College Sports Forum

College sports fan talk.

Most improved teams in 2017?

+1 HS
MiamiBuckeye's picture
January 25, 2017 at 2:12pm
27 Comments

Damn offseason got a man bored.

Based on things like new hires, recruiting, returning talent, momentum, transfers, etc., which FBS teams do you see as standing to improve the most?

I'll get one out of the way now: Ohio State. New offensive staff, a returning QB in JT Barrett who can only figure to improve from last year's mostly good year, a more seasoned O-line, and the services of one Kerry "Booms" Coombs and one Greg Schiano to ensure the defensive secondary remains an elite force. Of their three toughest regular season challenges, they get two of them (Penn State and Oklahoma) at home, and while they play Michigan at Ann Arbor, with all the key losses especially on defense for Michigan, the game may be closer to 2015's 42-13 beatdown (worth noting that for the entire first half that was a closely contested game) than to 2016's 2OT instaclassic.

Some others:

Texas. Even if Tom "Mensa" Herman doesn't live up to the lofty expectations set for him, it's hard to see him not improving on a 5-7 record in a weak conference like the Big 12. 7-5 should be the bare minimum, but I wouldn't be terribly surprised if he got them to 9-3 with a signature win against someone like Oklahoma.

FSU. I think they beat Clemson for what feels like the first time in forever (hard to believe it's only been 2 years--feels so much longer), and Louisville gets embarrassed in Doak Campbell. The really interesting matchup is their opener vs Alabama. If FSU can topple Alabama in Week 1 it will change the complexion of the entire season.

Minnesota. Rowing the boat? Oh you better believe that's a paddlin. I think PJ Fleck takes Minnesota to its second consecutive 9-win season in his maiden voyage as HC, maybe even 10 wins counting a bowl game. Predicting now that Minnesota finishes ranked and finally takes back the axe from Wisconsin.

Oregon. New coach, new ideas. Hard not to improve on a 4-8 record.

Michigan State. Back to 8 wins for Dantonio, 3 of their losses come to Big Ten East opponents because winning the Big Ten East suddenly isn't just about upsetting Urban Meyer.

Georgia. I mean, they're overdue for some success, aren't they? In this case improvement means getting back to Mark Richt's 9-win per season formula.

Any others you can think of, and why?

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 27 Comments