College Sports Forum

College Sports Forum

College sports fan talk.

Father/Son College GameDay Experience

+22 HS
huber57's picture
November 26, 2016 at 8:37pm
22 Comments

Disclaimer: If you are looking for amazing insights look elsewhere. Just sharing our ESPN College GameDay adventure here.

My son is 13 and every idea he has is a good one.

He hatched a plan to go to College GameDay with two of his buddies. After attending College GameDay when ESPN was here for the Michigan State game last year, he knew that we needed to get there EARLY to makes sure our signs were on TV.

Oh yeah, and we had to make signs, too.

So, we set out designing our signs (with my crazy good MS Visio and clip art skillz) and here is how they turned out.

This morning, we woke up at 3:30am (not since my Army days have I done that for something so foolish) and, two stops later to pick up the homies, we were in The Pit heading north on foot to the RPAC. We got there at 5am and (wouldn't you know) the line to get into College GameDay snaked from the RPAC all the way up Annie and John Glenn Avenue (what you may know as 17th Street) to Neil Avenue. In other words, there were a shitload of students there; some of who were there since yesterday at 7pm (This College GameDay stuff is a young man's game...).

However, we were able to camp out directly behind the GameDay pen for a great view of the action. This vantage gave us insight on which signs make it through and which ones are relegated to the graveyard of inappropriate signs. You can read the one on top but others included "I'd rather shower at Penn State than go to Michigan" and "Harbaugh's Heroin Hut: Free Samples"; while most of them made mention of Harambe (ESPN doesn't like Harambe mentions, FYI.).

We stayed just long enough to assume we were on TV and to get some "sweet Home Depot gloves" before finding a tailgate. There my son was interviewed by Phil Kelly from Channel 6, the local ABC affiliate).

My son's crowning achievement was having his sign make it on College GameDay's Twitter account.

A great bonding experience for me and my son. Maybe it was a good idea after all. (And, yes, he knows what the Scoville Scale is.)

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 22 Comments