigan fan. 70-30 Michigan fans there. Heh.
2001 UM v OSU. I was deployed after 9/11. Very emotional game for me. Never really knew the outpouring of support we had over there from everyone here as I was in special ops and we had just gotten TV and communications from the outside world a week before. It really hit me how cool it is to be an American, and to be able to live in a free society, where we can celebrate the traditions that make us who we are without fear. The fact that Tressel fulfilled his promise made it even sweeter.
2006 michigan game not so much because Coach Tressel instilled a spirit of entitlement. The Rose Bowl against Jake Plummer ended quite honestly, years of fustration.
My top three (no particular order):
'01 TSUN- I was there. Amazing experience. Completely extinguished 13 years of frustration. My only regret was that I wasn't born a few years later (graduated spring of '02 BEFORE that great NC season).
'03 MNC- Obviously. I watched with my (ex)wifes family, her uncle was in the band in '68 when we beat OJ and USC for the previous NC.
'87 TSUN- GREAT game. Shows what it truly means to be a Buckeye. The way the players reacted (let Earle hit the sled at senior tackle), the way the students reacted (the band showing up at Earles house), the fact that they played and coached so hard in an otherwise meaningless game says it all.
I would have put '06 TSUN on this list before January '07. I can't even watch replays of that game now. It just makes me sick to my stomach knowing what comes next.
VIEW ALL »
Scarlet and Gray, Every Day.
Quite simply, Eleven Warriors is the largest free Ohio State site on the internet. We're committed to remaining free and delivering you the Buckeye news and analysis you deserve.
Our Story | Meet the Staff
© 2006-2013 Eleven Warriors LLC.
Eleven Warriors is not affiliated with The Ohio State University. View full disclaimer.
The easiest way for you to contribute is to join the community. Signing up for a new account is 100% free, takes seconds and allows you to comment, participate in the forum and create your own blog posts.
If you'd like to support us with your wallet, you can: buy one of our amazing shirts or shop Amazon with this link. (Your prices remain the same and we get a commission).
We love hearing from you! Whether you want to work with us, discuss advertising opportunities, or pass us a hot tip, you're more than welcome to drop us a line.