Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. Remember: no politics, religion, or hot-button social issues.

I must be losing it LOL - Soup recipe

+9 HS
airbuckeye's picture
October 14, 2016 at 3:45pm
35 Comments

I can't believe I could not get my password right wow any ways I wanted share a recipe a friend sent to me since I know there are a lot of cooks on here and I figured some one might like it.

I combined ideas from a few recipes I found online. Unfortunately, I don’t have the links because I looked at so many.
Ingredients:

about 1 lb kielbasa (one package is usually between 13-16oz), sliced lengthwise and cut into 1/2” half-moons
6 ears of corn, husks and silks removed
1 1/2 quarts low-sodium chicken or vegetable stock
1 bay leaf
1 tsp whole fennel seed
1 tsp whole coriander seed
1 tsp whole black peppercorns
2 tbsp butter
1 medium onion, finely diced (about 1 cup)
2 medium cloves garlic, minced
3 tbsp flour
1 lb red or yellow baby potatoes, cut into 1/2” dice
2 C half & half
kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste

Directions:

In a large bowl, place another bowl or cup upside down so you have a raised surface to remove the corn kernels. Cut the end off of the corn cob so you have a flat surface to set down. Hold the corn cob upright, cut end down, on the upside down bowl and slice off the kernels, allowing them and their juice to fall into the large bowl. Set the corn cobs aside to make the stock.
Use the back of the knife to scrape any of the remaining kernels & liquid from the corn cobs into a medium saucepan. Break corn cobs in half and place in the saucepan as well. Add stock, bay leaf, fennel seed, coriander seed, and peppercorns. Stir to combine. Bring to a boil over high heat then reduce the heat to low. Simmer for at least 10 minutes then strain through a fine mesh strainer and discard the solid bits. Set the liquid aside.
While stock simmers, in a large pot (I used my large dutch oven) over medium heat, cook the kielbasa until it browns. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside. There should be a little fat in the pot. To that, add the butter and let it melt. Add the onions, garlic, and corn kernels and cook, stirring frequently, until the onions are softened and the kernels are tender, about 7-10 minutes. Reduce the heat if the butter begins to brown. Add the flour and cook, stirring constantly, for about a minute.
Gradually add the infused corn stock, stirring constantly, until the mixture comes to a simmer. Add the reserved kielbasa, the potatoes, and 1 tsp salt. Return to simmer and allow to cook, stirring occasionally, until the potatoes are tender. Add the half & half and stir to combine. Season to taste with salt & pepper. Serve immediately.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 35 Comments