College Sports Forum

College Sports Forum

College sports fan talk.

The Brotherhood: Navy Upsets Houston

+15 HS
NavyBuckeye91's picture
October 11, 2016 at 2:15pm
30 Comments

It's no secret who I was pulling for in the battle of Mids vs. MENSA. Saturday's game was the biggest upset in Navy-Marine Corps Stadium history since the Midshipmen dumped #2 ranked South Carolina in 1984 in what Gamecocks fans have dubbed the "South Carolina's Greatest Disaster." Had SCar won that game, they would've jumped to #1 in the nation (Nebraska lost to OU that weekend) with only the Clemson game remaining on the way to the Orange Bowl and a NC matchup with the Big 8 champs. The Gamecocks had beaten FSU, UGA and Notre Dame.  Navy, however, came into that game 4-6-1 and stunned SCar and the nation with a 38-21 victory.

This weekend, Navy pulled a similar, although less stunning feat by toppling #6 Houston. The Mids lost their starting QB to a knee injury in the second quarter of game one, and played back up Will Worth, a 6'1" 210 lb Senior from Lithia, FL, in his fourth collegiate start. Worth had one college offer and zero stars out of HS. Navy also lost their defensive captain and starting MLB, Daniel Gonzalez, to a season ending injury last week in a 28-14 loss to Air Force. Coming into this pivotal AAC tilt with Houston, Navy was 4-1 and looking anything but intimidating. The offense has sputtered, and the team struggled to beat UConn and Tulane. Houston was undefeated, and many were looking to the Houston-Louisville game as possible ticket to the College Football Playoff for the winner. And yet, the Mids found a way to win.

Coming into the game, the Cougars had given up 215 points in five games but only 210 total yards rushing: a ridiculous stat. Navy rushed for 306 yards against the #1 rushing defense in the country. Navy also managed three pass completions on five attempts, including two for TDs. In a day plagued by mistakes for the Cougars (3 turnovers including a pick six, a blocked PAT & a punt snapped out of the endzone for a safety), the Mids capitalized on every opportunity and held on for an epic win.

Navy Football runs a series of videos each year chronicling their season titled "The Brotherhood". I'm sharing this week's episode for all those who cheer for the underdog (when they aren't playing your favorite team, of course). Not gonna lie, it got a little dusty in here as I watched it the first time. As Buckeye fans, we are rarely in the underdog position, which is probably why 2014 tasted so sweet. I've experienced life as the underdog more often than not as a Navy fan. A win like this, and the ensuing celebration are why we play sports. It is the pure joy of the unexpected, and the shared comaraderie of playing like there's no tomorrow for the man or woman beside you. It's for The Brotherhood.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 30 Comments