College Sports Forum

College Sports Forum

College sports fan talk.

Tuesday Ramblings - Offseason Troubles

+14 HS
YTOWNBUCKI's picture
August 30, 2016 at 8:18am
206 Comments

The Pulitzer Prize deserving Ramblings are coming back to you on a Tuesday.  It just feels right. The offseason is over; it's time for me to get my shit together.

Unless you've been living under a rock you're aware, via Eleven Warriors, that Torrance Gibson has been suspended for the year for violating OSU Code of Conduct.  And then, interestingly enough, Urban Meyer said he disagreed with it.  It's unclear whether Meyer disagrees with the entire idea that Gibson is suspended or if it is the length of the suspension.  Either way, it's not a good look for all involved.

The only good thing about this is that there is indeed a conduct policy and it is being adhered to.  Maybe we can't say the same for Mississippi State and Dan Mullen.  One of the DL, Nick James, was arrested for his fourth (!) time since arriving on campus.

From NBCSports:

It’s his fourth arrest in the past three years.

James was arrested previously for driving without insurance in 2013, disorderly conduct and driving with a suspended license in 2014, and public intoxication in February of last year.

The latest arrest came at 1:36 Sunday morning for public intoxication, according to the Starkville Daily News.

Look, those aren't horrendous crimes, but there seems to be a pattern here.  James clearly has no respect for the law or his own team for that matter and it's unclear whether or not Mullen will do something about it.

Mullen has, after all, shown a willingness to do absolutely nothing when even a recruit is arrested for assault on a woman.  The recruit, Jeffrey Simmons, was caught on video hitting a woman several times, according to ESPN.

Simmons was arrested in March and charged with simple assault and disturbing the peace after a video emerged on social media that appeared to show him hitting a woman several times after she fell to the ground. The defensive end prospect, who was ranked 84th overall in the 2016 ESPN 300 and signed with the Bulldogs in February, is awaiting legal resolution of the incident.

You all know this story.  But the best part is that MSU and Mullen only suspended him for the season opener.  For beating a woman.  And yet Torrance Gibson faces a season long suspension for code of conduct violations that aren't even being made public.  Makes you think...

Now for the off topic nonsense.  We had my daughter's second birthday party this weekend a few weeks after the fact due to my wife's surgery.  Things went well.  I got pretty drunk on cheap domestic light beer.  It was hot.  The night was capped off with some fireworks and the cops showing up to my house to tell me to knock it off.  They actually received a call about gunshots in the area which, if you saw where I lived, is ridiculous.

Your beer of the week this week is Heavy Melon by New Belgium.  They list is as an ale with watermelon and lime and it is definitely pretty tasty.  Oh, and I picked up a bottle of Blanton's Bourbon this past week and it's delightful.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 206 Comments