College Sports Forum

College Sports Forum

College sports fan talk.

B1G on Amazon Prime?

+2 HS
hetuck's picture
May 12, 2017 at 8:27am
19 Comments

The new B1G TV contract will expire in six years, before the other existing conference TV contracts. That means they would have first crack at streaming rights. Here is a good look at the implications. 

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/blogs/mckewon-husker-football-on-amazon-pri...

Details of the new contract should be revealed next week when Fox and ESPN do their roll-outs. I'll be curious to see the rules for game selection pecking order. Will Fox get first choice every week in return for paying a premium? If so, will they choose OSU-IU to premier their coverage? Or will TTUN retain media rights for their neutral site game with Florida? Given that choice, I think OSU on Thursday would bring in a bigger audience as it will be the only game of the day (yes, I know there are other games like Buffalo-Minnesota. Dozens wait in anticipation of rowing that boat.)

On another note, Matt Sarz, writer of an excellent blog I've previously referenced, speculates ESPN timed their layoffs to put separation between announcement of the new B1G TV deal. ESPN can survive without fewer bloviators; they need live sports to draw an audience. 

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 19 Comments