College Sports Forum

College Sports Forum

College sports fan talk.

College Fantasy Football Concept

+1 HS
NGBuck21's picture
September 25, 2016 at 1:00am
4 Comments

So I have been watching football all day and thought how cool it would be to have a different and unique way to go about college fantasy. I play NFL fantasy but I just watch so much more college football as it is way more exciting in my opinion. What sucks about college is there are around 125 teams and there are just so many players. The NFL you can have 10-14 players in a league, and there are 53 players on 32 teams. So the ratio is just so much better which makes for better competition.

So I had an idea to try and frame college fantasy towards the real life counterpart. Conference by conference with a 4 team playoff. As mentioned I am just thinking on the fly here as a more creative way to do this. First thing is you would have to have a bunch of people who are detail oriented and super into college football. So here comes the bullet points:

-Only include power 5 conferences

-Have 20 players minimum (4 owners per conference being the minimum). You almost have to have the same amount of teams in each conference for this to work I feel.

-The 4 owners per each league would only have access to the players in their selected conference

-Drafts would be done per conference before the season. So this would operate almost like leagues within a giant league.

-There would be a commissioner and then conference commissioners to make things easier.

-Communication would have to be old school as for as setting lineups, replacing injured players, putting in waivers, etc

As for the schedule, just as in real life, you would have non-conference games. Real life has 15 weeks. The 15th week is only Army-Navy, and week 14 is some leftover games along with the conference championships. So the regular season would be week 1-11 with week 12-13 being the 4 team playoff.

-Since there are 5 conferences you would have 4 non-conference games

-You would have 7 conference games

-You can make the non-conf and conf scheduling random but if you have the same players year to year you can make a formula after the 1st year

-Your team would face one opponent from every other conference each year. Again, if you have the same players year to year you can make it so if you finish 1st in your conference, the next year you would face the #1 team from every other conference. If you finish 2nd you would face the the team that finished 2nd from every other conference. So on and so forth.

Determining the playoff field

-So the first criteria is overall record. Best 4 teams get in the playoff. If you just did conference champs the non-conference games become meaningless in my opinion.

-Tie breakers

-If the 4th spot is tied between 2 teams from the same conference:

-Head 2 head

-Conference record

-Non-conf record

-Overall fantasy points

-If the 4th spot is tied between 2 teams from different conferences:

-Head 2 head

-Non-conf records

-Conf records

-Overall fantasy points

-Tie breakers for multiple teams (Haven't thought this far)

Haha, after typing out all these thoughts it may just be easier to do regular fantasy between 10-14 players with all players available. College fantasy is just kind of boring that way. 4-5 players per conference with only conference players being allowed just seems like it would be more exciting. Maybe not.

Which honestly if you wanted you could nix the whole non-conference aspect of this set up. That way you can have 4 -6 players per conference and just start week 1. Then at the end take the top 4 conference champs and pit those teams in a 4 team playoff. Or instead of ending the regular season in week 11, you could end it week 10. Then include all conference champs where the 4th and 5th seed have a play in game to face the #1 seed in the playoff. The 4th and 5th seed would play week 11 with the semis week 12, and the championship week 13.

I am just babbling ideas at this point. Pretty sure my rant stems from the bye week and having no "fantasy" outlet for college football since the video games were taken away. I used to do an online dynasty with guys and it was epic. You had to choose a shit program and we had multiple people in the power conferences. So my terrible fantasy college idea above is kind of like that online dynasty mode. Although in the video game it was still awesome with only a handful of people whereas this fantasy idea needs a lot of people.

I know this idea is kind of a pipe dream as you need several people per each conference but I figured I'd jot my thoughts down and see if I get any responses. If not, oh well. Apologies for the novel.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 4 Comments