College Sports Forum

College Sports Forum

College sports fan talk.

michigan hate is real, and it is going mainstream. Hilarious column in the Wall Street Journal

+3 HS
gumtape's picture
October 4, 2016 at 9:15am
45 Comments

This guy, in a national paper, spent an entire column hating on Michigan. He works for the WSJ and apparently has to deal with a department that "reeks of wolverine".

You have to understand: my employer, The Wall Street Journal, reeks of Wolverine. Absolutely reeks. I’d say a solid three-quarters of the people I’ve worked with in the Journal sports department went to Michigan. At one point, my editor, my editor’s editor, and my editor’s editor’s editor were all Michigan people. One of the paper’s most senior editors is a Wolverine. I don’t even ask where the interns come from anymore.

And I’m telling you, it makes a lonely Badger feel invisible. The Journal Wolverines have secret handshakes and inside jokes and a monthly midnight meeting in the newsroom, where they talk about how awesome Ann Arbor was, how handsome Tom Brady is, and laugh as they read from a list of people they know who didn’t get into Michigan. On Fridays before big games, they show up to meetings wearing blue and yellow—oh, I’m sorry, maize—face paint. They hum the Michigan fight song, “The Victors,” in the elevator. They speak their own language: Schembechler.

So we can add Columnist Jason Gay to the list that includes Paul Finebaum, Dan Rubenstein, and Ty Hildebrand of people that agree that michigan is the worst.

I also propose that from now on we refer to Harbaugh as "Mr Khakipants" or "Coach Khakipants".

The whole thing is here. http://www.wsj.com/articles/the-michigan-wolverines-are-back-ugh-1475103687

There is also a rebuttal from the staff, but it is behind a paywall, which, in my mind, is the most chickenshit michigan thing of this entire story.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/a-rebuttal-to-jason-gay-1475245637?tesla=y

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 45 Comments