College Sports Forum

College Sports Forum

College sports fan talk.

Stoops interview regarding Mixon

+3 HS
Brutus's picture
December 22, 2016 at 12:28am
82 Comments

Pretty good interview of Stoops on ESPN regarding Mixon assaulting a woman a few years ago:

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/18328194/bob-stoops-oklahoma-sooners-says-joe-mixon-suspension-not-enough-today

I don't have any strong opinions of Stoops either way though I was disappointed to learn that he saw the video shortly after the incident and the best he could come up with was "suspending" Mixon for his freshman year, which really only amounted to him redshirting since he lost no eligibility. He did say this however:

Two-and-a-half years ago, thought we had a significant penalty, a strong penalty," Stoops said Wednesday. "Now, it isn't enough. These individuals can't have a second chance. Just not acceptable.

"These individuals can't have a second chance." Those are about as strong of words that I've ever heard when it comes to player discipline, especially at the college level where coaches constantly talk about not abandoning a kid after one mistake.

Stoops strikes me as a straight-shooter but I'm wondering is this truly how he feels or is he just covering his own ass now that the video is out. Breaking a woman's face is just as horrible a crime 2.5 years ago as it is today so I'm skeptical. But it's still refreshing to hear a coach be so blunt. I hope Stoops and every other coach in every sport adopt this same philosophy when it comes to violent crimes of this magnitude. There isn't a Buckeye past or present that I could root for if there was video of him doing what Mixon did.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 82 Comments