College Sports Forum

College Sports Forum

College sports fan talk.

Kansas State Coach Bill Snyder Diagnosed With Cancer

+18 HS
BUCKEYE3M's picture
February 14, 2017 at 4:20pm
46 Comments

One of college football's iconic coaches, Kansas State HC Bill Snyder, has been diagnosed with throat cancer.  Snyder has been somewhat scarce around the Vanier Family Football Complex, I've heard, and there were rumblings all around town last week, finally heating up over the weekend and being picked up by the national media.

I attended the Kansas - K-State basketball game last Monday night, and the 77 year-old Hall of Fame coach wasn't in his usual seat.  This is unusual, as he rarely misses home games, much less ones of such importance to the school.  I heard some speculate that he was ill.

When news broke that Snyder was "seeking treatment for an undisclosed medical condition in a Kansas City-area hospital, I immediately told my wife: "cancer".  The KU Medical Center, located in Kansas City, Kansas, is one the leading oncology centers in America, and my boss, himself, beat throat cancer with their help.  

I've thought about Woody Hayes seeking cancer treatment in Ann Arbor, and laughed to myself thinking he'd rather die.  But, in 2017, you head down the road and get the best possible treatment.

Coach Snyder did make an appearance in front of the press on NSD, and didn't raise any suspicion, but it soon followed.  

Recently, I had an employee retire following over 40 years of service to our nation, and Coach Snyder took the time to send him a really nice hand-written letter for his retirement, applauding him for his service.  He's just a good guy, and it seems like we have more whack jobs like Kiffin and Harbaugh in college football today than we do good guys.

Here's to hoping Snyder gets to go out on his terms, and live a good life.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 46 Comments