College Sports Forum

College Sports Forum

College sports fan talk.

Something which makes me hate TTUN slightly less

0 HS
Brutus's picture
January 10, 2017 at 5:39pm
32 Comments

If you don't like videos of a college kid finding out he just earned a walk-on scholarship, then you are cynical, soulless, and just mean. Some are done better than others, but I find all of them touching.  Here's a different spin on these videos, courtesy of TTUN and Coach Beilein:

http://deadspin.com/michigan-pulls-off-the-walk-on-scholarship-surprise-pre-1791029879

Apolgies for not just embedding the video, but I don't Internet well. So as not to link and dash, here's a synopsis in case you don't want to watch:

walk-on guard Andrew Dakich, son of former Indiana player and ESPN commentator Dan Dakich, has requested to redshirt each of the past two seasons; both times, he was denied the redshirt and instead suited up to provide a few minutes here and there as a reserve. This mainly affected his eligibility, as he’s scored just 22 points and 24 rebounds in three years of play. 

After keeping one scholarship open in case of a midseason transfer, Michigan basketball coach John Beilein decided to surprise Dakich with a scholarship for the 2017 winter term, the senior’s final semester as a Wolverine. Rather than just up and announce the thing at the end of a bad speech, Beilein opted instead to have a pair of Michigan campus police officers crash a team meeting.

I have no quarrel with Beilein, apart from poor taste in employers so I can appreciate him doing this. I can't see Harbaugh being thoughtful or caring enough for something like this, but I do think he has an interesting sense of humor so maybe.  I also like listening to Dan Dakich call a game so it's kind of cool that this happened to his son.  Anyway, enjoy.

TL;DR version: Not everything that happens at TTUN sucks.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 32 Comments